Conk's Second Surgery Successful

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bruizer

Hi,

I just got back from seeing Denis at the hospital and wanted to let everyone know that he is doing fine and his 2nd surgery was a success. For those of you who were not aware, Denis had his first AVR in December, 2002. After about two months, the new homograph prolapsed and began to leak. He elected to have a St. Judes Regent mechanical this time around.

Seeing how good he looked today was truly a source of inspiration for me as I am scheduled to have my second AVR on September 12. I had the Ross Procedure performed in December, 2000. Denis and I both had the same surgeon who happened to be Arnold Schartzenegger's surgeon. It's kind of funny how I have had more anxiety about the upcoming second surgery than I did with the first surgery. When I told my son's that Denis did great, they said "we told you have nothing to worry about".

Thank you so much, bruizer, for letting us know about Conk and about yourself.

I was thinking about you both and haven't seen either for a while. Now I guess I know why.

Please send congratulations to Conk and I am sure you will do just fine.

I put your surgery on the calendar so we can keep track of you.

Again, Conk, good for you. You should be AOK from now on.

Take care,

Thanks, bruizer, for updating us. I'm not sure any of us knew that Denis was up for another surgery. Please pass along my very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I'm sorry to hear that you are also having some problems, but it sounds like you're hooked up with a good team and have the plan in place. Here's to a smooth, uneventful second round for you, too!

Thanks

Thanks

For the info on Conk..I was wondering whatever happened to him after surgery. Enjoyed all his pictures he posted. Did he have the same Surgeon? Not to offend you, but sounds like Arnold, Conk and You did not do so well after surgery. Arnold blew his several days later riding a bike too fast. I remember Conk's posting about exercise and your posts about running 3 miles after 3 months.:eek: My Cardiogist told me..take it nice and easy for 6 months. Light exercise. no lifting... I am a woman and can understand male valvers wanting to get back in shape sooner than later..Golf, ect. We, women, just want to get back in shape enough to do housework, kids, shopping, ect.:D Please again. I don't want to offend you..but please take it nice and easy this time. Say hello to Conk from all of us.:) Bonnie

Hi,

I just got finished talking to Denis and he is doing excellent. He probably will be able to go home tomorrow. They are just trying to get his coumadin dosage regulated.

Nancy - Thanks for the encouragement. Although we have never communicated directly on this forum, I have always appreciated your opinion especially with regard to multiple open-heart surgeries. Even though my surgeon has leaned towards a homograft, I have decided to go mechanical this time. I just do not want to go through a 3rd surgery at 60 given the scar tissue issue and collateral damage from previous surgeries. As you and many other people on this forum have pointed out, coumadin is not that big of a deal. Both my cardiologist and internist feel the same way and believe I will still be able to continue to have a very active lifestyle i.e. running, tennis, and light weight training. I probably will give up snow skiing and martial arts but that's not that big of a deal.

Johnny - Thanks for your encouragement. After seeing Denis, a lot of my anxiety has been relieved given the fact that he had a second surgery after only 8 months. Mine will be about 2 years, 9 months.

Granbonny - Thanks for your encouragement. I asked my surgeon and cardiologist if I tried to come back too quickly when my newly transplanted valve started to prolapsed 4 months after the Ross Procedure. They both said I did not try to come back too quickly. I also consulted another world-class surgeon and he also said that my workout level had nothing to do with the valve failing. Having said all of that, I am going to take it much slower this time around. As far as the Arnold S. thing, I believe it is a myth. Although I have the same surgeon as Arnold, I do not have any first hand information. However, if you have time, read the following link:

http://www.vigormagazine.com/lib/Hrt/Hrt-Arnold.htm

This forum has been great and I have met some great people such as Kevin M., Conk, srwieland, and Mara.

God Bless!

Hi bruizer-

I think you've made the right choice this time around. You won't have another surgery hanging over your head. Multiple surgeries certainly do take their toll, as I've said many, many times. I've witnessed all the ramifications. You won't find Coumadin too much of an inhibition to your lifestyle.

I wish you all the best, and I'm so glad Conk did fine. I don't want to see you fellows have to go through this ever again. It's just way too stressful.

Sometimes valves fail for no apparent reason, nothing anyone can do about it. Being in shape is always a good thing.

Take care,

We appreciate the info on Conk. I am glad that he made it through just fine = just sorry he had to do it twice.

And you will be ok, too. Please let us know how it all goes, Bruizer. We always care, you know. Ann God bless

Hi Bruizer,

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. I too like Conk had to have a second surgery after 8 months. For me my second surgery was much easier, I went hoome after 3 days and recovery time was easier. I knew what to expect, which I think helped a great deal. I did go with a tissue valve and know someday I will need surgery again, but I'm happy with my choice. It has been 6 months and I'm back to a pretty normal life; I play lots of golf, some basketball, which I plan on playing more now that I'm 6 months out. Take care and your surgery will be a breeze. Tell Conk hi and hope he has a speedy recovery.

hi bruizer!
first of all, thanks so much for letting us know that conk is doing well.
if you speak to him, please send him our wishes for a speedy recovery.

secondly, i just wanted to wish you all the best in your upcoming surgery.
it will be behind you before you know it.
please come here and we will keep you company while you wait...

i had no idea either of you was going in for a second surgery...

wishing you only the best. you are in our thoughts and prayers.
be well, sylvia

Hi Everyone,

I talked to Conk yesterday and he is doing well. He experienced some back pain (probably a result of the surgery) a few days ago but is doing much better now. He has also been doing very well getting his INR stable.

Thanks to everyone for all of the encouragement. As my surgery rapidly approaches (8 days and counting), I definitely appreciate the encouragement and prayers. You would think that since I had the Ross Procedure 2 years 8 months ago and know the whole routine, I wouldn't have too much anxiety but sometimes I get a little stressed. I talked with Conk about this and he said that's the problem! I know the routine (especially taking out the chest drainage tube). Sometimes I wonder why I am even doing this right now since I am able to run 3 miles a day easily. However, my cardiologist says that this is the best time to do it since I am in such good shape and I know that he is right. It also doesn't hurt to have one of the best heart surgeons in the world either.

At any rate, I just want to get it over with. When I saw Conk in the hospital one day after his 2nd AVR, I wanted to be where he was, on the other side of AVR.

God Bless.

Hey, bruizer

Hey, bruizer

I think anticipating another surgery would be pretty tough; but consider this: the chest drainage tube removal didn't bother me a bit (and I'm the world's original wimp). So it doesn't have to be bad, and it's real possible you'll hit the jackpot this time.

Best of luck; we're all with you, you know.

Has anyone suggested that you take your pain medications a little before they remove the chest tubes? That might help. Tell your doctor about your fears and perhaps he can suggest something like that for you.

For Denis

For Denis

Sure hope things are going well for you this time and that you will have a quick and complete recovery. Best wishes, ~Susan

And Bruizer had his surgery today... Sure hope all went well for him too! ~Susan

Hi all from Conk!!!

Hi all from Conk!!!

I really appreciate Bruizer posting my situation about the second AVR I just underwent and all the encouragement from everyone.

The second surgery seemed to be a much easier experience for me. The only thing I had left in me (other than a new St. Jude's valve) was my IV on the 2nd day. The one thing that did seem much more severe was back pain. I had experienced some after the first surgery, but this almost seemed like a pinched nerve. Even at 2.5 weeks post surgery, it seems to be fairly stiff with some pain, but this is improving each day. Other than that, I'm doing fine and really not finding coumadin to be much of a problem so far. Just trying to find the right dosage to get my INR at the right level, about 3.0.

I don't think diet will be much of a problem either. There are not really that many foods that I've found to be high in Vitamin K, so I don't think diet is of much a concern.

I am very much trying to take my time on recovery exercise this time around. I won't do weight training until at least 2 months post surgery and then will start very slowly and light. I'm already up to 30-45 minutes on a stationary bike, but I'm vigilant to keep my heart rate below 130 and average about 120 for the time period.

As for my feelings regarding having another AVR only 8 months after the first, you can imagine this is not what I had envisioned. As I read through the threads on this site, I seem to see a preponderance of folks really against taking coumadin, and I based my choice for a valve on the first surgery based on avoiding coumadin. I tell you what, after having surgery and then 2 weeks later finding that you have a valve that is leaking and will not last very long is extremely disappointing. Although I think I made a good choice initially, I really did not appreciate that the data points to getting 10-15 years with a homograft, if everything goes well and you have a homograft that is of good quality. It seems to me that there are probably a significant number of cases such as mine, where folks don't even come close to getting 10-15 years from their homograft's for one reason or another. This doesn't seem to be much discussed by the surgeons that perform these surgeries, but if you are looking at a tissue valve, make sure you ask the hard questions.

I hope that Bruizer is doing well. I will going down to USC tomorrow to visit him and I will post his progress after the visit. I?m sure he is doing fine and look forward to seeing him. Thanks again for the all the encouraging words from the very nice folks on this site.

Regards?Conk

Hey Conk,
Glad to hear how well you are doing. I am like you that the coumadin is not a big deal so far. I hope your recovery continues to be uneventful.
Take Care

Dave
Heart Center of the Rockies

Conk,

We both had our 2nd AVR on the same day, I also replaced a homograft with a mechanical valve. Only difference was mine lasted 14 years, almost double what I expected.

My second surgery was much easier also - at least mentally. I also had tremendous back pain - it is still what hurts me most. Now it seems to have localized around my right shoulder blade, right shoulder, and sometimes down the back of my right arm. I keep thinking pinched nerve somewhere also.

Lying in bed is not a happy thought, though I find I'm sleeping better as time goes by. I will pick up running and weightlifting eventually, like you I'm not in a rush. I have nothing to lose by taking it slow, as compared to rushing into something.

Good luck!

Hi Conk-

It's so good to hear from you. You sound just great. It's hard to find out that another surgery has to be done, when you thought everything was OK, but you're on the road now.

Please tell Bruizer that we are all thinking about him and waiting to hear of some news. We worry when we don't hear. He'll be in our thoughts and prayers until we hear how things went.

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

I just got home from the hospital late this afternoon, eight days after my surgery on Friday, September 12. After being in the hospital for only four days after my Ross Procedure in Dec., 2000, this lengthy stay was not anticipated. The AVR surgery went very well and I now have a St. Judes Regent like Conk (same surgeon). The pain overall seemed less this time around. I didn't even use a pillow most of the time when I had to cough. However, there were other aspects that were worse. For one, I had 3 chest drainage tubes this time around and one of them which was pressed near my diaphragm caused excruciating pain. Fortunately, they removed it the second day. I also struggled with extreme nausea (probably from the pain medication) and dehydration for several days. My hemoglobin count was also low and I had to receive 2 blood transfusions after 4 days post-op. Finally, they had to get my INR stable. I did not realize that this process can sometimes take a long time. I was not prepared emotionally to be in the hospital for several more days while they figured out the proper dosage for me. For 3 consecutive days, they would say I would be going home, only to be told the next morning that I had to stay another day.

I feel extremely blessed and fortunate that when my aortic valve started to fail 3 1/2 years ago, there was technology available which basically has saved my life. I am also blessed that I had one of the best surgeons in the world, Dr. Vaughn Starnes, and an outstanding suporting cast of surgeons and nurses.

I pray that I never have to go through this again. I remember reading one of Rob's posts where he stated how he remembers lying in ICU with the breathing tube down his throat and thinking "Thank God I don't have to do this anymore". Well, that was my first thought.

For me, the mechanical valve was the right choice at this point in my life. Having 2 open heart surgeries in less than 3 years caused a lot of anxiety. Although valve replacement is extremely successful today, we should not downplay the fact that it is still major surgery. Because I recovered very quickly following my Ross Procedure (I was back at work in 2 weeks and running 3 miles a day by the third month), I convinced myself the surgery was not that big of a deal. It's a big deal. For me, I was much more emotional prior to the surgery. Unlike the first time when I was laughing and making jokes until they put me in la-la land, I (Mister Macho Man) broke down a couple times waiting to be wheeled into the operating room. Looking at my 3 kids, my brother, my mom, my girlfriend, and ex-spouse was overwhelming.

I want to thank everyone for their prayers and support. I feel like the members of this forum are now part of my extended family. I want to give special thanks to my new friend, Conk. I felt much more confident going in knowing that yours was successful. I want to thank Nancy. I took your advice regarding the pain medication and chest drainage tubes. You are also one of the main reasons I elected to go mechanical this time. I want to thank Kevin M who was kind enough to e-mail and talk to me on the phone regarding valve selection. And most of all, I want to thank God for watching over me.

God Bless you all!
:)

Glad to see you back bruizer. Yes it is a big deal and I would hope that no one is downplaying it any. Do yourself a huge favor and take it easy this time. No need to be He-man and be doing what you were able to do before at 2 weeks and 3 months out. This is going to take time. Remember why you had surgery in the first place-To save your life! You didn't do it to be an all star athlete or competitor. None of us would voluntarily go through these surgeries and if someone did, I'd be the first to tell them they were nuts.

Your length of stay was about the normal. I wasn't as lucky. I had many complications and wound up in ICU for 50 days and 10 in rehab. Talk about not ready and emotionally unkempt. I was a basket case.

The good thing is that it is now past. Now you can walk, nap, breath and slowly recover. Please do not be in a rush and expect more from yourself then your body can handle. It's been through a beating and it's going to not like you for a while yet.

Here's wishing you an uneventful recovery and future good health! :)

Latest posts

Back