COVID-19 - How are you spending your time?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm enjoying the quiet in our garden - the main road not far from our house is noticeably less noisy now that there are far fewer cars driving along it. I can hear the birds singing loudly in our tree and bushes :)

The weather is beautiful and I'm catching up on DIY jobs and listening to music - trying to distract myself from worry re the virus and grocery availability.

I'm enjoying the quiet in our garden - the main road not far from our house is noticeably less noisy now that there are far fewer cars driving along it. I can hear the birds singing loudly in our tree and bushes :)

The weather is beautiful and I'm catching up on DIY jobs and listening to music - trying to distract myself from worry re the virus and grocery availability.

Well, they sound like pleasant distractions. Flower garden or vegetable garden or both? I’m sure you’ve mentioned it here before. I just don’t recall.

Locally, I think our melancholy is exacerbated by the early spring/late winter weather. No snow to enjoy. Temps around freezing. Grey skies. My lake picture, it was 38 degrees. The seagull is a better indication the sky that day. Making due though. Supposed to reach the mid 50’s F the rest of this week so that’s exciting!

Hello from Washigton State!
Our state begins lockdown today (wednesday), Mathias and I have been in our own lock down since early last week because of exposure where he works. It's been okay, the sun has been shining!

We got married February 29th, so we are taking the time to get announcements together and updated our registry after going through our storage units and seeing what we need or needs updating. Send the announcements out yesterday (electronically, unfortunately. Couldn't get them printed in a timely fashion with the correct state of affairs). I've cleaned the house more times that I'd like to acknowledge and been trying to be creative with cooking what I've got here in the house.

Hope everyone is well and staying positive during the uncertainty! We are trying our best but it weighs on you after awhile.
Much love,
Jill

Our state begins lockdown today (wednesday), Mathias and I have been in our own lock down since early last week because of exposure where he works. It's been okay, the sun has been shining!

We got married February 29th, so we are taking the time to get announcements together and updated our registry after going through our storage units and seeing what we need or needs updating. Send the announcements out yesterday (electronically, unfortunately. Couldn't get them printed in a timely fashion with the correct state of affairs). I've cleaned the house more times that I'd like to acknowledge and been trying to be creative with cooking what I've got here in the house.

Hope everyone is well and staying positive during the uncertainty! We are trying our best but it weighs on you after awhile.
Much love,
Jill

Congratulations on your marriage. It's worth it!

I've been married more years than not. For long term success in a relationship, having the "glue" of marriage can help.

Congratulations on your marriage. It's worth it!

I've been married more years than not. For long term success in a relationship, having the "glue" of marriage can help.
Thank you very much! What is the "glue" of marriage to you? I imagine it's different for everyone. We've been together 10 years now, but 25 whole days of marriage! 😂 I feel our relationship is strong because of our trust in each other, and our not taking each other or ourselves too seriously...we like to laugh.

Well, they sound like pleasant distractions. Flower garden or vegetable garden or both? I’m sure you’ve mentioned it here before. I just don’t recall.

Locally, I think our melancholy is exacerbated by the early spring/late winter weather. No snow to enjoy. Temps around freezing. Grey skies. My lake picture, it was 38 degrees. The seagull is a better indication the sky that day. Making due though. Supposed to reach the mid 50’s F the rest of this week so that’s exciting!
It's a garden mostly laid to grass with a huge tree and lots of hedges. There is one flower bed but I'm not good at growing flowers - and no veg but we have lots of thyme and rosemary which I use in cooking. I ended up today repainting the gate to our back garden - blue !

I hope your weather improves soon. It's freezing here first thing in the morning, but only because the night skies have been clear these past few days, then it's been reaching 14C (57 F) during the day.

Last edited:

Much love,
Jill

Congrats! As long as you get your announcements and any thank you’s our before your first anniversary in four years, you should be good. No rush!

26, probably at severe stenosis and at least moderate regurgitation, working on the frontline with patients again? Madness or is my age going to be enough to protect me? Just hoping I picked it up a couple of weeks ago.
Hows your sense of smell?

If fine then you may not yet have it

Hows your sense of smell?

If fine then you may not yet have it
Since of smell is fine, experienced a dry cough however, headache for a day and an unusual episode of conjunctivitis that disappeared after two days as quickly as it appeared. Hopefully there's an antibody test soon. But haven't felt unwell to be honest, but I usually continue with life when unwell.

+++ A horrendous sore throat for about 5 days too and two days of pleuritic chest pain. Honestly thrilled if that was it.

Pros and cons. Will speak to my cardiologist anyway, don't want to be reckless.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! What is the "glue" of marriage to you? I imagine it's different for everyone. We've been together 10 years now, but 25 whole days of marriage! 😂 I feel our relationship is strong because of our trust in each other, and our not taking each other or ourselves too seriously...we like to laugh.

Well since Kenny Rogers passed on, I'd say the glue of marriage is to:

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done
Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep
'Cause every hand's a winner
And every hand's a loser
And the best that you can hope for is to die
in your sleep

You need to know what's important and that there is no scorecard in a relationship. Over time being with your lover can be as easy as pie and as joyful as Christmas, other times...maybe not so much. That's why for me marriage is better. For example, "knowin' what to throw away" means changing some things you love (e.g. clubbing with the girls) but "knowin what to keep" means taking at least one night every week or so to get out with friends w/o the spouse. But being married means "every hand's a winner" (e.g. no matter what you've got someone to help) even if "every hand's a loser" (e.g. your lost independence.)

I probably should caveat that with saying my wife and I are strong willed and out spoken. We have a friend who jokingly refers to us as the Tom and Sally Show.

Just a short while ago at 8pm here in the UK loads of people on their doorsteps clapping in 'Clap for our Carers' - clapping doctors, nurses paramedics, ambulance staff, etc working hard in the Covid-19 outbreak. It was great to hear so many people in our street clapping ! A way of keeping in touch with each other too as we waved to each other !

I’m finding it interesting that with our, “Shelter in place” order, that people are a lot friendlier. Our guidelines do allow outdoor exercise and with temps in the 50’s my wife and I have walked and run the last two days. A lot more friendly, “Hello” greetings as we pass people. Not even neighbors that we know as we cover three miles or more.

Myself I'm following the John Hopkins dashboard daily

USA! USA! USA! We’re #1!!!

What do we win?

I understand that certain Asian nations with large populations might be guilty of underreporting. I won’t mention any names.

Overall, regardless of results, I speculate that the data could be of dubious quality. The mortality rate in Italy vs Germany, for example, being impacted by who they are using the tests on and what constitutes death from Coronavirus. For example, if a person dies of a heart attack and has a positive test result, did they die because of the virus? If they had a positive test result, were asymptomatic, and had an unrelated bad ticker? Only using tests on those with severe symptoms vs on everyone who asks to be tested would impact mortality rates as well. A nations supply of testing kits would impact who they’re using tests on.

All kinds of variables. But hey! A win is a win! Amiright!?!

Myself I'm following the John Hopkins dashboard daily

Does not surprise me, we all knew the USA was going to fumble this. Too many state politics and a main leader that just wants to deny the seriousness of this and talk about how "great" everything he has done is and how this will just disappear one day. And worse here int he South, our Governor was on TV earlier in week talking about all the great things he did as well, except he has not locked down the state to save the economy. Going to be an interesting economy when millions are sick and everyone else is afraid of them.

I applaud all this people that are going to work to keep the supplies flowing, groceries coming and of course our front line medial folks.

Interesting increases here in under 60 cases, becasue those of us older or at risk sheltered down a while back while everyone else felt "not me'. I don't want to be mean, but sometimes Darwinism is a good thing.

Latest posts

Back