Complete Non-Sequiter: PawPaw Tree Needs Mate

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobagotwo

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Totally non-heart related, unless you include the love lives of trees...

I have a desperate tree. I've been planting pawpaws for years, but only one has grown to size. The rest die, no matter where I get them from, or where I plant them. Right now, that tree is massively covered with flowers. And I can't get any cross-pollination.

It took about seven years before this tree was ready to flower, and we won't be here long enough (we're moving in a couple of years) to get another tree to that stage. I had one that was going for several years, but someone took the fencing covering it off and the deer ate it down to the stem last fall. Interesting, because deer aren't supposed to like pawpaws.

So, I'm asking if anyone has pawpaw flowers they could send, so I could hand-pollinate. I'd be happy to send some flowers back, if they like. I don't know what else to do.

I recall from past years that the flowers stay on for a couple of weeks at least, so there should be enough time to wait for mail.

To legitimize this post heartwise, I will add the news that I've finally managed to get off my beta blocker (Bystolic) and still have good BPs, due to taking a diuretic in its place.

I'm glad to read you're off the Bystolic, but I don't envy you the diuretic. Lasix has become a major factor in determining how, and when, I start my mornings.

We don't have a pawpaw tree, but I will start looking around the neighborhood and throughout town. If I find one flowering, I will see if I can sweet talk the owner out of letting me take a few and sending them on. It's late enough in the season that they might be through blooming by now.

We went through something similar with a mulberry tree years ago, so I understand your request.:smile2:

I hope someone can help you and your tree. We used to see flowering paw-paws in Great Falls NP in Virginia, but have moved too far to offer to filch any. Do you have a native plant organization in your area? They're probably aware of some paw-paw locations.

Latest posts

Back