Consult w/ 2nd surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catwoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
John saw Dr. William Ryan at Dallas Presby yesterday. Ryan gave him a 95% chance of being able to repair the mitral valve.
I asked about Plan B, if a repair didn't work out, and Ryan said he'd use a porcine or bovine valve. He seemed surprised when John said he wanted a mechanical. He better understood when we explained about John's dad going through 2 tissue valves within 10-11 years and that was why I chose a mechanical 4 years ago when a repair wouldn't work. I also said I wanted to minimize the possibility of a reop for me. (Dr. Ryan did admit that tissue valves usually need replacing at 12-15 years.)
He said he could use either a St. Jude or Carbomedics valve, if John wanted a mechanical as Plan B. He has put in 1 On-X.

Plan A would be a port-access incision, replacing the ruptured chordae with Gore-Tex. Hospital stay 4-6 days. John could go back to driving @ 2 weeks.

Like all other doctors John has seen, Ryan believes the damage is due to the head-on car accident John had in December 2005. Has operated on others after similar car accidents.

Now we need to thoroughly examine pros and cons of each surgeon and John will need to decide which one to go with. We are looking at early June, after my mom's knee joint replacement (5/22) and between 2 trips I must take.

It sounds like you have done all your homework, Marsha and you and John have all your options laid out for you. Now you have to make the "hard" decision, but I am sure all will be fine whichever road you choose to travel and we wish you both the best.

Hi Marsha, just wanted to wish you both well as you sort things out over the next few weeks. John is very lucky to have you beside him.

Per my post on the anticoagulation thread, Dr Ryan did not come across as biased during my consultation with him. I got copies of my medical records last week and was reading the letter from my former cardiologist to my GP. In the letter he stated when he examined me he heard no murmber whatsoever and commented it was a beautiful surgery by Dr Ryan. The surgery outcome was the sole reason I went to Dr Ryan.

Good luck with this big decision. I am glad to not be in your shoes anymore! :)

PS It sure would have been nice for the cardiologist to have shared the positives about my surgery with me. Instead he jumped on the a-flutter issue and it was downhill from there!

Marsha,

Sounds like you and John are taking the needed steps to make an educated decision for yourselves ... and John, especially.

Thoughts/prayers coming your way as you continue through the process and into surgery....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
my radio show:CD SHOWCASE.7:30p central.Friday/April 20 = www.wrmn1410.com

Looks like we're moving faster into setting a surgery date.

John had a recheck with our cardiologist today, who said to get into surgery in 3-4 weeks, not in June. Valve is deteriorating.

I called my RN niece today for help in how to decide between 2 equally good surgeons. She's now a stay-at-home mom, but had worked in ICU at Baylor Plano, saw lots of heart surgery patients. Knows of Dr. Ryan, says nurses like & respect him. She called a former co-worker who said Ryan's patients have very few complications, no bleeding issues. Co-worker said if she had to have OHS, Ryan would do it.

You sound like you both are well prepared if John has to have surgery earlier than expected. The silver lining is less time in the waiting room and getting it done while a repair is still possible. Best wishes through the surgery and into a smooth recovery.

Latest posts

Back