Colonoscopy / Lovenox

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sten Osis

I'll be getting my first screening colonoscopy next week Friday and will be doing the "lovenox bridge". Any advice or caveats?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Had to bridge twice since my surgeries. Should be no issues for you, other than having to inject yourself twice a day while bridging.
When you come off it, as you go back to building up your INR on your Warfarin, you may want to monitor it more frequently, if you home test, no big deal, otherwise, your doctor and lab should be on top of it with you.

Also, if you do home test, there are some units that do not give correct readings with Lovenox. I believe that the only home testing unit that does is Coaguchek. You should do a search on the site, there were many posts in the past regarding this.

The Lovenox will cause minor bruising in the area of the injections. Just be sure to pinch an inch in the proper area, and inject in the fold of the pinch. Keep in mind that you will be injecting in the same general area, so map out your injection pattern in your mind prior to beginning, I think this made it easier for myself.

Good luck, and as I mentioned, it was no big deal for me, other than having to inject myself,(don't like needles-what can I say,)

Rob

I carry extra belly fat just for this very reason. Sure, I could be lean and ripped and have six pack abs - but then my lovenox injections would be so much more difficult. No sir. Pass the donuts please! I've got a procedure coming up!

I've had to bridge twice, and it really wasn't an issue. The needle is tiny and super thin. Doesn't really hurt, but you do get little dots at the injection site. Getting your INR back is fairly easy in my experience for minor procedures. For my second OHS, it was more challenging.

I've had to do it four times. The worst part was the psychological hurdle of injecting myself the first time. After you've done it a few times it's no big deal. In line with Rob's suggestion, I alternate sides when I do the injections to spread out any potential bruising.
Good luck, hope all goes well.
Mark

Due to colon problems, I've had my share, but full ones and sigmoidoscopies. Colonosopies are a piece of cake other than the inconvenience. Worst part is the preparation and giving up a day of work. Per the preparation, make sure you do it as directed. If you don't, there may still be fecal matter in your colon to obstruct the colonscope and it will need to be repeated. My coworker made that mistake.

You might even get pictures...it's a different perspective on your body :)

If it is your first screening, why do you have to bridge with Lovenox? From what I've read and been told by my colorectal surgeon (young guy), if you are on warfarin, bridging is only needed if they expect to remove some polyps or take biopsies, otherwise you can be on warfarin for a colonoscopy.

If you have to bridge, are they requiring you to premedicate with antibiotics as well?

I'm bridging in case there is a polyp, so I won't have to go through all the prep again. My cardiologist requires antibiotics for any such procedure.

I gave myself the first dose last night after stopping warfarin on Sunday. The last dose of that was Saturday evening.. I tested first, out of curiosity, and my INR was 2.2. I'll likely test again on Thursday.

Latest posts

Back