Could this cause endocarditis??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrick

We are trialing a new parts washer at work that has microbes know as Ozzys, from what I can find there are a number of various bugs that can cause endo,
I'm thinking if the bugs in the parts wash can survive living on grease and oil then they could survive in your blood stream if they entered thru a cut?

From the website-
"Ozzy is the name we selected for the blend of nonpathogenic (harmless to humans) microbes in the EcoSafe Washer system. Our microbes, Ozzy and his friends, eat potentially harmful hydrocarbon wastes in the EcoSafe Washer and transform these wastes into very small quantities of carbon dioxide and water. Similar types of microbes have been used for many years in various bioremediation applications, such as oil spills, including the clean up after the Exxon Valdez oil spill in March of 1989."

https://www.rozone.co.uk/smartwasher/
http://www.chemfree.com/
http://www.alsco.co.nz/ecosafe-washer/how-it-works

A local rep reckoned that he knows of a couple of workshops that have had them and gotten rid of them due to people getting ill and dermatitis , even though it states that it's safe and does not cause dermatitis

thoughts?
Z

I'd tend towards agreeing with the Rep that the greater possibility of infected cuts and dermatitis would be the issue, rather than endo (myself). My understanding is that to get endo you need to have a large bacterial transfer to occur. So a low blood flow close to the heart (minimizing the possibility of exposure to those white blood cells which seek and kill bacteria floating in the blood). So gums and mucosa (like throat and nasal passage infections) would be the best bet, you could try injecting some of the stuff if you wanted to get Endo ... that could get you compo?

:)

I'd suggest you pick a Dr who doesn't play Solitaire while consulting with you though '-)

pellicle;n875125 said:
I'd tend towards agreeing with the Rep that the greater possibility of infected cuts and dermatitis would be the issue, rather than endo (myself). My understanding is that to get endo you need to have a large bacterial transfer to occur. So a low blood flow close to the heart (minimizing the possibility of exposure to those white blood cells which seek and kill bacteria floating in the blood). So gums and mucosa (like throat and nasal passage infections) would be the best bet, you could try injecting some of the stuff if you wanted to get Endo ... that could get you compo?

:)

I'd suggest you pick a Dr who doesn't play Solitaire while consulting with you though '-)

Thought about gargling it... but compos pretty skinny in my neck of the woods...

so does all endo stem from throat/nasal infections or are there cases of entering thru cuts? maybe it would have to be green and starting to fall off?

Warrick;n875126 said:
so does all endo stem from throat/nasal infections or are there cases of entering thru cuts? maybe it would have to be green and starting to fall off?

I'm conjecturing here, but as I mentioned above I reckon its the factors I outlined. I was yakkin to a well educated pharmacy mate of mine just before and he was of the view that via the dental path is the most common ... but not the only.

But yeah, I reckon its gotta be an infected cut not just a cut.

Wasn't there a post somewhere on the forum from someone who got endo from the bacteria that causes acne? Bonbet

Bonbet;n875152 said:
Wasn't there a post somewhere on the forum from someone who got endo from the bacteria that causes acne? Bonbet

that could have also been me ... (having the infection) ... as far as I know that bacteria (propionibacteria acnes) is most commonly given to you as endo during valve surgery itself. Its just that it takes up to a year to present.

As it happens an older memeber here (Aetos) is undergoing a combination drug therapy for treating exactly that on his aortic graft ... I chat with him in skype most days of the week. He was admitted before I went to prague, got out while I was there, back in again.

Pellicle; got to wonder how that transmission occurred - during surgery for pete's sake. Did the hospital track it down to the carrier? Same with Aetos - someone had to be transmitting it- if not directly then onto the equipment. It scares me as I have multiple antibiotic sensitivity. Bonbet

Hi

Bonbet;n875156 said:
Pellicle; got to wonder how that transmission occurred - during surgery for pete's sake. Did the hospital track it down to the carrier? Same with Aetos - someone had to be transmitting it- if not directly then onto the equipment. It scares me as I have multiple antibiotic sensitivity. Bonbet

Of course we can't set up cameras and watch where a bacteria goes (they're too small and there is too much to watch), so this is assumption based on understanding the landscape. Works for trackers too. I thought I'd fish out a diagram from the web to assist my explanation:

a quick background on Propi here

If you look at where propi lives, its in the skin in the hair follicle around the sebaceous glands [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/img.webmd.com\/dtmcms\/live\/webmd\/consumer_assets\/site_images\/articles\/health_tools\/building_your_perfect_skincare_routine_slideshow\/agefoto_rm_illustration_of_acne_clogged_pore.jpg"}[/IMG2]

so no matter what the surface preparation there is a possibility that a hair follicle will be sliced through in the surgery and then possily a sample of Propi fall into the wound. I'd say that since the amount of bacteria is puny and propi is not a particularly active bacteria that the body kills it (the phagocytes attack them like amobea) and its only in the case where one falls in a situation where its safe that they survive.

Propi is not common in surgery (even where its most common its prosthetic surgery , usually hip or spine prostheses where its still not common) and its only in the last few years we've actually isolated it and know and understand it (and how to treat it).

Oh that is interesting thanks. My understanding has always been antibiotics for any procedure considered 'dirty' dental especially scale and clean as it causes trauma to the gums extractions the most common bacteria streptococcus Vericans often isolated from the mouth. The second stage of birth is another time antibiotic cover is recommended.

Oh that is interesting thanks. My understanding has always been antibiotics for any procedure considered 'dirty' dental especially scale and clean as it causes trauma to the gums extractions the most common bacteria streptococcus Vericans often isolated from the mouth. The second stage of birth is another time antibiotic cover is recommended.

Latest posts

Back