Cooker's ThrowDown Friday II.....1-2-09

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy New Year, Cooker

Good for you...that is a miracle!

I hate to report a gain of 3 lbs.:D I am hoping half of it to be fluids. I shall weigh in again tomorrrow -- I forgot to take any dieuretics when I eat out, and we ate a lot out.

I am setting a new goal and a more reasobale one for 2009...a loss of 2 lbs per month, making me 16 lbs lighter by September. If more, I shall be happier.

That's a good goal!!! Two pounds a week is a good pace .... any more than that you may not be getting proper nutrition.....:)

My scales have a holiday hangover, too. Mine read 137, which is up about 4-5 pounds from last week. But yesterday was a sugar/fat and saltfest at the annual New Year's Day doggy group gathering cum new puppy shower (not mine, thank G*d).

Today I banished all goodies from the office kitchen counters (home kitchen has already been cleaned out). I received applause for stashing them out of sight. It's a start.

Today's goal is to eat only my WW Core foods and no extra points. Oh yeah, and get some exercise.

Congrats to all the Throw-downers who are resolved to shed those pounds that we (Superbob, for certain) enjoyed so much as they went on so easily during the holidays!

And to The Chimp, a special congrats! -- a 3.5 pound loss between Christmas and New Year's! WOW! In the spirit of newness (new year, new hope, all that jazz), and in recognition that without this Throwdown started by The Chimp, Superbob's belly would just be consolidating those holiday gains and adding more.....Superbob hereby refrains from accusing The Chimp of using certain banned substances to achieve his holiday miracle. :D:D:p:p

Seriously, The Chimp is an inspiration to us all. Not to mention a barrel of laughs. :)

You guys must have really had a good Holiday...all the good food
you talk about...I actually stayed on my diet throughout:)
Not to give myself a pat on the back or anything...to be honest ,I
wasn't really that hungry anyway:confused: Though I did have some
stuffed shells made by my SIL...yummy! But didn't eat much at all.
So that is why if I get on the scales, and I am the same....I just don't
think I could stand it. On the other hand ..I do feel thinner :)

-To all those who gained a little...atleast you enjoyed it.

-And to all those who didn't gain...what a coup!

Wow, some pretty darn good news from all of you losers!!!

My holidays didn't tally high on the scale. I'm kind of even. I'm starting the New Year at 201. Because I just turned 55 a few days ago, I'm actually going to make it my goal to lose just that this year.... 55 pounds.

That said, my husband (who unfortunately likes me just fine at 201 :mad:) shared a New York Times article with me. If you cannot get the link, I'll paraphrase my favorite parts of the article. the link is http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/01/fashion/01change.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=new year's resolution&st=cse

It's titled New Year, New You? Nice Try

It mentions Oprah and she shares some new words of wisdom ?My goal isn?t to be thin,? she wrote in O. ?My goal is for my body to be the weight it can hold ? to be strong and healthy and fit, to be itself.?

But here was the most helpful comment.....
Caroline Leavitt, a novelist in Hoboken, N.J. For five straight years, Ms. Leavitt broke her New Year?s resolution to stop biting her nails. ?I went to a nail salon and had fake nails put on, I bit those,? she said. ?I tried Lee press-on nails, I bit those off. I tried the stuff where you paint on nails, I bit those off. I even tried psychological stuff ? ?If I bite my nails, terrible stuff is going to happen to me, I?m not going to sell my novel.? Nothing worked. In the end, Ms. Leavitt said, she overcame her habit after visiting a hypnotherapist. ?The hypnosis didn?t work, either,? she added, ?but something he said did: that I would always want to bite my nails, but the key was that I would want pretty nails more. He was right. I still want to chew my nails to the nubs, but I keep admiring my hands instead.?

I like that. I would want a slimmer, healthier body more than ...... sitting still, eating too much, whatever. Yep. I like this focus. What do ya'll think?

:) Marguerite

My scales have a holiday hangover, too. Mine read 137, which is up about 4-5 pounds from last week. But yesterday was a sugar/fat and saltfest at the annual New Year's Day doggy group gathering cum new puppy shower (not mine, thank G*d).

Today I banished all goodies from the office kitchen counters (home kitchen has already been cleaned out). I received applause for stashing them out of sight. It's a start.

Today's goal is to eat only my WW Core foods and no extra points. Oh yeah, and get some exercise.

Yep..... I'm with you on the exercise .... I need to start back walking ...I have been a real bum about it since the time changed

Wow, some pretty darn good news from all of you losers!!!

My holidays didn't tally high on the scale. I'm kind of even. I'm starting the New Year at 201. Because I just turned 55 a few days ago, I'm actually going to make it my goal to lose just that this year.... 55 pounds.

That said, my husband (who unfortunately likes me just fine at 201 :mad:) shared a New York Times article with me. If you cannot get the link, I'll paraphrase my favorite parts of the article. the link is http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/01/fashion/01change.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=new year's resolution&st=cse

It's titled New Year, New You? Nice Try

It mentions Oprah and she shares some new words of wisdom ?My goal isn?t to be thin,? she wrote in O. ?My goal is for my body to be the weight it can hold ? to be strong and healthy and fit, to be itself.?

But here was the most helpful comment.....
Caroline Leavitt, a novelist in Hoboken, N.J. For five straight years, Ms. Leavitt broke her New Year?s resolution to stop biting her nails. ?I went to a nail salon and had fake nails put on, I bit those,? she said. ?I tried Lee press-on nails, I bit those off. I tried the stuff where you paint on nails, I bit those off. I even tried psychological stuff ? ?If I bite my nails, terrible stuff is going to happen to me, I?m not going to sell my novel.? Nothing worked. In the end, Ms. Leavitt said, she overcame her habit after visiting a hypnotherapist. ?The hypnosis didn?t work, either,? she added, ?but something he said did: that I would always want to bite my nails, but the key was that I would want pretty nails more. He was right. I still want to chew my nails to the nubs, but I keep admiring my hands instead.?

I like that. I would want a slimmer, healthier body more than ...... sitting still, eating too much, whatever. Yep. I like this focus. What do ya'll think?
:) Marguerite

Marguerite....

This is a very healthy way to approach change ?.. the question I have asked myself many times is ?x? worth giving up ?z? for ?.. I would like to say that I have always made the correct choice but I have never lied to any of you before so I?m not starting now:p ?. Point being is that it just boils down to what is more important and making the right decision ?.. a hell of a lot easier said than done??

You all are right on the button.....eating can be an addiction, which is best treated in the method of making a choice.
Every day we all have choices: whether it be to overeat, drink, smoke, gamble, or whatever.
Each choice we make can have potentially grave consequences: whether it be ill health, financial ruin, marriage breakdown, etc.
I admire everyone who stops to think before indulging in destructive behaviours and makes a better choice.
Oops, I'm poking my nose in here.....and now throwing my 4 cents in the bucket.
Best wishes to all!

In all honesty Cindy and I did not weight at WW this week. We had a few other irons in the fire.

I did weigh at home this morning. It looks like I'm up about 5 pounds. We'll weigh at WW in Louisville next Thursday and will report a more official weight. Cindy only has to weigh once a month at WW, so she may not be reporting her weight as much.

Good job Cooker; that kind of surprise is certainly nice at this time of year!

Good job to all other losers/maintainers. Mary, you'll be on the losing side next week; hang in there!

Exercise: Oh yes, we walked 45 minutes yesterday after returning from a pig out brunch/card and board game playing party. It was significant in that I haven't walked much in a while; it was also our official first walk in the new neighborhood area.

Marguerite, I like that thought process. It is much more effective I believe. I need to put it into practice, starting NOW.

Memo to The Chimp:

Do you use gin-you-wine, sun-kissed South Carolina prunes to make your renowned kickapoo juice, or do you import them from the Left Coast or France? :D The Southern States have no prune embargo currently in force, do we? :p

Superbob needs to know. He feels the need for a post-holiday cleansing to kick-start his weight-loss for oh-nine.

(Just ignore The Ref. :eek: Sometimes a guy has got to do what he has got to do. ;) )

Memo to The Chimp:

Do you use gin-you-wine, sun-kissed South Carolina prunes to make your renowned kickapoo juice, or do you import them from the Left Coast or France? :D The Southern States have no prune embargo currently in force, do we? :p

Superbob needs to know. He feels the need for a post-holiday cleansing to kick-start his weight-loss for oh-nine.

(Just ignore The Ref. :eek: Sometimes a guy has got to do what he has got to do. ;) )

Honestly, I used no banned substance. I do not think you want to use my current equation for weight loss?.stress:mad: ?. Not that I am complaining, but my schedule has not been inducive to weight gain ?. I have been staying on the go.

Now about the ?Holiday Cleanse? ?.. As co-founder I here by approve any and all forms of cleansing throughout the month of January?..

TheChimps favorite quick cleanse, fill a coffee cup with prune juice, heat it in the microwave and drink while hot and repeat process.....Make sure there are no obstacles between you and the bathroom?.:D

Memo to The Chimp:

Here's a better question . . . can you yank your Superbob costume up and down quick enough for a "post-holiday cleansing"?:eek:
Think about it.;)
The Ref:p

Nuked PJ -- just the thing, perhaps blended with the kickapoo juice that put Dogpatch on the map, perhaps with a sprinkling of metamucil. :p

SB's suit is specially equipped to handle offloads. Nuff said. :p

Well, I feel like I got my exercise for the year! I went grocery shopping! :eek: Doesn't sound like much until you realize I'm less than 2 weeks post-op. :eek: I'm BEAT! Couldn't even get the groceries into the house. I'm waiting on DH to come home and do it for me (he's on his way).

Back