Corona Virus Feb 2020

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the UK government seem set to ask the over 70s and people considered vulnerable with underlying health conditions to self isolate for 4 month, in the next few weeks.

i'm wondering if some of us would have to do this ?

I am an insulin dependent diabetic and have heart failure, so I already am. I think a lot will depend on people's own health conditions, and perhaps how densely populated your area is? I will still go out, fresh air is good! But not to crowded areas.

I am an insulin dependent diabetic and have heart failure, so I already am. I think a lot will depend on people's own health conditions, and perhaps how densely populated your area is? I will still go out, fresh air is good! But not to crowded areas.

View attachment 887330
although i'm asymptomatic, i'd imagine the extra strain catching coronavirus could put on my heart would not be a good think for me

the UK government seem set to ask the over 70s and people considered vulnerable with underlying health conditions to self isolate for 4 month, in the next few weeks.
I think I would due to having a respiratory condition (small airways disease which is similar to asthma, I use the same inhaler) and I have too small a replacement heart valve which must place some strain on my heart (presure gradients high)...plus I'm getting on a bit, I'll be 67 in three weeks' time o_O My diabetes is in remission so that's a positive for me in this.

Problem will be my son with ASD who needs support and will continue to come to our house - keeping him at 6 feet distance is possible but I can't stop him touching things like taps and the loo handle.

Hello everyone! I wish I had joined in happier times when my only concern was getting on with life while my mechanical valve kept ticking on...
i have been reading this forum since the summer of 2018 when I was diagnosed with AAA. Operated in October 2018, Medtronic mechanical valve and aortic graft done in St. Paul, Minnesota. On warfarin and lowest dose of daily metoprolol to help steady my beat.

i am alone with my two teen kids while my husband is in CH, relocated for work a month ago, and right in the thicket of the outbreak right now. We were supposed to join him in the summer, all very unlikely now.

Both of us fall into a somewhat more risky category, him being a 60y old male with a well controlled high blood pressure, me with all the “improvements “ done to my heart.

i needed to switch insurance due to my husband relocation, my new coverage takes effect on April,1

I worked with very small kids, many with developmental delays. I am surrounded by germs and always in extremely close proximity to runny noses and coughing mouths. I am still recovering from the cold I picked over a week ago.
it’s been a spring break and we are due back at school and work on Wed. I just sent a message to my boss that I was not coming back, cannot take any chances being the sole parent here. My nearest family members are in Canada, 7h drive away.

so I am hunkering down at home for now, will not be sending my teens back to school. If I were a totally healthy and sprite 48y old, I could consider other options...I don’t have the luxury though. Both schools are very large public schools, with the high school pushing close to 3K students.

apologies for the long intro, wanted you to know where I was coming from.
I was wondering whether any of you have seen the Joe Rogen interview with Michael Osterholm? He is a very highly regarded infectious diseases expert, happens to be based in MN. Sad to say, but he has been crusading for a better preparedness for years, and had predicted the situation we are in now many years ago.

The interview alludes to what some of you mentioned in the previous treads :
we are vulnerable because the chain supply is vulnurable. The supplies are usually low and heavily depended on uninterrupted productions in other countries, namely China and India.

He has no doubts that we will be in the outbreak for months, that the vaccine is not coming any time soon, and we must focus on protecting medical personnel as well as high risk groups. Everyone else will have to ride the storm.

I will be reaching out to my dr to get extra supplies of my two meds. While I can see do without metoprolol, warfarin is another story altogether.

Very grateful for you all and this site!

we are wondering that too. I’ll be 70 soon, my spouse is 75. We think we need to be prepared to stay home as much as possible and are preparing for that as best we can.

WV Panhandle population went into full panic hoarding mode on Friday. Stores empty of many products.

We started our garden in this eerily mild Spring. Greens already harvesting under the cold frame etc. And took stock of what preserved food we have on hand.

I feel very fortunate that my valve got done in January, and space to live. It wasn’t my plan. But I feel the universe gave me a big gift to be able to garden by now and breath 100 % better than I was late last year

I'm a little worried about going to the lab to get my blood drawn on Tuesday -- I'm still not past the 90 day waiting period for self-testing. Unfortunately, my last three INR checks have been below where my cardiologist wants me to be. I'll call my cardiologist's office tomorrow to check in. Also, I'll call the lab to find out what they're doing to prevent transmission of COVID-19 to patients. My spouse says that my medical providers might roll their eyes at me for calling so often, but they're probably grateful that they don't have to worry about me following instructions.

I have a cardiologist's appointment Tuesday as well -- with that and the blood draw, I'll probably walk six miles. I don't wanna take the bus!

Also, I'll call the lab to find out what they're doing to prevent transmission of COVID-19 to patients.

Questions like this are why I can’t work in customer facing roles. I’d have to fight the urge to respond, “Well. Beginning this week we’re going to start using a fresh needle for every patient. And we’re making hand washing mandatory from now on.”

Medical labs have and have had SOP’s for sterility and safety. If they’re changing things for this, it tells me they weren’t clean and sterile before. That would be a concern.

Medical labs have and have had SOP’s for sterility and safety. If they’re changing things for this, it tells me they weren’t clean and sterile before. That would be a concern.

I know the lab itself is sterile -- it's the waiting room I'm worried about. Because the lab I go to is operated by one of the companies offering COVID-19 tests in the USA, I'm wondering whether it will be crowded with people hoping to get tested. At this point, I'm not planning on calling ahead, but if I look in the window and I see that there are too many people in the waiting area to allow for staying >2m (~6ft) away from every other patient, I just won't go in.

Last edited:
The fear of labs is another great reason for self-testing.

Here in California,and in the City of Los Angeles, closures and other things have greatly increased in the last week or two. As of tonight, bars, gyms, and restaurants with patio seating have been ordered to close (although drive thru windows are still open). Events - even family events - with more than 10 people are prohibited. Messages are being sent that there's no reason to horde items - it's unnecessary and unfair to others. The Mayor said that there's no need for bottled water - L.A. water is already good.

I'd go shopping - but the Governor said that people over 65 should not even go out - they should shelter in place. I can't do that. We don't have supplies to last more than a few days, and paying extra for deliver of items is too expensive. I'm glad that some people think I still look younger than 65 (?).

Thsi stuff is serious - as if anyone doubts it. There was a flu pandemic in 1918 - you'd think that, more than a century later, we'be be a bit better prepared to deal with COVID-19. Now, we can track the cases more accurately and more quickly, but we'll have to see if the number of cases versus 1918's flu turn out to be that much different.

I'm very glad that the cost of online grocery shopping/deliveries here works out cheaper than going to the supermarket, ie savings in the cost of fuel as we don't use our car to drive to and from the supermarket. Added bonus is that someone else does all the work of picking the groceries I've ordered and bringing them to the door. It already says on the supermarket online shopping website to tick a particular box if you are self-isolating.

Im under 70 but I am awaiting my surgery. My gp doesn't seem to think I have huge problem re self isolating (I am extremely cautious anyway) but does anyone know differently ie what conditions they are referring to.
He said it would be respiratory problems such as severe lung conditions.

it’s been a spring break and we are due back at school and work on Wed. I just sent a message to my boss that I was not coming back, cannot take any chances being the sole parent here.

Hi there from Eden Prairie (another huge high school). You must be relieved that Minnesota canceled school for at least a couple weeks. I was about to call my teens in absent when we got the news. Hubs has a fever and cough and I didn't think my kids should be Typhoid Mary right now. Take care of yourself and your kids. It's hard to be apart like you are.

it’s been a spring break and we are due back at school and work on Wed. I just sent a message to my boss that I was not coming back, cannot take any chances being the sole parent here.

Hi there from Eden Prairie (another huge high school). You must be relieved that Minnesota canceled school for at least a couple weeks. I was about to call my teens in absent when we got the news. Hubs has a fever and cough and I didn't think my kids should be Typhoid Mary right now. Take care of yourself and your kids. It's hard to be apart like you are.
Thank you! Hello from Roseville!
Hope your husband gets over the bug. Weird cold going around, seems to hang on for a while,
Mine started with fever spikes up to 103, some sore throat, congestion... then a few days of nasty cough, back to slight congestion and mild occasional cough now.
Only acetaminophen for fever and a bit of Fluticasone for congestion. the rest was self care and taking it easy.
My options are limited with the underlying cardiac issues.
I do hope your husband’s illness will run similar course.
I am very worried for the months to come..

Im under 70 but I am awaiting my surgery. My gp doesn't seem to think I have huge problem re self isolating (I am extremely cautious anyway) but does anyone know differently ie what conditions they are referring to.
He said it would be respiratory problems such as severe lung conditions.
Heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, obesity, and others. Anything that depresses immune system. Lung conditions are bad because the virus attacks the lower respiratory system.

I may start ordering online, either for delivery, or to pick the stuff up in a special area outside the store.

I'm supposed to shelter in place - meaning STAY IN. I've been doing work (when I get some) remotely for nearly 40 years - back in the days when modems were something new and exciting (before that, I'd just mail or FedEx my stuff in). This didn't mean that I didn't get out a lot - trade shows, visits to developers, etc., but my stuff was delivered electronically.

This shelter in place isn't all that different - except that, being in California, I can no longer get freelance work because of a crazy new law.

But, I'm being extremely careful. When I go out, I wear neoprene gloves. When I'm at home, not wearing gloves, I wash my hands - fifty, sixty, seventy times a day - my skin seems to be rubbing off. I can't imagine why. And I'm not sure about the necessity of washing hands so much when I'm home - it's the same damned virus and bacteria that's been here from before COVID-19 even made it to the United States, and I haven't had anyone with it anywhere NEAR the house.

When I go out, in addition to wearing gloves, I have a face mask with a respirator. I'm really careful. When I go out, I even wear a condom.

Some questions:
  • Do you remove shoes and disinfect them when entering your home?
  • Do you remove clothes and wash them after being out?
  • Do you use a disinfectant when doing laundry?
  • Do you disinfect your car after being out, assuming you drove?
  • Do you know the proper way to put on and remove an N95 mask?
  • How do you dispose of gloves?

Self-isolation for 12 weeks!!!?

Does this mean that all your food and other stuff have to be delivered - preferably by a person in a space suit, in order to avoid transmitting the virus?

I'm supposed to also be self isolating but can't afford to pay for delivery of food or other items. I'll be going out to get stuff, once the insane hoarding stops. I really have no choice.

Good luck with your self-isolation.

Latest posts

Back