countdown to cleveland

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I took it too for years then was told I didn’t need to. In last couple years, cardio said I should take it again. Surgeon at Cleveland Clinic felt pretty strongly about taking it with BAV and taking it after surgery as well.

Thanks caro!

Time is flying by and my departure date is next Tuesday

I've been so busy between work and moving I haven't had much time to think about surgery - btw I absolutely don't recommend doing the moving part right before surgery!

Got my dental clearance signed off and faxed to CC about 2 weeks ago

Received some paperwork from insurance basically saying everything CC has submitted has been approved; one of the documents listed my inpatient dates of 9/9 (surgery) to 9/13 and thought hmm that seems short

From the time my surgery was initially scheduled, they have changed their visitor policy to allow 2 people now

My testing and consults occurred on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. My surgery was performed early on a Thursday AM, went from ICU to step down unit on Friday afternoon and released from Hospital on Monday afternoon for a few days aback at the hotel with a couple of follow up tests and an "exit interview" (read release to travel) on Wednesday AM. I was released to travel one day sooner than the original schedule.

My overall experience was very good. I believe that their reputation is well earned.

Best wishes for a successful surgery with no issues and a complete recovery.

YMMV

That dental clearance form was a real worry for me due to limited scheduling for a cleaning -- of course I got it done - and then Cleveland Clinic never asked to see the form or anything about it. :) Peej, best of luck, try your best to stay calm and positive. You are going to do great there and then get ready for a rocket ride of a recovery! I am only 2-1/2 months out and am beginning to tear it up in the treadmill and the trails. This new valve thing is fun! Keep us posted!

OK, Peej, it's showtime. Your head is in the right place. Keep your sense of humor. Hit the red button to keep ahead of the pain. Be a squeaky wheel if you need to be. Follow the walking/breathing protocol. Repeat.

The first few days will be, well, probably not as bad as you are expecting but not the most fun in your life. Weeks and months later they will become a haze because you kept hitting the red button. Prepare to be amazed at how your body heals. There is no getting around: The uncoated potassium pills suck. The daily pin pricks to check your blood sugar become nonevents.

FWIW, I slept very poorly. TV at 2 am. sucks. But every time I hear the Ozempic commercials - annoyingly catchy rip off of a 70s song I never liked - I have fond memories of early mornings, sitting alone in my recliner, like a zombie, in Cleveland.

PS:

In the step-down unit, Day One I was assigned to a nurse I really didn't like. Zero personality/downer from the high-energy fantastic nurses in the ICU. I mentioned it to my surgeon's PA. Presto, I wound up fantastic nurses from that point on. Oh, and like a lot of folks, it wasn't my chest that hurt; instead, it was my back. My surgeon's holistic nurse performed reiki on me. I was dubious, the pain mostly disappeared. I just went with it.

Keep us posted.

Time is flying by and my departure date is next Tuesday

I've been so busy between work and moving I haven't had much time to think about surgery - btw I absolutely don't recommend doing the moving part right before surgery!

Got my dental clearance signed off and faxed to CC about 2 weeks ago

Received some paperwork from insurance basically saying everything CC has submitted has been approved; one of the documents listed my inpatient dates of 9/9 (surgery) to 9/13 and thought hmm that seems short

From the time my surgery was initially scheduled, they have changed their visitor policy to allow 2 people now

Best of luck Peej! Please keep us posted on how things go.

To this thread late. Good luck on your OHS. It’s been 5 months for me and I am so much better. Didn’t realize how valve disease keeps you from being the best you can be. Ran 2.3 miles yesterday in 96 degree heat with 60% humidity and it felt great! I feel 20 years younger. I have never been an athlete. Looking forward to hearing of your recovery.

OK, Peej, it's showtime. Your head is in the right place. Keep your sense of humor. Hit the red button to keep ahead of the pain. Be a squeaky wheel if you need to be. Follow the walking/breathing protocol. Repeat.

The first few days will be, well, probably not as bad as you are expecting but not the most fun in your life. Weeks and months later they will become a haze because you kept hitting the red button. Prepare to be amazed at how your body heals. There is no getting around: The uncoated potassium pills suck. The daily pin pricks to check your blood sugar become nonevents.

FWIW, I slept very poorly. TV at 2 am. sucks. But every time I hear the Ozempic commercials - annoyingly catchy rip off of a 70s song I never liked - I have fond memories of early mornings, sitting alone in my recliner, like a zombie, in Cleveland.

PS:

In the step-down unit, Day One I was assigned to a nurse I really didn't like. Zero personality/downer from the high-energy fantastic nurses in the ICU. I mentioned it to my surgeon's PA. Presto, I wound up fantastic nurses from that point on. Oh, and like a lot of folks, it wasn't my chest that hurt; instead, it was my back. My surgeon's holistic nurse performed reiki on me. I was dubious, the pain mostly disappeared. I just went with it.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for sharing the details and positive outlook Herb!

That dental clearance form was a real worry for me due to limited scheduling for a cleaning -- of course I got it done - and then Cleveland Clinic never asked to see the form or anything about it. :) Peej, best of luck, try your best to stay calm and positive. You are going to do great there and then get ready for a rocket ride of a recovery! I am only 2-1/2 months out and am beginning to tear it up in the treadmill and the trails. This new valve thing is fun! Keep us posted!

Can't wait to be at that point
NM has some great hikes so not a bad place to be recovering

I’ll keep this one short but my surgery was rescheduled one day earlier. I’m in step down. Not doing too bad. Herb’s description and staying ahead of the initial pain pretty spot on.

Great to hear from you on the other side Peej! Please keep us posted on your recovery!

Thanks all
A bit more about the experience so far for me….
I got out of the ICU Thursday afternoon
The breathing tube was not a good experience; I was waking up and felt it triggering my gag reflex
The nurses kept telling me to be calm
I vomited with the tube in (and again after)
At one point I dropped my fentanyl drip control + remote to page the nurse and couldn’t seem to find it; nurses Thursday morning seemed surprised I didn’t use it much…I tried the old fashioned raising my hand as people passed or stopped at the computer outside the sheet but didn’t work
I did get the dacron + On-x
I was pretty drugged up but recall a brief visit from Dr Pettersson and hearing him say my valve was pretty calcified
Each day in step down is better
Think I did 3 walks Friday, 5 Saturday and 6 today; getting a little winded but not too bad
I was able to get myself up from the bed today
I’m real close to only taking Tylenol
Aside from the Heparin drip, chest wires were the last thing in me and removed yesterday
They noticed a small air pocket in my lung and have taken 3 X-rays of it; hasn’t changed much
The resident said they could probably release me Monday but my INR is still too low (1.1 last test) and they want to at least see a 1.7
Sleep has been hit and miss but probably very normal
Some consistent pain in my neck; not sure if it has to do anything with a position during surgery or IV
I’ve been very pleased with the level of care from CC; walking the halls you can feel all of the employees pulling for you

Thanks all
A bit more about the experience so far for me….
I got out of the ICU Thursday afternoon
The breathing tube was not a good experience; I was waking up and felt it triggering my gag reflex
The nurses kept telling me to be calm
I vomited with the tube in (and again after)
Thanks very much for the welcome update Peej, sounds like it generally went very well for you!
I too am not looking forward to the breathing tube aspect. I’ve let my care team know as part of a pre-op questionnaire, and I’ll ask if it’s safely possible to have it removed before I come to, as I’ve seen suggested by others.
Hope you’ll be keeping us updated - from home - very soon!

Great to hear fellow On-X'er and soon-to-be CC alum! Breathing tube reaction must have been brutal knowing the condition you were in as you were waking up, sorry. My INR also took a bit to rally, am guessing you'll be released tomorrow. It's going to be a bit of grind initially, hang in there and get ready to walk the elevated walkways and outside sidewalk loops. Oh - and only so many hospital food meals left for you. I really enjoyed having food with taste again when I got out - my favorites being the Starbucks egg-white sandwiches and nice late lunches at the Crile Food Emporium. Keep us posted and continued best wishes!

Great to hear fellow On-X'er and soon-to-be CC alum! Breathing tube reaction must have been brutal knowing the condition you were in as you were waking up, sorry. My INR also took a bit to rally, am guessing you'll be released tomorrow. It's going to be a bit of grind initially, hang in there and get ready to walk the elevated walkways and outside sidewalk loops. Oh - and only so many hospital food meals left for you. I really enjoyed having food with taste again when I got out - my favorites being the Starbucks egg-white sandwiches and nice late lunches at the Crile Food Emporium. Keep us posted and continued best wishes!

Hey Bill, thanks!
I got released late yesterday with a follow up Wednesday before I leave town
INR took a decent jump so they felt ok to release me
I'm supplementing some shots + the pill until I get tested back home Friday

Peej:

Here's my prediction: Much of those first few days will become a blur. What I went thru with bowel issues post-surgery; lack of sleep; pain in my back...all of that dissipated as a memory. It's the kind of stuff we live through and do in the moment, but I think the drugs help us remember less. Seems like you did extremely well. BTW, how'd you like those potassium pills? I forgot to mention those to you. They were my absolute least favorite. No coating. Dreadful, but again - a distant memory to laugh about. Welcome to the Dacron club. It only gets better. I'm now triple-jabbed and flying to France today from LAX. Cheers. Herb

Latest posts

Back