Corona Virus Feb 2020

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar here, we have been self-quarantining all 7 of us since my husband had fever and cough and no tests are available (he's doing just fine now, only lingering cough, will be fine. I habitually order groceries anyway for convenience and they arrive within 2 hours under normal circumstances. Now they are booking more than a week out. My friend shopped for us, bless her, and brought chocolate and flowers too. Neighborhood and church are organizing new ways to check in and help each other too to try to make sure no one gets left behind.

We shut one of our companies down as it's not essential but one is still open as an essential service supplying military & medical industry manufacturers. Unfortunately we did lay off some employees who were carrying out duties at both companies who were less crucial to manufacturing operations.
Life hasn't changed as drastically for us as some have experienced. Day to day production is slower for sure because social distancing and additional precautions are making workers interaction cumbersome; but everyone is making it work.

One personal thing we did do was move our gym equipment home from the office so we can work out in the evenings instead of through the day. Having diminished staff has made the days very busy. Plus, on weekends it helps to get away from television for a while.
Everyone stay safe.

Here is a link for the county I live in. Pretty good info on a small population.
thanks for posting that. Some thoughts:
  • the person doing that site needs a spanking for their pie chart design
  • it would have been helpful if other data was provided such as smoker / non smoker; asthmatic or other respiratory illness; other contributing co-morbidities in the list of the data on the deceased
but those stats are a bit worse than those reported from Whuan, so its interesting to help understand why.

The health data hasn't really been publicized, probably due to privacy laws.
Here is the County that I work in. Not as many graphs. Click on a city on the map to see the details. But they do show 4.7 days to double. I read cities in Northern California were around 8 days and they need it at 10 days or the hospitals will eventually get overwhelmed. I think the data is partially due to more testing and partially starting to see the virus spread.

https://www.rivcoph.org/coronavirus

Anyone else on here been told by their doctor/ government that they are high risk?

I received a letter earlier this week from the NHS telling me I am high risk and need to self-isolate for 12 weeks. I should also not be working frontline with patients anymore! Not the best thing to hear at 26, but life goes on. I'm actually very disappointed I will have to stop work and this will impact my career a bit, especially when there is no end in sight as of yet. Surely I should feel grateful and happy I'm being protected somewhat from this? But I just don't feel it! Even more so as I may have picked it up unknown at work already.

So, 12 weeks... that's just under 1% of my life so far that I'm expected to stay indoors for with no face-to-face contact... genuinely will find it incredibly hard to stick to.

*sigh sigh sigh*

Anyone else having a similar experience?

@daVinci
in my view isolating as much as you can and following protocols is the wisest thing. This is not something you want to get. True, you may be one of those who just get a fever and it passes. Right now we just don't know enough.

In the mean time I recommend this fellows interpretation and use of an older movie to discuss the situation today:

The short answer is that anyone with altered heart function is at increased risk, as Covid causes myocarditis as regularly as it causes severe respiratory issues (which in turn increases the load in the heart). End result is that COD is very often heart failure, not respiratory. May not feel like it right now, but you have been done a favour! And yes, I have been told that I am at increased by my cardiologist.

@daVinci
in my view isolating as much as you can and following protocols is the wisest thing. This is not something you want to get. True, you may be one of those who just get a fever and it passes. Right now we just don't know enough.

In the mean time I recommend this fellows interpretation and use of an older movie to discuss the situation today:

Watched Contagion last week, great film!

I completely agree and know that, just having a childish moan, my life has turned around in almost all ways.

I do believe I may have picked it up already at work, I was gasping for breath after one flight of stairs 2/3 weeks ago, chest pain, cough, red eyes, sore throat, the lot. All gone now and I have tonnes of energy. Just feels a shame to isolate to the extreme and give up everything when I may have some immunity.

But not enough is known about the virus yet to risk it- agree with you.

The short answer is that anyone with altered heart function is at increased risk, as Covid causes myocarditis as regularly as it causes severe respiratory issues (which in turn increases the load in the heart). End result is that COD is very often heart failure, not respiratory. May not feel like it right now, but you have been done a favour! And yes, I have been told that I am at increased by my cardiologist.

Yes, my cardiologist also called and told me not to work frontline anymore, completely reasonable especially as I'm for possible surgery once this is over, I just wish I didn't feel so disappointed, I'm focusing on trying to feel lucky. My mindset will change in time I know it.

Isolation is tough.

Hope you're all keeping well and thank you for the reassurance.

Here's to us all staying safe.

I talked to my primary care physician today and he agreed that I shouldn't go into work. Told my boss I would work from home the next two weeks. He was fine with it. The county where I work is experiencing an increase and I think the risk these next two weeks is too high. The county where I live seems to be flattening out but waiting for more data before I believe it.
Walked the dog in the rain today. Actually saw 2 other walkers, one with a dog and one without. Looked like a ghost neighborhood except for those two.

Day 25 under house arrest with a 17 year old who is into zombies

Attachments

• 202004078514994299815760938.jpg
    202004078514994299815760938.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 274
Having Bad-Cold/Flu symptoms does not necessarily mean that you had SARS-2, so would be wise to asume that having flu symptoms not necessarily means inmunity for the pandemic virus... , just a thought

I have a mitral valve bovine 2013, almost 7 years old. I am HIV negative, but I have started to take PREP - (HIV prevention) - Tennofir Disoproxil 300mg and Emtricitabine 200mg which is an antiviral for preventing HIV (also a virus), just in case it works. I told my cardiologist, who specializes in HIV related to the heart and he didnt say it would work for Covid 19, but he said it "may".'Anyway, he is happy for me to take it. In Sydney some hospitals have been using HIV drugs and hydroxychloroquine
There is also a Spanish study underway of 4,000 medical staff with the PREP, but also with hydroxychloroquine, the anti malarial drug. That drug is very hard to get now. The study is here. Will be interesting.

Randomized Clinical Trial for the Prevention of SARS-CoV-2 Infection (COVID-19) in Healthcare Personnel - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Latest posts

Back