Contacts andCoumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djacq

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
I hope these questions are not redundant to people but I was unable to find any postings about this:

Little things seem to becoming bigger things since I had my AVR and on Coumadin.. Suddenly, it occurred to me that maybe I should give up my contacts!?!! (Just bought 6 mo supply!). What is the chance of injuring my eye in placement and removal? I have bruised my eye in the past but was just learning how to use them.

Also, I would prefer hard RGP?s contacts in the future but would that be more risky?

Is anyone wearing hard or soft contacts and any complications to watch for?

Finally, have a diagnosis of ?Glaucoma Suspect? and have frequent testing, Glaucoma, Slit Lamp Exams etc. Does anyone know if theses or any eye testing are contra-indicated or higher risk now that i am on Coumadin?

Thank you for considering my questions,

Donna

I have read the abstract of at least 95% of the published articles on warfarin in the past 6 years and I have never seen anything about a problem with contacts of any type.

contacts

contacts

i'm 6 months post-op, wear disposables as well.. actually wear them more than i should.. I wear same pair for a couple of weeks, than give my eyes oxygen for a couple of days.. I know, I know - should take them out more often.. anway, i had my yearly eye exam since the op and he mentioned I shouldn't have any problems.. the only thing I heard from other people is the possibility of 'bleeding in your eye' - you know, when you bruise it or pop a vessel.. it happens alot to my boyfriend since he has had his eyes drilled on to remove welding bits - but it goes away in several days.. my concern would be if it didn't slow down, or get worse, than, being a coumadin patient, I would see the doc then..

on the glucoma thing, i'm not sure your's is the same as my chance, but 'heriditary glucoma' runs in my family.. it's different then age related.. it can happen at any time.. my mother had it and had the laser surgery for it and it's gone.. so far i'm fine, but I have it listed in my record anyway.. if you need that type of surgery.. she told me it's a breeze..

i hope to have the laser surgery done in a few years (the popular lasik), to get rid of glasses and contacts - maybe in the near future they can do something about those pesky floaters that drive me crazy..

have a good one

christine :)

Back