Cold weather

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krosson62

To replace my mitral valve I had open heart surgery and a metal plate was used to reinforce my breast plate. What I need to know is does the cold weather cause any one pain in that area? For me it's like the cold finger of death touching my scar area. Sometimes it hurts so bad I cry. It usually takes about an hour or so to stop hurting.

For me it's like the cold finger of death touching my scar area. Sometimes it hurts so bad I cry.
sorry to hear that, did you have those "Talons" installed?

with the wires I've never had a problem even in Finland in less than -25C
(and yes I've even skied with my shirt off)

Hi.

I hope time heals that pain you get with cold weather.

I didn’t have any metal plates put in, but I have noticed that since the surgery I get deep aching pains in my bones with cold weather. I wondered if it was from them sawing through a rib & the sternum to get to the heart.

I often use a heated corn bag (or you could make one with uncooked rice in a long sock, & just tie up the end) for the pain & it sometimes helps.

It’s funny, I never gave a thought to all the ‘extra’ damage my body would receive as a sort of byproduct of having valve replacement surgery - Keloid scars on (& pain in) chest tube hole scars; chronic neck & back pain issues; the bone pain...

On the other hand, now we can be grateful on days with no pain. And dream of / plan on moving to a warmer climate. ; )

I haven't had any pain with the cold, but I don't have a plate as you do.

For years I have used the same DIY heating pad which Amy describes: "corn in a sock". It works great. 2 minutes in the microwave and it is remarkable how long it holds the heat. You might give it a try.

Thank you all so much for the concern and the heated rice idea. I will try it next time. Once again thank you.

2 minutes in the microwave and it is remarkable how long it holds the heat. You might give it a try
this has become comon here, but amusingly (well not really amysing if its you) during our recent "mice plague" out here heaps of people were getting their wheat / rice / corn filled socks plundered by the mice ... sometimes when they were in bed

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2021-08-17/mouse-plague-fears-in-central-queensland/100376138
oh, and explode they did (even the spiders and snakes were saying enough)
"I'm full"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back