coumadin replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharon

I was just at the Mended Hearts national conference this week and one of our speakers was a man from GlaxoSmithKline who said that they are now doing trials for a coumadin replacement drug. I went on their website but am not too computer savvy and so couldn't find anything on it. It is supposed to be out by 2010ish. Anyone know anything about it?

Sharon Feldman
St Judes avr 4/97

coumadin replacement

Thanks Ross for the link. I guess that it is the gsk drug - it didn't say. I'm disappointed that it wasn't for vr patients too.

Sharon Feldman
St Judes avr 4/97

It's going to be a very long time until we see something for us. The trials on some others didn't pan out and were canceled. Coumadin is cheap, easily managed by experienced persons, so I really don't see why there is a push to change it outside of Lack of understanding of the drug by the majority of medical profession. If they'd spend some quality time and teach new Doctors while in training, a whole lot of whats going on now would be history.

coumadin replacement

Yes, you're right Ross but it still sounded good. I have a home tester and sometimes I'm still not getting the blood in the center of the cup even after all these years. I would like to take the med and not have to worry about ANY side effects.
Sharon Feldman
St Judes avr 4/97

coumadin REPLACEMNT

coumadin REPLACEMNT

I Don't Know Either But My Dr. Told Me The Same Thing Last Week When He Dropped My Bomb About Having To Get A New A/v This Thurs. Morn!

I Did Not Know Enough To Ask Who, What, When, Where, Etc. But You Can Be Sure I Will When I Wake Up Sometime This Fri.!

I'm Going With An On-x Just Because They Are In A Study To Reduce Or Eliminate It To Just Maybe Aspirin.

Mike

Surg. 9/6/07 ----- Yikes!

fencemeister said:
I Don't Know Either But My Dr. Told Me The Same Thing Last Week When He Dropped My Bomb About Having To Get A New A/v This Thurs. Morn!

I Did Not Know Enough To Ask Who, What, When, Where, Etc. But You Can Be Sure I Will When I Wake Up Sometime This Fri.!

I'm Going With An On-x Just Because They Are In A Study To Reduce Or Eliminate It To Just Maybe Aspirin.

Mike

Surg. 9/6/07 ----- Yikes!
Mike until it happens and regardless of some misguided postings around here, Coumadin is not a monster that some make it out to be. Granted, if someone managing you doens't know what their doing, it's tough and admittedly there are many that don't. We have done so much in this forum to educate people with todays knowledge so that no one fears the Evil Coumadin of the old days. 90% of what you hear is total BS. When you have questions, which you will, please do not hesitate to come in here or email Al Lodwick for some answers.

I'm not too excited about On-X getting approval for aspirin only. When On-X was developed, it was thought that the clotting problem resulted from blood sticking to the valve. We now know that a much more important factor in clotting is the turbulence thrown off by rigid valves. Aspirin has not been found to be very good at preventing clots caused by turbulence.

allodwick said:
I'm not too excited about On-X getting approval for aspirin only. When On-X was developed, it was thought that the clotting problem resulted from blood sticking to the valve. We now know that a much more important factor in clotting is the turbulence thrown off by rigid valves. Aspirin has not been found to be very good at preventing clots caused by turbulence.

Turbulence produces eddy currents which can allow clots to form.

ALL(?) of the older mechanical valves limited their opening to 60 or 70 degrees, thus creating turbulence. The limited opening made it easy for the valve to CLOSE at the end of the cycle.

The relatively new (1996) On-X Valves found a way to ensure closure with 90 Degree openings, greatly reducing turbulence. The South African Study with a largely non-compliant population showed greatly reduced incidence of Stroke compared with older valve designs.

To my mind, reduced turbulence and lower potential for clot formation is the REAL advantage of the On-X Valve and why I have made that my First Choice for my pending Mitral Valve Replacement.

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks Al. I had not heard that about the reduced turbulence with On-X. That may well change the picture.

Back