Coagulation device

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tina23

I'm currently looking for a coagulation device for my client. He is suffering under AFib but is not on anti-coagulant therapy. He just wants to know the status of his blood. Does anyone know if the devices on the market measure the blood without being on e.g. Warfarin? CoaguChek for example says that you need to be on anti-coagulant therapy. But other producers and websites say there is no need. Now I'm a bit confused. Could anyone help out please? And would you recommend any device which can be used without taking an anti-coagulant? Thank you so much!

Greetings,
Tina

He is suffering under AFib but is not on anti-coagulant therapy. He just wants to know the status of his blood.
What do you mean by "status of his blood"? If you mean his INR, it should then be normal (around 1.0).

Perhaps you meant some other blood test to determine what may be causing his AFib (e.g. a thyroid issue) or if he has a clot/thrombosis? If so, have him check with this Dr. re: the specific blood test.

Does anyone know if the devices on the market measure the blood without being on e.g. Warfarin? CoaguChek for example says that you need to be on anti-coagulant therapy.
Devices like CoaguChek XS allow patients who take an anti-coagulation medicine like warfarin to routinely self-monitor their INR which saves trips to the lab. They then adjust their dosage based on the reported INR level. If not on anti-coagulation medicine and/or measuring INR then it's pointless to get one of these devices.

CoaguChek for example says that you need to be on anti-coagulant therapy. But other producers and websites say there is no need.
Other producers looking to make a sale?

Hi
I'm currently looking for a coagulation device for my client. He is suffering under AFib but is not on anti-coagulant therapy.

what anticoagulation is he on? If he's not on a warfarin derivative then pretty much no AC device (which measures the level of coagulation) will work.

Say, Clopidogrel or Dabigatran (and associated product names) there is no product which will suit.

He just wants to know the status of his blood.

why? Is he self dosing or self administering? If so he should look at self testing and working with a clinic. How is his intellectual functions?

Does anyone know if the devices on the market measure the blood without being on e.g. Warfarin?

its this point which sparked my above question. Its key to the equation

CoaguChek for example says that you need to be on anti-coagulant therapy.

you need to know more about your stuff here. There is anit-platelet and anti-coagulant therapy ... within anti-coagulant there are two patways for achieving this effect

1614809410890.png

to my knowledge there is no product which will work with Xa and IIa pathways.

Now I'm a bit confused. Could anyone help out please? And would you recommend any device which can be used without taking an anti-coagulant?

so hopefully I've cleared up why there is not just "one" anticoagulant.

If he's not on warfarin you are SOL.

What do you mean by "status of his blood"? If you mean his INR, it should then be normal (around 1.0).

Perhaps you meant some other blood test to determine what may be causing his AFib (e.g. a thyroid issue) or if he has a clot/thrombosis? If so, have him check with this Dr. re: the specific blood test.

Devices like CoaguChek XS allow patients who take an anti-coagulation medicine like warfarin to routinely self-monitor their INR which saves trips to the lab. They then adjust their dosage based on the reported INR level. If not on anti-coagulation medicine and/or measuring INR then it's pointless to get one of these devices.

Other producers looking to make a sale?

Thank you! I'm aware of all this. I does not matter if it seems to be pointless testing his INR without taking Warfarin. He likes to test it with a home test and I would like to know if those devices work without taking Warfarin. Do you have experience with it? Thanks

Thank you! I'm aware of all this. I does not matter if it seems to be pointless testing his INR without taking Warfarin. He likes to test it with a home test and I would like to know if those devices work without taking Warfarin. Do you have experience with it? Thanks

In the past, I have checked my wife's INR (she is not on warfarin) to validate the accuracy of my meter. She always tested about 1.0 which is normal INR.....so I guess he could do it.......but what would it prove??

I had bought the device before the surgery and I did tests to learn how to use it, the measurement before the surgery showed INR 1.1.

Your client? Are you treating a hypochondriac and trying to placate them until you can address whatever the real issues are? Their money I suppose. I’ve heard you can find machines and strips on EBay if they must have a finger poke to feel better.

“The status of his blood” doesn’t cause Afib. Afib can lead to clotting and potentially strokes due to the irregular heart rhythm messing up circulation. If blood swirls or pools in the hearts chambers, clots can form. Think of an eddy in a stream where the water just doesn’t go anywhere.

. I’ve heard you can find machines and strips on EBay if they must have a finger poke to feel better.
I was going to suggest that, but I thought both @MdaPA and my descriptions would clear up it does nothing ... not that Tina bothered clarifying what drug her client was on.

Still, I'm here to help AVR patients ... this clearly isn't and she clearly isn't very friendly

and I would like to know if those devices work without taking Warfarin. Do you have experience with it?
I believe that I totally cleared this up here:
Hi
what anticoagulation is he on? If he's not on a warfarin derivative then pretty much no AC device (which measures the level of coagulation) will work.
You're welcome

You (or the client) may be confusing the idea of 'blood thinners' with viscosity - in other words, would 'thicker' blood cause his AFib?

This concept (if that's what he's thinking) is not valid: anticoagulants like warfarin don't have anything to do with the viscosity of the blood. The term came from a misunderstanding of how warfarin works. Warfarin causes blood to take longer to clot by interfering with Vitamin K, which mediates the clotting process. Again - nothing to do with the thickness or thinness of the blood - and the only thing it has to do with AFib is to help prevent clots from forming in the atria. In most cases, doctors prescribe anticoagulants other than Warfarin (and the meters don't show the effects of these drugs).

Getting a meter, and testing, would be a useless exercise.

In the past, I have checked my wife's INR (she is not on warfarin) to validate the accuracy of my meter. She always tested about 1.0 which is normal INR.....so I guess he could do it.......but what would it prove??
Finally an answer I can work with. Thank you! Could you please let me know which device you are using?

Which device did you use?
Most folks here who self-test use CoaguChek XS, INRange, and Coag-Sense devices. Note you will also need test strips, a lancing device, and lancets.

Can you tell us why your client wants to check his INR, using a portable device instead of going to the lab, when he's not on anti-coagulation therapy?

Finally an answer I can work with.
well Tina ... either you didn't read mine or you're unable to understand it ... why did I even bother with wasting my time. You thankless user (meaning parasite) of forums. The lowest of the low, come to a place with helpful people and demand answers, thank nobody for their time and fail to engage.

BTW - Dicks answer simply echoes everyone elses ...

are you blonde?

well Tina ... either you didn't read mine or you're unable to understand it ... why did I even bother with wasting my time. You thankless user (meaning parasite) of forums. The lowest of the low, come to a place with helpful people and demand answers, thank nobody for their time and fail to engage.

BTW - Dicks answer simply echoes everyone elses ...

are you blonde?
I did not answer your posts because of your energy. You seemed to be a bit out of balance. I feel attack by your posts ... it is your tone of voice. I'm sorry but I don't have time to waste to deal with this kind of energy. I'm grateful for your answers but maybe in future you want to address them in a kinder way? Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back