Congestive Heart Failue

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Nikki

:) Wonderful work with the new forms Hank, keep it up.

I posted in the old form about my sister-in-law who had second AVR in March, 2001. She has been on lasix since then & not knowing (really) why? Last week she tried to drive for about 10 miles and had CHF symptoms again, which was verified with her another visit to ER.:( Cardiologist later explained that it is happening due to the thickening of her heart walls.

Does anyone in the form has had experience like this? We would like to know how long it is going to take till she can start taking care of herself with minimum help. She is a computer professional but does not feel like logging in to it (even to be part of support group). Should we concern ourselves that she might need a career change in an year or so when she is able to go back to work?

Any guidance/help on this will be highly appreciated. Thanks all who replied earlier to my queries.

Congestive Heart Failure

Congestive Heart Failure

Hi Nikki-

I think you might want to get more information from the cardiologist about your sister-in-law. My husband has been having difficulties with CHF for a couple of years. He is having a particularly difficult time with it now because his mechanical mitral valve is regurgitating and causing fluid backup in his stomach, lungs, throat and legs. He is extremely fatigued and breathless. He will be operated on July 18 to replace the imcompetent valve and also to possibly repair or replace his own tricuspid valve which is also regurgitating.

To help him with his fluid buildup he is on Lasix (double dose) plus brief spurts of a very powerful diuretic Zaroxolyn. This requires blood tests for kidney function afterward. He also must take extra K-Dur during this process.

I think you would want to find out if her valve is operating as well as it should and also to find out if any other valves are having problems. This might require some testing. There might also be an outside chance that this is part of the healing process and will improve with time.

I think you need some professional answers. Give the cardiologist a call.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nancy

CHF

CHF

:cool: Nikki--I'm curious as to what CHF symptoms your sister-in-law is having. Does she have breathlessness or feelings of faintness? Does she have fluid retention? Curious as I have a St. Judes mechanical for aortic valve replacement little over 2 years ago. I have occasional periods of breathlessness (usually when over-fatigued from working long hours or some such or a stressful period) with palpitaations, but have not thought of them as CHF related.

Any thoughts from anyone out there? So far, echos have shown no problems otherwise. Thanks, Susan:p

CHF

CHF

Thank you Nancy & Susan. Nancy I am keeping you & your husband in my prayers, May his surgery go well & relieve him of this suffering. I am educating myself more about CHF so we can ask Cardiologist meaningful questions. One site I found was http://www.heartfailure.org/pages2/faq.html

Susan, my sister-in-law is having shortness of breath when she retains fluid in her lungs, no where else. She takes 40mg of lasix daily. Cardiologist didn't feel necessary to do any more tests but told her that your heart walls has thickened with the overwork heart had to do when valves were not working. We don't know any further prognosis.

Susan, take it easy & keep up with your appointments, keeping close watch on your INR. You must mention to your doctor about breathlessness, he might want to ensure that your valve is working okay.

By the way, I could not figure out different replies to different messages so forgive me for replying together.
Thanks again

Hi Nikki

Hi Nikki

I'll be thinking about your sister-in-law. Please let her know that there are others with the same problems. Congestive Heart Failure sounds so terrible, but it can be managed with meds. unless it gets very severe like my husband's.

It's an uncomfortable condition. And eating salt free is really "yucky". She's probably salt restricted.

I wish her all the best.

Nancy

Latest posts

Back