Corona Virus Feb 2020

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, Tesco. And more missing items today than before, but still not bad: 4 items missing of 30 ordered.
Sainsburys is a joke - well would be a joke if it wasn't such an awful situation, at the moment telling people that if they are over 70, or 'vulnerable' that they will have priority, yet no slots are available, even with Click and Collect, for any date showing, and when you go online at midnight when the 'day' rolls over, now to April 8th, the slots are all showing as unavailable right away. Sainsburys also announced that elderly and 'vulnerable' only will be allowed in their stores the first hour today, ie at 7am. No one knows how to prove they're 'vulnerable' - bring along a copy of their medical record ?

I've got an Ocado delivery coming today (I hope it doesn't go astray), only thing missing is milk. Currently their website is down until Saturday whie they do some work on it - it is the one with the virtual queue to get on the site.

Our GP surgery is like Fort Knox - I had to deliver a letter to the surgery yesterday - large notices outside telling people not to go in. A row of chairs eight feet in front of the reception desk baring and guarding it so people don’t come near the receptionist. Not that I saw more than one other patient at the surgery - this is a surgery which serves 20,000 - all consultations done by phone if possible.

Target announced on Wednesday that they'll begin allowing Seniors and vulnerable people to enter the store an hour before it opens to the public -- on Wednesdays. They couldn't have announced it a few days in advance? I ordered some things for two day free delivery - this must have been on any two days that they wanted to deliver. Actual delivery was scheduled for 9 days.

My GP telephoned me this morning and told me that I am vulnerable and at high risk due to both my respiratory and heart condition (cough will stress my heart) and that I should self-isolate.

I always get our groceries online, though as you'll read there are problems booking slots now due to so many people trying to get their groceries online who never did before - I've been getting my gorceries online for the past twenty years ! The GP has given me a letter stating my vulnerability so if I can somehow let the online supermarkets I shop from know I may get priority slots. Otherwise my DH can go out and get groceries. There are a lot of shortages so we're sure to have to change some of the things we're used to.

Hope things stay safe for you and your family in the days ahead,
And keep safe yourself too Seaton !

I spoke to my bro who lives in Hammersmith and, from being a place wth lots of local supermarkets close by to get provisions from, they are finding it suddenly really hard to get things. I thought it was bad enough here (outskirts of London) but sounds worse in more central London.

Here where I live in US we can finally start getting some booking slots for delivery. For days Whole Foods would not offer a slot, yesterday I lucked out and in AM found a slot for later in morning and they delivered most of what I ordered. Sounds like here the supermarkets are better at staying stocked and limiting critical items to prevent hoarding. I started slowly building up groceries about 10 days ago and could go a few weeks without shopping if this get really bad.

Keep in mind the virus can live up to 24 hours on porous materials like cardboard and likely paper bags. When I get deliveries I carefully unpack them then place bags and boxes in corner. I wipe things down and wash my hands immediately.

Good luck and be safe!

Man, you guys are so much more prepared than here in the U.S. Thursday, while getting my echo, I asked the technician how she was doing with not touching her face. She alluded to the fact that these things always come up during a presidential election year. Every time there's an election she said, this sort of thing comes up. I was so saddened that I didn't even try to correct her. This is a technician...in my cardiologist's office! I meet with my cardiologist on Monday and will mention to her that she may want to get her workers on board with the idea that there is a pandemic and her patients are at risk!
I've heard the same, people saying that this issue was just brought up this year to make Trump look bad, as if that's difficult. It boggles the mind that they believe this worldwide story is all a conspiracy.

no, nothing like that ... between 2.5% and 3% ... but mainly the elderly.
Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer
AGE​
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old
no fatalities
I know everything is genetic basically but I wonder if there is a gene that makes one particularly vulnerable to this virus. A family in New Jersey, I live right across the river in Pennsylvania, had four people die of the virus within a week. They were of various ages obviously. I don't know who the fourth was but a mother died soon after two of her adult children did

I've heard the same, people saying that this issue was just brought up this year to make Trump look bad, as if that's difficult. It boggles the mind that they believe this worldwide story is all a conspiracy.

Probably same people are the flat earth folks. Too many people are just ignorant and selfish and feel this will not impact them. Also likely same people that don; want government then complain in a flood or disaster that government is not there for them.

You don't believe that this 'Chinese virus' was produced in some Democratic party laboratory, then brought to China where it can wreak havoc? The same virus was probably seeded here in the United States, where government inaction made this even worse. Right? And the virus was able to spread on its own to Italy and most of the rest of the world.

Closing the department that was created to deal with pandemics wasn't such a smart move.

In the past, Incumbent presidents would use fear (start a new war, make outside threats look more important than they actually were) to get re-elected. I can't believe that a pandemic like the one we're all struggling to avoid becoming the next victims of, and the early inaction and lack of preparation, and the probable recession that we're running into, will do much to re-elect this person.

Hey, Freebird - were this technician's ears brown?'
Keithl - thanks for the heads up on Whole Foods. I'll check them out online.

What I am finding in I need to check Whole Foods, Kroger and Pub,is almost daily to see when the open up delivery slots. Whole Foods has been easier to get in shortest time, but at times has 2 day or more wait. Publix is decent, but usually a day or so,out. Publix web site seems to have limited items, but possibly more closely matches stock. Kroger is also inconsistent in items or delivery days. Kroger and Publix use Instcart, which has mixed reviews. Whole Foods so far is a much more polished set up. Today I used Kroger at 3:45pm and it allowed delivery same day within 5 hours. The shopper started very quickly and texted me on substitution items often sending pics. By 5:15pm my order arrived. The Instacart delivery woman was in a rush, not sure to avoid human contact or to get to next order, but she kind of dumped the bags and front door and an orange started rolling away.

There is another new service called Dumpling.us that offers similar server where you pick your shopper. We plan on trying this service next.

There was a news report about people panic buying it here in California. Some claim that they need it for medicaal purposes - and would be in pain, or couldn't sleep, or for other reasons - so they wanted to besure that they didn't run out during the stores were forced to close because of the virus.

Since yesterday evening UK is in ‘lockdown’ - all shops, other than food stores and pharmacies, closed. I think banks and post offices are open too. Online supermarket deliveries now so busy that hardly anyone can book a delivery slot for weeks. Stores still have empty shelves in some parts of the country - no eggs in any of the stores this part of the UK (London area). People are only allowed out of their houses to buy food, to go to medical appointments, to care for vulnerable people and to go out once a day for exercise in a park - no more than two people together unless they are all part of a family. And keep apart from other people, at least two meters away.

The food situation is quite a worry. Online supermarkets are supposed to recognise ‘vulnerable’ people from a government database but it doesn’t appear to be working - I’m not on it despite what my GP wrote in a letter, and judging from what people on several supermarkets’ Twitter feeds are saying, lots have not been recognised as vulnerable. So while some are advised to self isolate how can they get food if there’s no one to go out and buy it for them ?

Latest posts

Back