Coughing Fits after OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps.
Tis the season for allergies, that may be causing the coughing...dunno but you always try taking an antihistamine to see if that helps.

I was taking Lisinopril after surgery, and it made me cough all the time. I told my cardio about it, and he said they call it the "Lisinopril Cough". Sure enough, once I came off of it, the coughing stopped.

I coughed up an absolute storm after my surgery. I passed the twelve week mark on Monday and have been free from pleural effusions for about a month now - yay - but still cough a little here and there.

Admittedly, I had a pretty kickass dry cough in the weeks leading up to my surgery so that was probably the culprit. It was interesting when I went back into theatre to drain the pericardial effusion and pleural effusion a week after my valve replacement that I coughed solidly for a few hours and then didn't cough again for a day or so. I feel as though my early progress was perhaps hampered a little by my persistent coughing!

George in Denver;n869169 said:
I had this same reaction (constant, shallow coughing) to metroprolol (a beta blocker). Cough ceased as soon as I came off the drug.

I call it "kennel cough." Since I'm just another old dog, anyway.

But seriously, it could be from meds or it could be from a bit of fluid remaining in your lungs. I had both immediately after surgery, and to this day still have a bit of a cough from the metoprolol.

5 weeks post AVR and don't seem to be progressing as fast as I think I should be. Have this persistent dry cough that brings up nothing. Multiple Xrays show a plural effusion of the left lung. Things seems to get better over time with the Xrays (now showing very little effusion) but the coughing is not subsiding. Can't take deep breaths and am always tired. Seeing the surgeon tomorrow but don't expect much. Docs have been adjusting meds to try to fix light headedness with some success but nothing has helped the constant cough. Anybody else been like this?

I have had a dry cough for longer than I can remember.....maybe all the way back to my surgery. I have been told it may be caused by one of my bp meds or it may be related to my allergies(Ohio river valley).....or ??. Other than an inconvenience sometimes there seems to be no health issue.

Latest posts

Back