COVID-19 - How are you spending your time?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman

Thought I’d start a “lighter side of the COVID-19 global pandemic” thread. I imagine I’m a bit unique in that work is busier than ever for me. Nature of my industry. We have a lot to do to help our customers right now. I’m also busy migrating my teaching to real time virtual and adapting materials accordingly.

However, all the kids extracurricular activities, concerts, etc are canceled.

I’ve been working on photography and teaching my daughter as well. She’s learning on our old DLSR.

Took a few around the house. Also, went to the lake to practice some filter shots for a trip that may or may not happen this summer.

066F7104-7E93-42AF-A672-3F13F987DFC9.jpeg

Staying inside as much as possible. Only going outside for groceries + meds (order online and pickup without going in store), to and from work.

I work for a University Flight School as an Aircraft Mechanic (cant work from home) so as our University has gone to online classes only until end of semester, no flight training can be done for the students. Have minimal staff at the department now. We have 2 planes we are working on right now (about 2 weeks worth of work), but don't know what will happen after that.

Been a bunch of catching up on tv shows, watching netflix/amazon prime video and video games here.

Nice pictures. Looks like you know the Golden Ratio or Golden Mean.

Lighter side of the pandemeic?

Well at my liquor/grocery/hardware store, Jameson Irish Whiskey and Harp Irish beer were both on sale since St. Patrick's day parades were cancelled.

I still am allowed to go to work, but the wife is at home, she's a pre-school teacher and pre-school cancelled indefinitely. We have a very cluttered house with a daughter's wedding coming in October so she's taken this as a gift from God to clean and declutter. Got her a new IPad for her birthday this weekend. Apple store was closed, but it's coming by mail. That should keep her going.

I'm the dog walker, but she's been walking the dog. Plus I wrenched my knee, so I am not walking as much. Dog is very happy but a little confused :)

Our daughter won't come visit since she's a Division of Children's Services worker and kids still need foster care and foster parents still need to be monitored. So she's a high contact person. Her Court is cut back to only needed hearings and only essential personnel.

Spring has sprung and is oblivious to any virus, so that's a good reminder.

I want to learn to draw, but I stay busy doing other things. Getting the yard and garden cleaned up, planting the garden, cutting grass (a 10 hour job), plus some projects I need to get done are keeping me busy.

I'm working but only 4-6 hours at work and then some hours at home. I work in an electronics lab and need to use equipment so need to go in for some work. Also walking/running outside as much as possible. Limiting trips out of the house to mostly grocery shopping and exercise. On Sunday our group did our walks/runs and then had a tailgate party with social distancing. Our county has less than 100 known cases with around 3 million residents. Hope the risk stays low.

Here in Tokyo no state of emergency yet, but schools are closed until April. Olympics on hold for 1 year. My teaching job at Temple is "distance" through end of term and with level 4 call last week most American students fly back this week. Weather is good, social distancing and eating/sleeping well. Hoping to make Canada flight early May. Keep well. Regards, Caleb

I have 12 guitars in the basement, so they're getting a bit of a workout, though less than I thought I would be doing up to this point. Made it out to my hangar yesterday; I don't share it with anyone anymore, so it, and my airplane, are my private safe space. More worried about the darn deer mice and Hantavirus than Covid-19 out there! I even have gloves and a couple of N95 masks out there that I use when I'm sweeping or emptying mouse traps. At any rate, got the plane out and logged 1.5 hrs yesterday, with a nasty crosswind to cope with on the landing. Hopefully I can continue to do that. We have a big, wide open walking park half a block from our house, so we are getting out on the paths with the dog every day. Easy to maintain distance from others out there. Wrapped one series on Netflix already (Tiger King). On to the next!

I'm staying indoors at home, most of the time. I do take a daily walk outside for about 30-45 minutes. There is a nice bike/walking path across from my house and I've been walking on it about 2 miles each way. It's nice because our usually very busy street has been a lot less busier!

My husband is a clinical respiratory therapist so he intubates patients and monitors ventilators in ICU all day. He started in the field 45 years ago so feels that he’s reached the pinnacle of his work in pulmonary medicine with the coronavirus outbreak. I’m not nearly as thrilled. We finished Better Call Saul last night so I’m on the hunt for something we can watch for a few hours when he’s home. Visits with the kids and grandkids are limited to Portal tv for their well being since he’s working with Covid-19 cases. One positive: we are living in the present, no talk of plans for tomorrow, next week, or next month. Taking it one day at a time.

We finished Better Call Saul last night so I’m on the hunt for something we can watch for a few hours when he’s home.

I have heard that they are working on a prequel to Breaking Bad. It is called Breaking Wind .... 🤣

But seriously, hats off to your husband and all the medical staff having to deal with this. They have quite a task.

I'm learning to play the guitar. I'm not very good but I dont really care! It's still fun. Our beaches have been closed so no morning walks along the beach for a while.
Can point you in the direction of some good online starter resources if you need them. Good luck!

I've also been learning guitar, whole new style of it though with classical, getting to grips with reading music bit by bit.

Have also done the biggest spring clean of my life and worked on the garden.

My annual leave runs out next Monday however, and I'm debating whether or not to return to work.

26, probably at severe stenosis and at least moderate regurgitation, working on the frontline with patients again? Madness or is my age going to be enough to protect me? Just hoping I picked it up a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!! :)

Welcome to this crazy world, daVinci! Feel free to snoop around my profile and my old posts as it looks like you are going through a very similar situation I went through as well. It's certainly not a fun thing to go through in your mid-20's but you've found a perfect place to serve as your sounding board - I love these forums! I've lived most of the past 10.5 years with my tissue valve completely normally. I was (until recently) very active, running several half marathons a year, snowboarding, hiking, you name it. I was back at work 1 month post-op the first time.

My decision to go with tissue was 100% because I wanted the possibility of children. I had my beautiful daughter 4 years after my OHS and everything went completely fine (they considered me "high risk" so I even got more sonograms covered than normal. ;) ) With surgery #2 staring me in the face, I just have to look at my thriving 6 year old to understand I made the right choice all those years ago.

I'm mostly struggling right now with the realization that I'm really sick. I've been experiencing shortness of breath with activity for months, and now shortness of breath at rest for the past several weeks. My stubborn self did not want to admit how sick I was, though. I feel trapped in a body I don't recognize and I can't wait to start the road to recovery. Onward!
My husband is a clinical respiratory therapist so he intubates patients and monitors ventilators in ICU all day. He started in the field 45 years ago so feels that he’s reached the pinnacle of his work in pulmonary medicine with the coronavirus outbreak. I'm not nearly as thrilled. One positive: we are living in the present, no talk of plans for tomorrow, next week, or next month. Taking it one day at a time.

I understand him being thrilled, now is such an interesting time for those in such places. Best of luck and many thanks to him.

Here's to living in the present.

Latest posts

Back