CoQ10

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

My wife Alice is 86, has a pacemaker and is in borderline CHF. I have heard of CoQ10 for years. How it contributes to hearthealthy Japanese longevity, that Dr Weil the syndicated columnist and alternative medicine guru takes it , etc. I have decided to give it a try for both of us.. As with most supplements it has a long string of possible side effects. It potentiates antihypertensive drugs and can lead to dangerous hypotension in some patients. And of particular interest to this panel is that it interacts with warfarin decreasing its effectiveness.. In many patients the dose of warfarin must be readjusted.
My question is: does any one of our contributors have personal experience using CoQ10 that might help us?

Good Question Marty, I was thinking of trying it also, but heard that it does effect INR, so have not tried it as of yet.

Rob

I've been taking CoQ10 for the past two years, 200 mg per day. I've never had any side effects from it. It is supposed to have a very beneficial effect on muscle, especially heart muscle. I had my aortic valve replaced in January and I even increased the dose of CoQ10 just before surgery. Both my cardiologist and surgeon were fine with me taking it (I always inform my doctors of what supplements I take - I also take vitamin K2 which is beneficial for the heart/vascular system too). I haven't noticed any side effects since surgery and will carry on with it hoping to protect my heart and therefore new valve. I don't take warfarin so can't comment on CoQ10 and warfarin. One of the big pharmaceutical companies was going to package CoQ10 with its statin as statins deplete the body's own CoQ10 but they didn't in the end, probably due to cost.

PS- just remembered that when I was admitted to the hospital for heart surgery I handed in all my medications, including the CoQ10 and vitamin K2, and each day the nursing staff would give me my meds, including the CoQ10 and K2, as the docs were fine with me being on them…and I wanted them in particular to protect my heart when it was most vulnerable.

Last edited:
Anne, you might want to consider GPLC. It's a specific form of carnitine that has shown benefits for the heart as well as for general strength and muscle building. The P version is the one that has shown specific benefits for the heart, as opposed to the other form. I took it for several months and have recently tried without it, and I will be going back. It can be kind of pricey, but can be had on Amazon cheaper than most places.

OK, tonite INR 2.7, tomorrow I start Life Extensions CoQ10 I am persuaded my 87 year old mitochondria might benefit from some support. I will let the panel know if I notice any effect good or bad and also if the supplement seems to interfere with my sweetspot warfarin dose of 19mgm/weekly. Alice has declined to join me in this supplement adventure.

hey Marty, will you increase your INR testing? What is your current testing rate?

I don't know mgm , is that milligram? (mg is thr sdt abbreviation for milligram)

Hi Pellicle, Yes I intend to test weekly until I rule out an adverse effect from the CoQ10. My weekly dose of warfarin is 19 milligrams 3,2.5,2,5,3,2.5,2.5,3 milligrams

I have been on warfarin for 5 or 6 years and have no problem in maintaining my INR taking CoQ10. I take 100mg at lunch and warfarin at night. Started taking it to counteract muscle soreness from Lipitor and distance bicycling. It appeared to help.

Hi

My weekly dose of warfarin is 19 milligrams 3,2.5,2,5,3,2.5,2.5,3 milligrams

for no logical reason I somehow envy your low doses ... I'm between 7.5 ~ 8 daily to keep my INR on target.

Of course it doesn't matter about the dose needed only the INR obtained ... kind of like if you have a latest GSXR-1300 and I've got a 1989 Ducati 750 Sport ... what matters is we have fun riding them ;-)

ducati.jpg

Sorry, I never owned a motor cycle. I was in the armed forces for a long time. So many guys were hurt on their cycles, we called them murdercycles.

I have been on warfarin for 5 or 6 years and have no problem in maintaining my INR taking CoQ10. I take 100mg at lunch and warfarin at night. Started taking it to counteract muscle soreness from Lipitor and distance bicycling. It appeared to help.

Thanks this is useful information. I have been diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica(muscular rheumatism) and take prednisone 5 mg /day. This is a very low dose but high doses while very helpful are contraindicated. I still have muscle pains so one of the reasons I decided to try CoQ10 was in hope it might help. I'll let you know.

87 year old mitochondria? Wow

I had what I thought may have been an issue with a different OTC -- Quercetin (apparently a form of Vitamin C) two years ago. It seemed as if it was causing my InRatio meter to report lower than actual results. It turned out, apparently, that it was the meter -- and perhaps my blood chemistry -- that threw the meter off. Even when I discontinued the Quercetin, the InRatio was STILL higher than the labs. If I recall, I was feeling positive effects from it, but was kind of apprehensive about starting it again. With different meters (the one that I am most trusting of is the Coag-Sense), I may start it up.

It's good to hear from 'Lex Luthor' that CoQ10 didn't alter his INR.

I'm interested in your findings on this issue.

Unexpected result first week on CoQ10!

Unexpected result first week on CoQ10!

My INR and PT tonite were 4.3 and 42.7" after a week on 100mgm CoQ10. I am using the Life Extension formulation with added BioPQQ.10mg and shilajit fulvic acid complex 100mg.
My other medications are all stable . The CoQ10 is the only change. I have noticed no change in how I feel. I have reduced my weekly warfarin dose 10% to 17.5 mg. I will retest in one week.

My INR and PT tonite were 4.3 and 42.7" after a week on 100mgm CoQ10. I am using the Life Extension formulation with added BioPQQ.10mg and shilajit fulvic acid complex 100mg.
My other medications are all stable . The CoQ10 is the only change. I have noticed no change in how I feel. I have reduced my weekly warfarin dose 10% to 17.5 mg. I will retest in one week.

I almost forgot........I have stopped taking the Life Extension formulation of CoQ10 with shilajit and fulvic acid.

If you've stopped taking the Life Extension medication, you may not have to adjust your dose for long -- perhaps a slight reduction and more greens in your diet will bring your INR back where it should be.

The Life Extension people (on the phone help line) are pretty good about their products, they may have some advice, too.

I was disappointed that Life Extension offered no side effects from CoQ10 when I spoke to a "scientific advisor". I looked into the compound further and found shilajit is found oozing from rocks, a form of pitch and fulvic acid comes from humus.! You wonder about these supplement companies. Before they advise you , you get a long CYA that their advice has no scientific backing and their compounds cure nothing. They advise consulting an MD if you have any questions about their products. I agree. My board certified internist says he thinks the entire trillion dollar supplement industry is a scam. I take a lot of supplements but am beginning to believe he may have a point.

INR 4.3 to 3.5 one week no CoQ10. Reduced weekly dose 19mg to 17.5mg about 10%. I do not recommend CoQ10 Life Extension formula for a patient on warfarin

Latest posts

Back