Coumadin and Horses

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dianne

Like Sparrow's question, I am interested in finding out about Coumadin and how it affects people's activity level.

Specifically, I'd like to know if anyone has experience with or explored the issue of riding and working with horses while using Coumadin. And did it affect anyone's choice of valve?

One cardiologist I spoke to felt it wasn't a big deal and said if you get kicked, you just need to go have the injury checked out. However, over the years of riding, I have been kicked, bitten, stepped on, rolled on, and fell on by horses. Most of the time, riding a horse is a safe activity. But there is that element of unpredictability; you just never know. To me, I would think Coumadin and horses might not mix. But, that doctor wasn't concerned. I haven't found anything that addresses this topic, however. Just that one should avoid high impact sports.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic? Besides giving up such an activity! :D

Dianne

Hi Diane

I was advised not to engage in any activity that could have the potential to cause major trauma. What may be a minor incident to someone not taking Coumadin, could be a matter of life to a patient on this drug. You have a high risk of internal bleeding if injured seriously. Especially if you hit your head. I am not trying to alarm you.... but I know of a few cases that have been fatal.

Personally, I tend to bruise more in the summer when my activity level is up. Was recently hit from distance with some after effects of a firework on the 4th and have a small hematomoa on my leg. Did not feel like anything more than a flick of the finger. I was far enough away too.

Always remember you can control your actions, but not those of others. I have given up all activities that could cause a major injury.

Just my opinion. :D

Best wishes,

Thanks for your input, Gina. I really appreciate all of your thoughts on this issue. And how true about controlling your own actions but not the actions of others. I just think Coumadin + horses= problems!

I told my surgeon that I would like to go with a homograft if at all possible.
Dianne

I thought I would still snow ski after my mechanical avr, but I have changed my mind after seeing how easily I bruise and the size of the knot that remains after hurting myself.
I recently hit my calf with a rental car door and it looked like a goose egg and the bruise was 3 inches in diameter,really ugly. The remains of the bruise are still visable 4 weeks later.
I am seeing many small bruises ,especially on my legs and I don't really remember banging into anything.
Then my friend who is an RN said we bruise more
easily as we age also.
If I had been able to have another choice and not
have to take coumadin I would have taken that choice. But for me, mechanical was the only choice left.( 2nd avr surgery, hopefully last one!)
Gail

black and blue

black and blue

I cannot believe horses and coumadin would mix. Blunt trauma can be as bad as anything, with anticoagulation therapy. Not to mention a broken bone, which is a major consideration!!!!

Yes, ticktock, I felt the same way. I currently don't have horses, but I ride whenever I get a chance and hope to have them in my future. So I did go with the homograft.

And Gail in CA, I'm hearing more people talk about these mysterious bruises that they have no recollection of getting. Or the little bumps that they felt were very minor at the time, but ended up looking and feeling like what you described after your rental car door incident.

I realize I will have to have a second surgery and anticipate going with the mechanical at that time. The old we'll cross that bridge when we come to it adage, comes to mind here.

Dianne

Back