cold hands and feet?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barron6565

Hey everyone, I'm 5 weeks post op now and feeling a little better everyday. I've said in other posts that ive been symtpomatic for about 3 years before I got this done. I was just wondering if anyone else post op gets cold hands and feet if they move around to much? I think this is an issue with circulation. Also, has anyone else still had issues with water retention a month or so after surgery that has resolved itself further down the recovery road. And finally anyone had a reduced ejection fraction, mine was 45% immediatley after surgery, and has gone up? My doctor keeps telling me I have a perfectly funtioning heart now but it doesn't feel that way. I'd appreciate any responses. Thank you

My EF was a bit worse than yours post-op and I had 10 lbs of extra fluid. The fluid was removed with the help of Lasix over the first couple of weeks. And my EF improved along with my exercise tolerance over the first 3-6 months. Cold intolerance is fairly common, but developing cold extremeties with exercise is something I would want to understand better. If your heart is fine I'd want the doctor to explain the continued fluid accumulation and cold extremeties.

Thank you for the link post, Greg. But my whole body does not get cold, I am mostly warm. It only happens if I start to move around to much. I will start to feel my hands and feet starting to get cold and lose color. I also dont think that I could be classified as a perfectly functioning heart if I still have symptoms and my ef before and immediately after surgery was 45%. From what I've read 55% to 70 is within normal limits.

I agree about the EF. Mine was 65% a year pre-op, 55% immediately pre-op, 39% 3 days post-op (a little unexpectedly low) and was back to 55% 1 year post-op and is 60% now.

Back