Coumadin and extreme female hair loss?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Nesea2

My mother had major CABG surgery and aortic valve replacement in January. Prior to that surgery (this was her second, the first CABG was 15 yrs prior) she had a full head of hair.
Since the surgery and the new medications, one of which was coumadin, the others being lopressor, altace and norvasc, she has been losing HUGE amounts of hair.
Anyone else? Anyone know what this means? Thanks. Kim:)
[email protected]

Loss of hair could be one of the "posable" side effects while taking Coumadin and other medications for that matter. Check the product insert. I did have some hairloss post op and my surgeon attributed it to the stress of the surgery.

Hi Nesea2,

I also experienced some hairloss after my AVR's but it did not continue. My hair is maybe a bit thinner but I still have plenty left.

AVR 8/7/00 & 8/18/00. St Jude's Mechanical. Coumadin 20mg a day. Second AVR 8/18/00 due to bloodclot underneath the valve.
Doing okay 10 months post-op.

Christina.:D

Last edited:
Hair issues are major side effects of many of the prescriptions. Not to worry, it will eventually stabilize, but not ever return to normal.

29+ years of coumadin and still ticking

Nesea

I have been on coumadin for nearly two years. I had major
hair loss after my surgery. Also continual loss long after.
My hairdresser noticed the loss and asked what type of medication I was on. She recommended a shampoo & condtioner
that works well for me. It is called Nioxin. Not sold in stores. Maybe the next time you are at the hairdresser, ask her for some advise.

Hope this helps you some.

:) Take care!
Judy

I had extreme hair loss at the onset of taking coumadin. My doctors told me coumadin would not cause hair breakage or loss. I still experence some thinning hair . Things seen to have stabilized and I have bought several products which combat hair breakage and thinning. I'm glad I've found others who suffer with this same condition.

I have run an anticoagulation clinic for four years. I have seen several cases of hair loss. The most unusual one was a lady who was in her 70s. She had straight hair all of her life and it was quite gray. After she started Coumadin, her hair fell out and stopped growing for about six months. The suddenly it started growing back blonde and curly.

She wonders why she was not a curly-haired blonde 50 years ago!!!

I'm an old forum user and have just returned after a one year absence. Hi to all my old friends! Anyway, I'm in my thirties and have experienced some degree of hair loss since my surgery four years ago. Nothing drastic yet, but as a woman who used to have a very full head of hair, I've noticed my ponytail getting skinnier. I haven't taken any steps such as Nioxin yet, but will keep checking these posts for suggestions.

Back