CoaugCheck vs Coaugusence

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

krosson62

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Have been using Coaugusence to monitor my INR for a little over a year but because of they're use and cost practices I recently bought a Coaguchek online also bought box of 6 test strips can anyone please explain to me how to get the blood on the strips the dvd that came with it is very vague have wasted 3 strips decided to go to the pros.

MdaPA

can anyone please explain to me how to get the blood on the strips
Fast forward to minute 6:58 and see if that helps. You can also try pellicle's tip of using a rubber band as a tourniquet.

RAS

can anyone please explain to me how to get the blood on the strips

I drop it directly on the "well" - that half circle area in the middle of the strip. Always works. Never used the technique they show in the video where the blood is drawn in from the edge of the strip.

On the rare occasions I have been tested at a clinic, they would pick up the device and swipe the strip across my finger. That always worked, but I have never tried it myself.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat
Hi
Have been using Coaugusence to monitor my INR for a little over a year but because of they're use and cost practices I recently bought a Coaguchek online also bought box of 6 test strips can anyone please explain to me how to get the blood on the strips the dvd that came with it is very vague have wasted 3 strips decided to go to the pros.

try my method

I find that in winter I get the best results by
  1. have a shower (so you're warm)
  2. find a place in the bathroom (so you stay warm) to put the device on a ledge that's a convenient height to work >standing<
  3. prepare everything (lance, rubber band) and then activate the machine
  4. stand calmly with your arms by your side
  5. at the alert to apply, raise your hands, wrap the finger, lance >on the side< and voilla ... blood will often even squirt out.
a dry run or two won't hurt. The struggle is real

Best Wishes

Protimenow

If you have the Coag-Sense, just use one of the transfer tubes to draw your blood into the tube, then transfer it onto the CoaguChek strip in the same way you would transfer blood onto the Coag-Sense strip. This ALWAYS works.

The CoaguChek isn't all that difficult, either. For me, I lance my finger, make sure that there's a big enough drop of blood, then touch the side of my finger to the side of the strip - AND HOLD IT THERE for a few seconds. If it's given enough time to draw the blood into the chamber where the actual test is done, you should be okay.

Personally, I've written many times that I'm still not sure exactly WHICH meter to trust. But, with either meter, an INR above 2 or 2.5 should be okay. Even if the CoaguChek gives a value close to 4.0, whether or not IT's right, living with an INR at 4.0 isn't that big a deal.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat
I'm still not sure exactly WHICH meter to trust. But, with either meter, an INR above 2 or 2.5 should be okay. Even if the CoaguChek gives a value close to 4.0, whether or not IT's right, living with an INR at 4.0 isn't that big a deal.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
is the bottom line of clinical practice

krosson62

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi

try my method

I find that in winter I get the best results by
  1. have a shower (so you're warm)
  2. find a place in the bathroom (so you stay warm) to put the device on a ledge that's a convenient height to work >standing<
  3. prepare everything (lance, rubber band) and then activate the machine
  4. stand calmly with your arms by your side
  5. at the alert to apply, raise your hands, wrap the finger, lance >on the side< and voilla ... blood will often even squirt out.
a dry run or two won't hurt. The struggle is real

Best Wishes

Thanks so much for the needed advice. The dvd that came with the device is very vague. I'll give your method a try.

Protimenow

I'm sure that by now, you're an expert at getting a good test every time you use the XS.

Like you, I also have problems with the Coagusense company, and with supplies for the meter. Like you, I also use the XS more often.
My INR values when taken with the Coag-Sense are as much as 1.0 below the XS results.

While I'm still not comfortable with which is right, I've written before (and forgot about) that even if the Coag-Sense gives me a result that's lower than the actual INR, I KNOW that if it reports an INR at or close to 2.0, I should slightly increase my dose. I would rather have a meter tell me that my INR is 2.0, and have an actual INR of 2.5 than have a meter (the XS) tell me that my INR is 2.5 when it's actually 1.9.

I'll still probably alternate between meters.

Latest posts