Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Patricia Choate

I have never posted to this forum before. I had my mitral valve replaced in September 1999. My Coumadin dosage was regulated and I stayed at an INR range of 2.1-3.0 until April 23 of this year, when my INR came back at 5.6. I was taken off Coumadin for five days but that caused the INR to go to 1.0. Since then I have had to be retested every ten days and have had my dosage changed after each test. Yesterday the INR came back at 1.0 and yes, the Coumadin dosage was adjusted. I do not understand why......my diet has always been fairly consistent, no new medications......including vitamins or over the counter drugs have been added and my activity level has not changed. My Doctor simply says...."this is normal when you are on Coumadin", but is it? I knew that I would need to have my blood tested after receiving an artificial valve, but every ten days!!!! My poor little arms are always bruised and my mood is getting worse after every test. Hopefully, since you all are in the same boat, you will have some advice, hints, or at the least, I will have someone I can complain to every ten days who understands and give my poor husband a break. Thanks for listening, Patricia

Hi Patricia,

When mine was trying to get stablized, they kept adjusting my dosage but finally.. they wanted me to stay with the same dosage because they realized that changing it all the time was in itself causing my INR to bounce around. Since then I have leveled off, and only on occation do I go out of range.

Have you changed brands of cereal, diet drinks? or any other food that, although basically the same, it may have a higher level of Vit K. You mentioned that your activity level has been constant, so that may not be it. Your metabolizm will cause changes in your INR. The higher your metabolizm, the faster it processes the Coumadin, thus the lower your level will go.

Warmer Weather also effects your INR. Are you on Coumadin, or a generic brand? Many people have had problems staying regulated with the generic brand.

Hope you find a balance soon. bye the way, if you have to get stuck every 10 days, you are sure going to buildup scar tissue around your veins in your arms. Have you looked into a home testing unit. I got one several months ago. I purchased the ProTime unit. It is a simple finger stick, sure saves on my arm being stuck every 2 weeks.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

RobThatsMe

Last edited:
Small changes in thyroid activity can change INR- - it did with me. I have no thyroid but have to rely on exogenous thyroid replacement, as many do. I have no thyroid to keep the internal thyroid levels constant. Others have thyroid glands with fluctuating response. When my INR doc (erroneously, placing me in a grossly hypothermic state) reduced my thyroid replacement my INR changed. Now with increasing exogenous thyroid replacement it's changing again.

There are so many physiological variables I don't even think about.

I hope this is just a phase for you.

I have been on Coumadin for 12 years. My dosage hs been very level during that period. The few times when my readings got out of range, the doctor instructed me to adjust the dosage for one day only and get retested in a week. That worked for me.
Herb

Patricia,

I certainly sympathize with you on your fluctuating INR results! I think some people may be more sensitive to coumadin than others. I only take 18 to 20 mgs a week, other people take much more than that. Just changing my dosage by a half mg. a week makes a big difference.

You were taken off for five days? Wow... that seems a little extreme. I like the adjust one day and then go on with your normal dosage. That?s what I?ve been doing lately and it?s working better than trying to adjust the whole week.

EVERYTHING affects my INR.... how much I?m in the sun, if I miss my exercise class, if I skip a meal, if I?m stressed, are the kids smiling, etc. Only speaking for myself, but I know for a fact, with my body it goes WAY beyond how much vitamin K I eat!

I had my mitral valve replaced 4-6-00.

Good Luck!! :) Luck probably even has a little to do with it! lol

Rain - in Colorado

Back