Cooker's Throwdown Friday ... 9-6-13

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooker

Chillin, just chillin....
Supporting Member
Greetings Throwdowners :thumbup: I hope everyone is well and making downward progress. I would like to say that I have been perfect this week but I'm actually up 2 pounds from Sunday but thankfully down 1 pound for the week. I allowed myself a few sugary treats and some southern fried delicacies. :biggrin2:

What seems to be working for me (for now) is sugar and fat abstinence for a week then a week of eating what I want but controlling portions. So far, so good. I don't seem to be able to fit exercise in right now as I'm working 50+ hours a week. Hopefully this schedule will be over by months end.

How has your week gone? Managed to shed a pound or two? Any profundities to share? ...... Have a great week!!

2013 Starting Weight: 231
Last Weigh In : 224.25
Todays Weight: 223.25
YTD: 7.75

Will start out with the positive: I have been exercising regularly. Superdawg and I do whatever kind of walk we can in these sultry, steamy conditions (which are supposed to improve in the next few days). Then I gave the exercise bike and even a treadmill a good spin the day after Labor Day, and did a glorious 40 minutes of aqua exercise in the almost-deserted community pool yesterday. Will do same today.

The negative is that maybe I've been too receptive to comfort food. DW always cooks a lot of goodies for holidays. No one makes me eat as much of it as I do; that's on me (literally). Then yesterday we did a new Olive Garden that's opened nearby -- it was great -- but I know pasta is only an occasional treat.

I'm just going to say that as of this morning, I am down only 2 pounds for the year, and I am now 3 pounds over my target goal for 2013. (Those of you who follow these postings will know this is a backslide of 5 or 6 pounds for me.) I appreciate the accountabiity of those of you who post precise weights every week, but I'm sparing myself that pain for today.

The good thing is that because of the TD, I still have that goal before me, and when we consistently get cool, crisp, invigorating fall weather, I will be able to do more walking. I need to do the training, because I've signed up to captain teams in both the Heart Walk and the Walk to End Alzheimers. I need to see if my bionic knee is up to as much as a 3-mile walk (could drop back and do just the 1 if it seems I might be stressing it too much too soon.)

All best to all our Throwdowners.

I'm hanging in at 149.
I'm getting back to my exercise program after 2 weeks with a strained lower back. The muscle relaxant spiked my INR, and I've got ugly petechial rashes on my lower legs. Called the cardio's nurse to see if they need to see me, or wait until my October appointment
It looks like we have a long term foster pup. His out of state rescue fell through and Hubby doesn't want to send him back to the shelter. So we're going to neuter him, keep training him, and take him to adoption events. It would be ok, but he plays too rough and Jet doesn't really like the excess enthusiasm. She can take some of him, but not a lot of him.
Anyone want a soon to be 80 pound mixed breed mouthy puppy?
http://www.makcophotos.com/FriendsofRowlettAnimals/Elton-Foster-Dog

That's an epic tug-of-war! Looks like Jet was holding her own. You sure you're not going to be attached to this busy, mouthy puppy? I have Sadie plus my son's very energetic 3-yesr-old yellow lab next door, so I don't think I could handle another one.

NO! We're NOT keeping him. Foster, dear, foster.

Jet likes to play tug, so long as the toy is big enough that he doesn't grab her flews. She hates when he takes her head or feet in his mouth. The Labrador is not a chew toy. Most of the noise during tug comes from JET. She likes to talky-growl when she tugs, then he starts to answer her. It's all good so long as the fur stays flat and the tails wag.

His biggest problem is he likes to dog wrestle (body slam), and he's nippy - he's trying to herd us 'cause he's part herding dog of some sort. Smaller dogs, older dogs like Jet, and small children are not a good match for that. BUT he's smart, and affectionate. He's just a lot of dog, needs to learn manners, and will take a little while to place.

Wishing a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our very own KENTUCKY FLASH!

Enjoy that cake and ice cream, Wise man!

Thank you friend! I had a Gigi's cupcake at lunch with friends. Tonight I'm going to have another one!

Say a prayer for Cindy. She lost a very close friend today who had battled cancer for a couple years, at least. She seems okay, but I know how hard it is for her really.

Thank you friend! I had a Gigi's cupcake at lunch with friends. Tonight I'm going to have another one!

Say a prayer for Cindy. She lost a very close friend today who had battled cancer for a couple years, at least. She seems okay, but I know how hard it is for her really.

Oh gosh, that's a tough thing, to lose a close friend like that. Despite medical progress, cancer is still such a terrible scourge. Will certainly be praying for Cindy.

I'm really late - partly due to having been out of town for a week, and partly due to the forum outage.

So. . . a belated but nonetheless heartfelt HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WISE! May you have so many happy returns of the day that you tire of counting them.

I'll skip weighing in this week, but I'm OK on that front. I think that Laurie and I must be on the same page of life sometimes. Last Monday evening I suffered a pinched nerve in my lower back and spent much of Tuesday in the ER, having X-rays and getting prescriptions for muscle relaxants and pain meds. I'm still not back 100%, but at the moment over-the-counter ibuprofen controls the pain and inflammation, and I'm gradually trying to get back to my normal routine. This "getting old" really stinks sometimes.

A day in the ER is no fun! -- Hope you are much better today, Steve. :thumbup:

Mr. Chimp, peanut butter is even better straight out of the jar. Why dilute it with jelly. :tongue2:

I tried to sign on here yesterday morning, and got some hideous looking "Frozen Heart" logo -- my anti-virus guardian said it was something bad. :eek2: Did anyone else get that? Hopefully whatever it was, it has been intercepted and zapped.

Happy belated birthday, Wise, and condolences to Cindy. Steve, I've never had a pinched nerve but just the mention of it makes me shudder.
We got home late Sunday, tried to peek in yesterday but saw the message that the site was down. The outage postponed my True Confession Blew-The-Diet post. I won't bore the group with details, but it does involve pie . . . . lots of pie.

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone, including Nelson (good to "see" you). Also, thanks for the prayers and well wishes concerning the loss of our friend. Her husband is having a celebration of life ceremony at their house this Saturday.

Too bad we didn't get the sordid details of your pie story Mary!!!

Steve, I hope you continue to improve. I have had a pinched nerve (in my neck) and the pain is intense. Best wishes for a complete recovery and muy pronto.

I look forward to the next post of the Peanut Butter Saga: jelly or no jelly. I actually like it with honey.

I used to love peanut butter - the chunky sort, too. Since I've been on the low-fat diet (long time now), I've stayed away from it due to its high fat content.

I'm slowly improving, but not pushing it, either. I have been walking, as that is said to help, but no heavy exercise until I see my doc next week. Getting old stinks (but it beats the alternative).

Peanut butter is probably the No. 1 reason I have so many fat cells in my body begging to be constantly replenished. Yet, given that I am in my eighth decade, and still eat a lot of peanut butter, I will take it that the benefits in high protein etc have been considerable.

My dear Mama and I ate peanut butter all sorts of ways. One of best recipes (I have never in my life been able to get anyone to try it, even in my own family, even my DW) is roughly this:

Take some big gobs of creamy peanut butter.

Mix in big bowl with generous gobs of ketchup.

Mix into the bowl generous quantity of finely diced onions.

Stir well.

Spread on white bread, then toast in oven til brown.

Absolutely yummy! Peanut butter/ketchup/onions --- YES -- they blend together wonderfully.

Won't someone in Throwdown please please try it? :smile2:

(Wise, peanut butter and honey is also deelish!)

P.S. I just asked asked DW again if she would try just one bite if I made some of this heavenly concoction. One teensy bite! We have been married nearly a half-century. And she refused again. Her comment: "Elvis doesn't live here anymore." : ) I believe Elvis liked pb and banana sandwiches (which even a Chimp should love) but that is NOT in the class of peanut butter/ketchup/onion, toasted. : )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back