Considering Second Open Heart Surgery - Opinions?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize this should be a discussion between me and my cardiologist, and I will be doing just that next week. But I wanted to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation. I had mitral valve repair, the maze procedure (for AFib) and removal of the left atrial appendage in the spring of 2016. I am now 71 years old and own and operate my own greenhouse and nursery business. Recovery was slow and the AFib IS gone, thank heavens, but I am certainly not "good as new." Tests show that the mitral valve still leaks moderately, not severely AND the tricuspid valve leaks severely. Darn it! So I find myself often short of breath and physically unable to do some things.

Unfortunately, the tricuspid valve was leaking when I went in for the mitral valve surgery. I didn't notice that on the test results - as I was concerned about the mitral valve. Not sure why the surgeon didn't deal with that at the time - maybe too much being done already? Mistakes were made perhaps, and now I have to look forward.

I have heard somewhere that the recovery from a second open heart surgery, splitting the sternum, will be twice as difficult. I am already having memory issues and don't want to push that boat over the falls. Of course I would like my doctor to tell me how much longer I have to live as I am currently set up, and how can he realistically know? If anyone has any opinions or experience with 2nd surgeries, please get back to me. If you are uncomfortable writing here I can be reached at [email protected]. Thanks.

Hi

AmandainVermont;n878727 said:
... I am now 71 years old and own and operate my own greenhouse and nursery business. Recovery was slow and the AFib IS gone, thank heavens
... Tests show that the mitral valve still leaks moderately, not severely AND the tricuspid valve leaks severely. Darn it! So I find myself often short of breath and physically unable to do some things.

I have heard somewhere that the recovery from a second open heart surgery, splitting the sternum, will be twice as difficult.

I've had 3 open chest operations, I wouldn't say that one was worse than another, although I was 10, 28 and 48 at those occasions.

What I've read here from others suggests that the majority didn't find it worse (not that I've compiled accurate stats).

However I'd be asking another set of questions. Let me give you an example. One of my good friends is about 81. He plays 18 holes of golf on Wed and 9 on Sat morning. He is a keen gardener and does heaps around the house in terms of repair, maintenance and yard work. 2 weeks ago he went in to have a surgery to remove a tumor on his lower intestine. He was told it was benign, but perhaps best removed anyway. So after this surgery (while still in the ICU it was found that his intestine was leaking (which is real bad) and they found that (un-like their expectation) that an unrelated area (which they had not touched) was now leaking.

He remains in a critical condition and on dialysis because the peritonitis (caused by the gut contents leak) set him into organ failure. Still its un-clear if he'll ever come home.

My point is this: Risk Analysis.

As one ages the risks associated with every surgery (yes, even General Anesthetic is risky) increases. You need to discuss very clearly these risks with your cardio and then your surgeon.

Myself on my own last surgery (to fix an aneurysm and to replace the aortic valve again while in there) resulted in me getting an infection which took a year to surface and 4 months of surgeries and fighting to fix. I would not expect (knowing how weakened I felt) an older person would have recovered to be able to go XC sking again (or perhaps even survived).

Surgery should be under taken when the risk of not having the surgery exceeds the risk of having it. There is no doubt I would be dead now had that surgery (to repair the aneurysm) not been done (nearly 7 years back now).

Best Wishes

well said Pellicle. I had two open chest surgeries in 8 weeks: 5/2017 and 7/2017. first was AVR; second to put titanium plates in my sternum, which never fused from OHS - subsequently becoming dislocated. I'm still in pain and trying to recover. None of us ever knows (nor do the surgeons) what state or complications await us on the other side of surgery. I wish the best for you Amanda. Thx for sharing your details Pellicle.

well said Pellicle. I had two open chest surgeries in 8 weeks: 5/2017 and 7/2017. first was AVR; second to put titanium plates in my sternum, which never fused from OHS - subsequently becoming dislocated. I'm still in pain and trying to recover. None of us ever knows (nor do the surgeons) what state or complications await us on the other side of surgery. I wish the best for you Amanda. Thx for sharing your details Pellicle.

Back