Cooker's Throwdown Friday ... 10-11-13

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooker

Chillin, just chillin....
Supporting Member
Greetings! The fall temps have arrived in SC and it is wonderful! I don't know if last weeks weight was a false high or what because I'm down an unexpected 5.5 pounds this week. I was talking with Duffey earlier in the week and told her I did not think I was doing that good:confused2: ... I'll take it:thumbup:

I have not been exercising except for golf (heading out in a few minutes) but I do walk as much as possible when I play. I think substituting fiber bars for most snacks and no seconds at meal times has helped. Had my yearly with my PCP and all is well there. I have my yearly cardio and eye exam next month and if I get a thumbs up from them I should be good to go for another year.

How are you doing? I hope you have had a good week and made progress in whatever you are working toward. Remember, Rome was not built in a day!!

2013 Starting Weight: 231
Last Weigh In : 222.00
Todays Weight: 216.50
YTD: 14.5

Well, Mr. Chimp, down south you need the fall temps to have some sort of life at this time of year. Here in the weather (#&^% of the universe, fall only means that winter is soon to follow. We still have had some bright sunny days, but with highs now only in the 60's -- and that is unusually warm for this time of year. Heck, we often have snow flurries on Halloween. I hate when that happens. I have been enjoying fall, nonetheless, and hope it is a long, pretty one this year.

This has been a rough couple of weeks for me. The weekends have been tough - in all the most enjoyable ways. We've been out to eat at some really fun places, but that is not great for weight management. As if that isn't bad enough, I've had to miss a couple of gym days and some walks because of other things that just had to be done.

On the plus side, the therapy for my pinched lumbar nerve is coming along really well. I've gained back a lot of range-of-motion, and have had several pain-free days in the last week. All of this from a growing set of stretches and simple motion exercises. Who knew?

All that said, I can't complain about my weight.

Start of year: 164.6
Last week: 157.4
This week: 157.2

week: -0.2
YTD: -7.4

I'm not complaining. I'm just hoping that I'm far enough into my target range (the 150's) to be able to stay in range over the winter and holiday season.

Sounds you guys are doing pretty good. I too am enjoying the fall temps, but like Steve am not looking forward to the winter. We are doing good here in Louisville. Very busy to say the least, but we have done well this week as far as eating. I still don't know my weight, but that will come. Hope everyone has a great week.

The weight is static. Down 2, up 2. lather, rinse, repeat.

I've been too busy to enjoy the outdoors much. Work has been busy with deadlines, so no noon walks at work, although I'm getting plenty of walking with the foster dog in the evenings. Between his exercise and his obedience training, we're spending close to an hour every night...plus the morning walk, plus play time.

I'm just concerned DH won't be willing to give the pup up, even if we find a home for him in the next couple of weeks.

I saw the EP yesterday, and my first scheduled "battery change" (as opposed to "quick, swap the pacer for an ICD so she doesn't croak") will take place in the spring. We'll probably go for a 3-lead ICD, if there's room for the extra lead in my artery. Sigh, that's another surgery and 2-4 weeks recovery with restricted activities I'm not looking forward to.

Look at it this way, Laurie - you're far better off having the device replaced than thinking you can go without it (at least I know I would be that way). Also, 7 years isn't bad for one of these things, and maybe the newer one will be even smaller than the old. That's one thing I'm going to look into when my battery goes - maybe by then they will have smaller devices that won't look like somebody left a stack of silver dollars under my skin (I guess that's what I get for being a skinny old gym rat). Also I may want to look into getting an MRI compatible next time. Mine was implanted just after valve surgery and I had no input into the model chosen. I was told later that they chose the smallest one they had because I am a small person. (I guess I should be thankful for small favors. . . )

Okay, I don't want to leave it on such a sour note as my last post. I will weigh tomorrow morning, I really will. It's been an exceedingly hectic week: keeping an extra dog, going to grandkids' games, rooting for the Redbirds, writing, working, blogging, taking DW to her meetings and appointments, eating out too much.

But today I had a morale boost: I completed the 3.3-mile area Heart Walk, with no pain in my bionic knee or the other leg either. I am tired but I have no pain.

Moving on to next challenge: the Walk to End Alzheimers.

I'm pumped now -- time to keep moving, and keep reaching new challenges. :thumbup:

Glad all of you are doing well!

Congrats on a successful walk, SB.:smile2:

I'm weighing today in anticipation of tomorrow's thread start by Cooker. I'm finding it hard to get on the scales in the morning due to chauffeur duties and watching a grandchild on the days I'm not driving him around! Anyway, I'm up a pound from the last weigh-in but still optimistic!
This week's weight: 149
Last week's weight: 148

Back