Comcast Customers Be Alert! Phishing Scam

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

The reason I'm writing is you might want to put on the Forum the following: Yesterday I received in my email something from Comcast. Spam Bully put it in my unsure folder and I checked its contents by clicking on Properties/Details/Messages and read it. It appeared they were contacting customers to let them know their latest payment could not be processed. Could I have changed banks or whatever....ya da, ya da. They had a link to click for me to update my info with them. I was suspicious and called Comcast. They said DO NOT CLICK on that link, that they don't send emails out and it was a pishing scheme. They asked me to let other Comcast people know, so I did. I thought you might want to put a little blurb on the Forum to alert people who aren't quite as suspicious as me or who are not running Spam Bully to block things like that.

hi ross,
thanks so much for that!
my identity was stolen earlier this year (feb) when i responded to an email that was phishing... i stupidly (naively) clicked on the directed link and that was all it took. before i knew it, my credit card bills were showing charges of all these new accounts being opened, etc. fortunately, i caught it and contacted one of the big credit companies....it took weeks and hours of work in order to retrieve all my money. in fact, i'm still waiting for a good deal of it. (had to report it to my local pd, dealt with detectives, the ftc... don't ask!)
i no longer click on ANY links sent to me unless i expect them.
thanks again and hope you're doing well,
sylvia

I got that today and sent it to comcast, they haven't got back to me yet, I suggested they put something onntheir site, explaining they don't send out emails Lyn

Spam

Spam

I have an account with Amazon.com. A couple of months ago, I got the same type of e-mail asking me to update my information. The e-mail looked just like it was coming from the Amazon site. I sent it to Amazon and they replied that it did NOT come from them.
I know people who have received the same type of e-mail supposedly from eBay and from PayPal.
One cannot be to careful when using online accounts.

I always pick up the phone to verify anything I get like that. A few months ago I got an email from my credit card bank. It came from the bank's address (supposedly) had all the logos in the right places. Said to go to such and such a link and refill out my internet access (since I do bill payment online). I clicked on the link - it was the "bank".com's address or looked to be, and it asked for all my info including my SS #. I didn't fill anything out, called up the bank and they said that they would never send out such an email. I then asked if I should forward the email I received to them. The woman, totally unconcerned, said "Oh, if you want to." :eek:

Bottom line is, no financial, utility or anything else is going to email you for account information. NONE OF THEM. Do not fall for these tricks. If you get something you think is real, get off the computer and go to the phone and call about it instead.

we were phished too

we were phished too

We encountered a phishing episode a few months ago. Got an e-mail from what seemed to be legit Paypal about a transaction that never occurred. HUsband called Paypal and they told us that it was not legit and if we ever get an e-mail that seems suspicious to NEVER click on any of the links provided in the e-mail. They said if you do click on a link from the e-mail that you should change all your account info (such as acct # & passwords). I was pretty surprised at this as we had never had anything like that happen to us before. And the e-mail from "Paypal" seemed very real.

I keep receiving e-mail to update my e-bay account...lol..have never had one,do not want one. They do try dont they?:eek:

Part of my job is to follow up on theses scams and get the sites taken down.

I deal with over 10 of these a day.

These scams are huge and people fall for them all the time.

Never trust an email. Don't open attachments and always insure the site you went to is the site you really wanted.

If you really want to get scared google "DNS hijacking"

mntbiker said:
Never trust an email. Don't open attachments and always insure the site you went to is the site you really wanted.

If you really want to get scared google "DNS hijacking"

Precisiely but most people don't know or pay any attention to where their browsers go when they click a link. They automatically assume it's going to the right place when in fact it's most likely going to Guong Dong or some other Chinese location, though I've seen it get routed right through the U.S..

different paypal scam

different paypal scam

Hi I wanted to bump this because I got a phishing thing different than the usual ones I get.USually I get the ones that ask me to change my pasword or something like that, but I think this way is pretty sneaky, my first red flag was it was to "dear paypal member" iT supposedly comes from paypal about a purchase i just made, here is part of it I took the link out so noone would accidently click it.
I didn't click on it and passed to to spoof@paypal, but wanted to pass it on incase anyone else gets one
I did a quick search on lwp elctronics and quite a few things came up about frauds like this,
actually it kind of surprised me because i would have thought they would change the name and address from time to time just so it doesn't show up if you search, (what do i know lol) lyn

Dear PayPal Member,

This email confirms that you have paid LWP ELECTRONICS (was link here ) $274.99 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL LWPELECTRONICS*".

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL LWPELECTRONICS*".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PayPal Shopping Cart Contents

Item Name: BRAND NEW NOKIA 6600 CELL PHONE
Quantity: 1

Total: $274.99 USD

Cart Subtotal: $254.99 USD
Shipping Charge: $20.00 USD
Cart Total: $274.99 USD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shipping Information

Shipping Info: Bill Chang
202 N Magnolia Dr.
Saco, ME 04072
United States

Address Status: Unconfirmed

If you haven't authorized this charge, click the link below to Verify your Identity to cancel the payment and get a full refund.

Very sneaky. I had one supposedly from PayPal a few days ago, except it wasn't to the email address linked to my PayPal account! Yes, I forwarded it to PayPal who confirmed it was not from them.

One tip from payPal, they will always use your name in genuine emails, not 'dear member/customer'.

Latest posts

Back