completing health history forms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DachsieMom

I had AVR (mechanical valve with Dacron tube) last year as a result of an aneurysm. I struggle with the health history questions on various forms- particulately when forms ask about heart disease. I don't view this as heart disease - it was a thoracic aortic aneurysm - and I am now fixed (supposedly for life). I generally answer no and then hand write "valve replacement - aneurysm". I think of heart disease as those with calcification, etc. which I do not have (I am 43). What do others do?

Do not answer yes to heart disease. Its a red flag that will follow you around. Heart disease is a broad term but in the medical community the read that as coronary artery disease. Youl be knocked for all sorts of things like insurance and stuff if that follows you around. Those forms are usually just yes or no. So unless it says heart surgery, or mechanical valve, I would just stick to the yes or nos and answer honest but dont try and stretch one question to fit another answer.

I agree with both of you - I think that if your heart and arteries are healthy then you don't have heart disease. I don't have heart disease, I have a birth defect which required surgery to fix. So unless I start having symptoms of heart disease I'll continue to leave the heart disease boxes alone, but if and when they ask me for my surgeries then I put down the OHS for valve replacement and aorta repair.

Another thing I hadn't even thought of yet, I would probably just have ticked yes for heart disease but not now
thanks

Back