Coarctation of Aorta and Bicuspid Aortic Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prachi A

Hi, I am Prachi from India. Glad I found this wonderful website while scrolling. My son who is born on 25th Jan,2020 was diagnosed with CoA and BAV. He got operated for CoA on the 6th day when he was born. I had few queries, I hope ppl here can help.
- What are the chances for recoarctation if coarctation is repaired in infancy and until what age can it reoccur? ( thoracotomy surgical procedure was used )
- Is BAV surgery needed or not at any point of time? Are there more chances for BAV surgery if person had CoA?
- Brain Aneurysm. Even after CoA repaired at such an early stage, shall this be an area of concern?
-Is he going to be a regular kid or a heart baby is a forever kind of thing

Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks!!

I don't know any answers, but with just BAV he could go for years before he needs an operation, or never. Many people don't need it fixed until middle aged and some may never need it fixed.

No such thing as a "regular kid" :) Just like "normal" is just a setting on the washing machine. I am sure he will bring joy to you and experience joy if you keep your hearts open and love him.

There are others with children and heart problems, you may need to find them through a targeted search of the site.

He brings so much joy to our lives, but it kind ofmakes me sad that he has been thru so much at such a tender age

Hi, I am Prachi from India. Glad I found this wonderful website while scrolling. My son who is born on 25th Jan,2020 was diagnosed with CoA and BAV. He got operated for CoA on the 6th day when he was born. I had few queries, I hope ppl here can help.
- What are the chances for recoarctation if coarctation is repaired in infancy and until what age can it reoccur? ( thoracotomy surgical procedure was used )
- Is BAV surgery needed or not at any point of time? Are there more chances for BAV surgery if person had CoA?
- Brain Aneurysm. Even after CoA repaired at such an early stage, shall this be an area of concern?
-Is he going to be a regular kid or a heart baby is a forever kind of thing

Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks!!
Hi Prachi,
I had CoA 54 years ago and AVR november 2007 and living life to the full, with my wife and daughter. I am sure he will have a long and wonderful life. My coartation was still perfect in 2007 when they replaced my valve.

Latest posts

Back