Couamdin and "Seafood"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUVMyBirman

Noticed a post that mentioned seafood consumption can effect your INR. I eat shrimp and calamari with no concerns. Don't care for regular fish. Though I have read that Vit K is stored in the tisses of fresh fish.

My recent experience was with Scallops. My INR took a slight dive prior to consuming the scallops. They fall into the same category as shell fish, what's the difference? Was also traveling so that may have had an impact.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gina: confused:

Can not help on your question, BUT-
Had valve replacement 1990 and some suspected infection problems. While all that was being sorted out the infectious disease doctor that was called in said that I should avoid shrimp from that day on. They carry a bacteria that is close to cholera that can and sometimes does effect the tissue around the valve.

Subsequent talked with my Japan friends who are in shusi business and they have barred me from all shell fish and most raw fish to reduce chances for infections. Systemic infections are very serious for heart valve patients.

Thanks for the info Jim. Never looked at it from an infectious standpoint.

Do not eat raw seafood myself. Anything well cooked should be fine.

Back