COVID and Rehab

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinH

Hello, I’d like to get opinions on what everyone post op is doing for cardio physical therapy with Covid. I am asking for my 83 year old Mom who just started her rehab at a facility in Scottsdale, Arizona. And now the number of cases are rising. Should she hold off? Are there programs I should inquire about for the home? Thank you!

I don't know much but would guess that if she's already in the rehab facility, there is probably no additional risk to take the offered physical therapy.

That's a great question. I started my cardio rehab in September and while my insurance would keep paying for sessions until the end of the year, I made the choice after Thanksgiving (and about 20 sessions) to stop due to the risk/reward ratio of covid. I'm in Texas. I already work out every day so the benefit of getting me into the habit of working out was nil. My purpose of going was to be monitored in the early days to gain confidence and I do think there's a benefit to that.

The facility was not crowded, with about 5 workers and maybe 3-5 patients at a time. Everyone wore masks. It is not fun to wear a mask while really working up a sweat on the treadmill but it's the only way I would have done it in this era. Not sure what I'd advise, but I think it might warrant a call to your doctor for an opinion. Of course the rehab facility will be all for it, but these are crazy times.

I was never offered rehab back in March. Sent me home with paperwork showing what exercises I should be doing and was told I could walk as much as I felt up to. I didn't even physically see my cardiologist till July, everything was over video. I did walk a lot back then but was limited due to the clot in my artery going to my right leg. I'm having a stent put in tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to walk without pain after. I'm only 56 so I'm not sure what your mom will be allowed to do.

Peggy

Latest posts

Back