Coumadin and broken bones

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jeanne

My 14 year old son Matt, broke both bones in his forearm and fractured his wrist several weeks ago while skateboarding. As of Friday, he has not started to heal at all. I did talk to the makers, DuPont and they said half of the researchers found a problem with this and half of them did not. He will now be included in research with them. Have any of you broke bones while on coumadin and did you have any problems with the healing process??

Thanks,
Jeanne

Please join us again next year in remembering all those affected by CHD on 2/14/2002: "A Day for Hearts: Congenital Heart Defects Awareness Day!"

Sorry to hear about your son. Don't have an answer to your questions. But very curious to find an answer.

It is my understand that when we are depriving our bodies of high amounts of Vitamin K due to the Coumadin.....we are also losing valuable nutrients needed for proper bone health. This has not been fully recognized by the medical community..but looks like they are starting to take note. Had an article in one of my journals but can't locate it.

Thanks Gina,
If you ever locate the article, please send it. I have been researching for several days and have not found anything. Besides working with the DuPont researcers, I am waiting to hear back from NIH also. It makes sense that the not having the Vitamin K would affect the bones.

Jeanne

Please join us again next year in remembering all those affected by CHD on 2/14/2002: "A Day for Hearts: Congenital Heart Defects Awareness Day!"

Latest posts

Back