Cooker's Throwdown - Naturally Thin points

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Karlynn

Here are the 10 "rules" from the book "Naturally Thin" by Bethany Frankel, that Marguerite and I read.

1. Your diet is a bank account
(diet as in - what you eat - not a weight-loss program)
Just as you balance your spending and savings, you must balance your food choices. Most of the time think smart investments in healthy food. A splurge must be balanced into your daily dietary requirements
Food Voice (what you require for nutrition basically) vs. Food Noise (the negative that tells you you need that Snickers bar - after splurging on pancakes for breakfast)

2. You Can Have it All, Just Not All at Once
Good for when faced with a lot of food (church potlucks). Take a look at all the choices then decide which are the ones you desire the most. Don't have it all.

3. Taste Everything, Eat Nothing
Good for buffets and cocktail parties (and church potlucks). This doesn't mean to spit out your food. It means to have small bites of those items you want, a little of everything, rather than eating full servings of everything. (I'll be trying this tomorrow at Easter Dinner!)

4. Pay Attention
Pay attention when you eat. Don't eat mindlessly - such as in the car, in front of the TV, while doing work at your desk. This is how you end up over-eating and then not being satisfied because you were too distracted to even enjoy it. Eat with the intention of enjoying the food.

5. Downsize Now!
Simply - cut your portion size. Most people eat way too large a portion. Most restaurants have portions sizes that would feed 2 or 3 people adequately.

6. Cancel Your Membership in the Clean Plate Club

7. Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself
Try to understand why you over-indulge and don't participate in the habits/compulsions that harm your body. Stop yourself before you binge.

8. Know Thyself
Start to pay attention to what you do without thinking. Don't compare yourself to others.

9. Get Real
Eat "real" foods as much as possible. Stay away from prepacked, pre-prepared or processed foods. The less on the label - the better the food.

10. Good for You
Do what you know is good for you. Let yourself be thin. (It's kind of the outcome of following the other rules.)

This is a VERY simplified explanation. There was a chapter dedicated to each rule that explained it in much greater detail. If what you read starts to ring a bell, then I recommend getting the book.

It's not about dieting - it's about remodeling the way you think about how you eat and why you eat.

Marguerite - please feel free to correct or expand on what I've put done.

Good rules. Superbob heeds by not going to the beach Krispy Kreme factory when the red light is on -- that's when they are rolling off the conveyors hot and Superbob could easily eat two dozen of them. :eek::p Although since Superbob is currently walking Superdawg morning, noon, and night, hmmmmmm....:D

Bethany would tell you that it's okay to have a Krispie Kreme every once in a while if that's what you determine you absolutely desire the most. You'll just need to put it into your "bank account" and make adjustments in other ways. It's the Food Voice vs Food Noise. And if you do treat yourself to that KK - sit down and enjoy it slowly while looking at the bathing beauties. ;D Don't just scarf it down and run.

Thanks, Karlynn. I said I bought the book! I haven't read it yet! :eek: You've done such a good job, maybe I"ll just take it back! ;)

I saw the author on a talk show one channel-surfing day, and I just liked her attitude. I don't grab on to diets so much as just want to reinvent my lifestyle to better suit my goals.

It's a comfortable read, so I'll get on it! Thanks for putting this out for everyone. I'll add to it if I read something that makes special sense to me.

Marguerite

I still have a problem with the clean plate club because of the starving children all over the world.:(

Now how does cleaning my plate help those starving children? I haven't a clue. I guess I should have asked Mom that question.
Earline

DH and I went to our local greasy spoon diner for lunch. I had a double burger on toasted rye and fries - my usual. What I did this time was pay more attention to when I felt full. I ended up eating about 1/2 the burger and 1/2 the fries. I'd normally eat all of both. But I realized I was just continuing to eat even tho' I felt full. So I stopped.
And DH finished off the rest of my food. Oh well. That's his problem!!!

Anyway - this was practicing rule #6 and rule #8.

Thanks Karlynn. This comes at a time when I need some support..I'm really
bouncing around alot,with eating and the scales.
I relate to numbers 3,4,and 7,and 8. Especially to not eat mindlessly.
At times I will pick up a good book and 20 min later, a pound of trail mix is gone!!
and also know thyself, it helps to no your triggers,my biggest one right now is
boredom,and snacking when not hungry.
-Dina:)

Oh Dina...I hear you on the Trail-Mix addiction...I just keep grabbing handful after handful...:eek:

Great rules there Karlynn...
I like that it doesnt tell you not to eat potatoes or chocolate or any other delicious foods that we all crave at times...everything in moderation. Just gotta exercise our willpower more so we can say no before we overindulge.

Rule number 9 is one I have been implementing here at home for sometime now...too much salt and cr@p in processed foods...I must get creative and make spaghetti bol. sauce from scratch too instead of just buying a jar of it from the local supermarket.

These are very good Karlynn. They are helpful not matter what food plan you're following, except for the all chocolate plan of course. :)

Latest posts

Back