Connection Between Calcified Valves and Arthritis?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily

Premium Level User
Is there a connection between calcified valves and arthritis? From what this non-medical person found during some web searches, apparently there can be a connection, though I don't know how common it might be. Has this subject been discussed recently?

Background: I have a relative who suffers with rheumatoid arthritis and I was researching foods in the nightshade family after a friend recently told me that she was able to halt her arthritis by avoiding those foods in the nightshade family. As I was researching this, most info I found said that the nightshade connection with arthritis is rare; but I also found these [following] pages and quotes and it made me wonder about this possible connection with calcified valves (soft tissue)?

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=62
EXCERPT:
"Effect of steroid alkaloids on joint health
A second type of problem potentially related to the potato alkaloids involves damage to the joints caused by inflammation and altered mineral status. Whether alkaloids can contribute to joint damage of this kind is not clear from current levels of research. Some researchers have speculated that nightshade alkaloids can contribute to excessive loss of calcium from bone and excessive depositing of calcium in soft tissue. For this reason, these researchers have recommended elimination of nightshade foods from the meal plans of all individuals with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or other joint problems like gout.
"

http://www.naturalnews.com/027978_nightshade_vegetables.html
EXCERPT:
"One of the major problems attributed to nightshades is arthritis. In fact, one in three arthritics will react badly to nightshades. Some researchers believe that arthritis is often misdiagnosed in people who may in fact only be experiencing the effects of nightshade consumption.

Alkaloids appear to affect the metabolism of calcium. Though not yet understood how, nightshade foods may remove calcium from bones and deposit it in soft tissue, setting the stage for arthritis. For this reason, researchers have recommended that all individuals with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or other joint problems like gout eliminate nightshade foods from their diet.
"

So from this point, I searched about calcified valves and arthritis and found pages of info including a description of "...calcification and thickening of the annulus of the aortic valve attributed to rheumatoid arthritis..."

Any thoughts, information, or experience you can share?

Lilly, I'm rather skeptical of reported anecdotal experiments by individuals. Since no one knows why valves become calcified, the only thing that can be discussed is a possible "association" of problems. Based upon the possibility that two health problems seem to be associated with each other in time one cannot make the leap that they are definitely related. Perhaps one day research will do so. In the mean time, if one is considering herbal supplements, I think it is very important to learn as much as possible about the adverse aspects of the drug. Because something is "natural" does not mean it cannot harm you.

Perhaps the single biggest problem with the Internet is that so much information is available that it can be difficult for us to evaluate the relative merits of the information available. One of the problems with medical studies, is that many publish preliminary results which may not in the end demonstrate the validity of those early results. I agree it does seem reasonable that if arthritic disease processes produce calcification they could be related to other types of calcification. Our bodies are highly complex organisms, however, and what appears reasonable may not prove to actually share a causal link.

With respect to arthritis, I have experienced one thing that has been repeatedly documented for a very long time. I began keeping honeybees 10 years ago. During that time, the arthritis that was developing in the joints of my hands appears to have been arrested. This connection between honeybee venom and its positive effect on some inflammatory diseases seems to be real. Even so, there are many that claim honeybee venom is a kind of universal snake oil that will cure almost anything; I think one should be very skeptical of that while considering there is at least some evidence that it does seem to help a few conditions.

Larry

Thanks Larry :)

A little more specific info, for anyone who might find this subject interesting: The Nightshade family of plants, Solanaceae, are a large group of thousands of flowering plants, many quite common, such as potatoes and tomatoes and peppers, used for food and medicinal purposes for millenniums. This link is fairly dry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightshade but search "nightshade" and you will find much information on the subject across the web.

Nighshade plants contain alkaloids. Alkaloids are nitrogen compounds. Some alkaloids are known poisons, while others have medicinal uses; you will recognize: nicotine, quinine, cocaine, and morphine, all products from the Nightshade family.

There is the THEORY that steroid alkaloids found in nighshades can leech calcium from bones and cause joint inflammation, possibly among some sensitive people, calcifying soft tissue; and that when some people avoid these foods (as my friend has) they can halt their soft tissue calcification.

When I read about the possible soft tissue calcification, I wondered if heart valves could be considered as similar soft tissue and so I searched that aspect of it and was actually surprised to see the results of that search.

I thought some of you would find this possible connection interesting. Best wishes :)

Yes,very interesting to read possible theories on causes of calcification, especially when no one seems to have the answer as to what actually causes/increases calcification of the valves.
Thanks for sharing Lily.

But Lily,
I love salsa and that's loaded with tomatoes and peppers!
Thanks for the links,
John

This is very interesting. Thanks for the info. I already have trouble with tomatoes and hot peppers (acidy on the tummy and hot peppers causing PVC's). Potatoes have always made me sleepy and irritable, but since I'm menopausal I have something else to blame the irritability on so I continue to eat potatoes!!! :tongue2: However, I can easily discontinue this......

Now let's see. What can I eat??? Seems there isn't much to choose from when you've erased all the problematic things from your menu! :frown2:

Really, tho. Interesting. Keep informing us. Thanks

Marguerite

Where did this thread go, Lily?

So I started googling and ended up buying an eBook by a guy named Michael Fowler. He had it on "special" for $5 download -- seemed reasonable. Haven't had time to peruse it much yet. In his Dedication he credits his parents for trying everything to help a "sickly child" and thanks nurses, too. Doesn't sound like his childhood was much fun. His "disclaimer" (Forward) sounds familiar... "Nothing in this book should constitute medical advice. This book has not been written as a manual on medicine, or for self-medication. The author is simply bringing to light many of the pub-lished reports that exist within the scientific community that have not received public attention.
As always, before any changes in diet, one should seek the advice of the medical doctor before proceeding. If you feel the suggestions contained within this book may be helpful for you, then consult your doctor and ask if a change of diet is permissible.
This book is a culmination of the author's research on the poisonous effects of nightshade plants in the human diet. It is to spark interest and research to further understand the ramifications of night-shades as a staple food in the human diet."

I won't get to it today, but will try to get back with some other info from the 228 pages.

His website is.. http://www.nightshadefree.com/

:smile2: Marguerite

Back