Cost of Surgery and Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prices vary. I was sure curious to find out what mine would cost. Then came trying to decipher all the bills through a pumphead fog. I remember the valve itself being about 4000, the surgeon getting 2500/hour, and the works being under 100,000.

I just recently received my bill from the Mayo clinic...$119,000 was the grand total which included my cardiac cath the day before.

Kim

I think mine cost about $180,000 in 2006 but I spent 10 days in ICU and got a pacemaker a week after MVR and maze. I believe my room and board cost was about 60K, the rest was surgeries, drugs, parts, etc. My recent defib. installation (12/2007) cost about 50 or 60K, 4.5 days in hospital (which included starting me on sotolol for v-tach, so 3 days observation before the surgery), no ICU. So....it all depends upon what conditions you've got, what you get surgery-wise, and how you do afterwards.

We may have Universal Health care here in Canada, but I do know that my 4 day hospital stay, including surgery (mechanical valve) cost our health care sytem about $26,000

I don't know what the cost of the valve was but the total was just under $100,000.00 however they didn't get nearly that much once medicare and then BC/BS Fed paid.

Mine was billed out at $153,000 but I was in the hospital CSICU for 50 days and rehab for another 10.

$100K - give or take - seems to be pretty common in the US.

Hey, I got a heckuva deal. Mine, including surgeon, valve and 14 days in hospital was only $6700. Uh, but that was 40 years ago. However, if you use a 7% medical inflation factor, the "then and now" numbers are about the same. This is a BIG problem.

Cost

Cost

The last time I answered this question someone felt I had been double billed. But, I'll post again anyway despite previous allegations that I reading and math challenged. We kept very detailed spreadsheets of the bills associated with my AVR surgery and aortic graft. Total bills for my surgery added up to $250,000.00.

One of the things to keep in mind is that insurance companies tend not to pay every dollar that is billed. I don't know how much of the $250,000.00 billed was actually payed.

Interestingly, I visited with a parent today whose daughter had been in a vehicle accident. She spent five days in the hospital, and had a surgery to fix bleeding in her spleen. The total bills her family received totaled $175,000.00.

-Philip

Aaron

Are you back on this "I'm going to do this myself" thing? Ok - if you're going to do it, I'll volunteer to be the anesthetist.....start cleaning out your garage in preparation... :D

:D hahaha, the garage! Ya know it's funny you should say that because just before they put me out in the surgery room for my cystectomy, I looked around and everyone had nice big Craftsman toolboxes. Surgeons are like mechanics for the body.

Well guys, it looks like we better keep our insurance, huh? I wonder what happens if I don't have insurance and I still need it done. Bankruptcy?

:D hahaha, the garage! Ya know it's funny you should say that because just before they put me out in the surgery room for my cystectomy, I looked around and everyone had nice big Craftsman toolboxes. Surgeons are like mechanics for the body.

And I thought I was seeing things. I saw those big red Craftsman toolboxes too :D

valve bills

valve bills

Well, decided to pull out the bills and the hospital was $ 184,563.39 (I love the 39cents:rolleyes:) that's what was billed not how much is paid. I have gotten many other bills by several doc's too, the big one was just the hospital. The valve alone I know is $5,000 but the doc's charged $9,768.00 for it, I had tissue. I still get bills a couple times a week and I'm 4 months post-op now, when I have time I'm going to try and make sense of them. Good luck Debbie :)

On my post-op report it said they opened me up with a oscillating saw :eek:
I would think these guys are good in their garage too :D Debbie :)

Valve Cost

Valve Cost

I'd have to pull our records, but I remember noting the cost of my St Jude valve was very high. My wife commented that cars we have purchased have had a lower price tag.

-Philip

Long live the National Health Service. :):)

The 1940's founding principle of no cost cradle to grave health care in the UK, is a little frayed at the edges in 2008, however essentially it's free.

In the past 15 years I've certainly done well on the NHS. Two valve replacements, six or is it seven :confused: pacemakers, hospital stays, scans, tests, etc, etc, all came to £0. :cool::)

It is difficult to find a figure for the total NHS budget. The numbers are stunningly huge though. The NHS IT budget is £1.5 billion a year alone.:eek::eek:

What a great time to live in though! We're doing fantastic on medical advancements. 50 years ago alot of us would be dead meat. I thank the Lord I was born in this era. It might be expensive, but I would gladly sell my house and everything I own to have more time with my wife and family that I love soooooooo much.

Cost in India

Cost in India

Hi All, I am not sure whether this helps in sharing the cost in India. I can post it as FYI ;-).

I had a mechnical vavle inplant in India on June 6, 2007 (celebrating first the anniversary in few days :)). The total cost came to about USD 6,000. This include the ICU stay, private room and drugs.

I had an option to get this done either in US or India and I chose India ( I am from India) just because of the support system I have here. Also, the doctors here do many more valve surgeries compared to docs in US because the number of reumatic fever cases are more in India.

Reading insurance EOBS can lead to scrambled brain syndrome and require brain transplant!:DMy hospital bill cost20Kmy valve itself was a seperate charge of40K and I don't remember what my surgeon charged.

Lettitia

Latest posts

Back