Cool AVR operation video

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jitojo

Hi guys,

I dont know if anyone has posted this video before, or if this is the right forum.

This is a 1 1/2 hr of an almost complete AVR - the valve in question is a Medtronic Freestyle® Aortic Root Bioprosthesis.

Please be aware that the graphics aren't pretty.

http://www.or-live.com/wfubmc/1155/

Click on VIEW WEBCAST.

Hope you enjoy it.

Jito

No Thankx!

No Thankx!

I know I should see the video but I cannot bring myself to watch it (yet). Do the rest of you who haven't been under the cardio knife feel the same way?

watched it

watched it

I watched it last week and i am due an AVR in september. Amazing insight into what to expect. I'm glad i'll be asleep. :eek:

If all goes well

If all goes well

If I do need an operation and it goes well, I think I would actually enjoy seeing it (but only after the fact).

Question...

Question...

Can anyone tell if they are 'tying' (or interrupting) the stitches when sewing in the aortic root replacement? Doesn't look like it to me.. Just looks like what I'd call a 'whip-stitch'.

I did notice they tied each suture five times when sewing in the valve... all 35 or so of them.

Great video!

When I had my gall bladder removed a couple of years ago (laser surgery), they made a video tape of what was picked up by the camera they were using to guide the laser. When I left the hospital, they gave me the tape. I've watched it, two of my daughters have watched it, and my mother-in-law watched it. My wife is the only one not agreeable to watching it again!

I can't help but wonder if my cardiac surgeon can be persuaded to make another such tape... :D (my wife's answer: "He damn well better not!") :D :D

There is also a video of Dr. Cohn doing minimally invasive aortic valve replacement on the Brigham site: http://www.or-live.com/BrighamandWomens/1127/
We watched it before Dick had his surgery and we found it to be very reassuring. He just made it seem to be such a mechanical procedure and we were impressed with the mechanic!

Saw it

Saw it

I love OR-live.com I have watched numerous surgeries that I have had and that I am going to have. I am somewhat of a control freak, so I like to know what I am facing and like to be informed as much as I can. Some folks dont like to see it though. I was actually filmed during one of my surgeries in the 80s, my mastectomy, I was only 24 yrs old. I had it done at Christ Hospital in Ohio, I watched it once, it was really wierd watching myself get operated on.

It appears to me that they when they call them "interupted" stiches they are tying off each stitch with 5 knots (or 2 1/2 granny knots) and when they are not interrupted then they are a "whip-stitch."

ShezaGirlie said:
Can anyone tell if they are 'tying' (or interrupting) the stitches when sewing in the aortic root replacement? Doesn't look like it to me.. Just looks like what I'd call a 'whip-stitch'.

I did notice they tied each suture five times when sewing in the valve... all 35 or so of them.

Great video!

Thanks very much for the link to that video. It's exactly what I'm in for when the time comes, except for one detail that I actually emailed them a question about. I don't know if they'll answer, but they did invite emails from the peanut gallery, which was awfully generous of them.

It sure makes it real to watch it being done. It also makes it harder to think about doing it twice.... Everyone definitely looked like they knew what they were doing and I'm sure they wouldn't have any more problems handling a redo, but seeing that big chunk of metal retracting the chest cavity makes it pretty plain how very invasive it all is. And all that removal of body parts is telling...there's no going back!

Latest posts

Back