CouguChek troubleshooting

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracy Nikol

CouguChek Monitor turns off after the chip code has been read properly and button is pressed to start blood sample time...... any suggestions? Really cannot afford to purchase another meter at this time trying desperately to troubleshoot this situation.

After the chip code appears on the screen, the "M" button should be pushed for the test to begin. If you push the right button circle I it will turn the meter off. 1-800-428-4674 is the number of Roche Diagnostics Technical Service that you might call. I assume your meter is the XS model. If it's an earlier model I don't have any suggestions.

Last edited:
I agree - worth changing the batteries. Although I knew that I hadn't changed the batteries for a long time, possibly 2 years, the meter only showed as if the batteries were down 25% when they actually needed changing.

I agee with changing the batteries. When I recieved an error message I called and they advised me to change the batteries, even though I had recently changed them. They told me that fixes a lot of the problems. I changed the batteries and mine has been working fine since.

I'd have thought for sure there'd be a battery level icon ... My XS sure has one ... throws an error and won't allow a test. Pretty clear. Thus I was unwilling to suggest that when Tracy posed the question in the first place.

Also, are you using alkaline cells or rechargable cells? This is important because the unit is designed to use Alkaline cells and the discharge curve of NiMH is different to Alkaline ... cells can suddenly drop out when (according to the battery meter system in the device) they are within tolerance voltages.

Hard to answer (and be helpful) with so little information

Last edited:
Pellicle, you are absolutely correct about the battery level icon, but in my case it doesn't stay on for very long and can be easily missed.
With my unit, I have experience once I've turned it on and seeing 3 bars in the battery icon then go down to 2, should still be good right? Nope. The monitor asked for the strip and when it was ready I applied my sample then POOF the monitor shut off. I now keep spare batteries with the unit since you have a minute or so to change them without losing the memory.

Hi there
Freddie;n882062 said:
... but in my case it doesn't stay on for very long and can be easily missed.
With my unit, I have experience once I've turned it on and seeing 3 bars in the battery icon then go down to 2, should still be good right? Nope.

good points and thanks for the additional information, very interesting ... may I ask what battery type you were using?
  1. alkaline (energizer or duracel or something generic)
  2. carbon (like ever-ready black or red)
  3. don't know
myself I use good quality alkalines (usually duracel or energizer) and I get a good year or more of weekly testing out of them.

I also don't like leaving them in for a long time cos they can leak (especially cheapie alkalines) and ruin the meter

however what you describe could totally fit the symptoms described by Tracy

Last edited:
Freddie;n882105 said:
Energizer batteries is what is in the monitor now.

good batteries ... in my experience usually very stable chemistry and not prone to leaks. Having lost a few TV remotes from leaks I'd hate to lose my Coagucheck from that ...

Now that I say all this out loud I'm going to make a point of yearly battery changes no matter what.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back