Colin is in ICU

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarbJean

We live upstate New York, outside of Albany, in La
Hi to all my friends. Colin is now in ICU. The surgeon felt it went well: no blood needed, no abnormal rhythms, no pacemaker needed, valve was repaired, tissue was not too bad, a small hole in his heart was repaired. Went in to see him a couple of minutes ago but he is in lala land. He had started to wake up but they wanted him to stay asleep longer. Hopefully, the vent will be out when he wakes up. The strange thing, but fortunate really, is that until this surgery he was feeling just fine. But, I know we are at less risk for a dissection and that is worth it all!!! Hugs to all of you, Barb

What good news. So happy to hear Colin is safely over the mountain and will begin his recovery. Hope he has an uneventful, bump free recovery.
Thanks for sharing with us.

Great news thanks for the update. Now remember you have to rest when he does so you aren't worn out by the time you both get home and you are busier.

Last edited:
Sounds good!

I had to deal with the fact that I felt absolutely fine prior to the surgery as well. We should all be so lucky. Even though I felt impaired after surgery for several months compared to before, I am now past that, but it does naturally raise a concern. At times I wasn't sure if I was going to feel better than before or even as good. Reassure Colin, if he has that concern. It just takes time and rehab. And the important thing is that he has been saved from a worse possible fate with the enlarged aorta among other things.

I hope his recovery is uneventful.

Bill

Thanks, everyone. Just went into ICU and he was awake. The vent is still in and it looked uncomfortable for him. He said he is not in pain though. It did make me feel a bit faint to see all the apparatus and the tube doing the breathing. Hopefully, when we go in next, it will be out and he can talk.

I am so happy to hear he did well :) If it makes you feel any better about the breathing tube, I remember it didn't hurt at all, just was uncomfortable. Like when you are at the dentist, and you have to hold your mouth open the whole time, and it's dry and they are sticking things in your mouth...that's what it felt like to me.

Sounds like me, until the surgery I felt just fine! Didn't want to risk the dissection either though. Thanks for keeping us so updated!

Back