Coaguchek

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUVMyBirman

As many of you may be aware Roche stopped selling the Coaguchek to individuals. The concern I am up against is seeking reimbursement for my test strips. They will compensate at 70% but the catch is I cannot purchase them thorough Roche as they are not one of their 'providers'. The insurance company proceeded to give me a list of durable medical suppliers.. most of which sell hospital beds and other related supplies. Obviously that will not cut it. They compensated for my unit, but the stripS are the issue. I called an tried to explain that we are saving them bucks over the long haul. Each time I went for an in office test they are billed $90. One box of 15 strips is $90. A no brainer.

Question: does anyone purchase strips from another source? And if so please inform.

Thanks for your help,

Gina,

Are you saying when I do get the doctor to okay a home machine for me, I can't have a Coagucheck? That's what my doctor's nurse uses on me once a month. That's why I figured I'd have him write a prescription for that one. I don't see him until November for my six month checkup. What kind does everyone else have? Are you saying you won't be able to get the strips even though you have the machine? Now you have me wondering. I check and see what kind of strips they use at my doctors office. i go to the doctors office on Monday.

Lorraine

Hi,

Lorraine, the only unit that is available for home purchase now is the ProTime Unit. You can click onto Q.A. Services on the far right hand corner of your screen when you first enter the web site to view the product.

Gina, Maybe you can find a clinic that is using the Coaguchek, and see if you can purchase the supplies from them, and they could bill your insurance company. Just a thought...

Rob

ProTime Link

ProTime Link

Hi Lorraine,

At the top of this page - and every forum page, you can click on the ProTime link and go directly to Q.A. Services site who is the supplier for the ProTime machine. I'll be getting mine tomorrow and will posting my honest opinion of how it serves me.

I'm interested in any info on at home INR testing devices. My doctor says he hasn't found any that are reliable, so want input onthat. Also, approximately what is the cost. Ideally I'd like a portable one that I can take on trips.

Cost

Cost

Currently the only machine available in the United States is the ProTime Microcoagulation System. It retails for $1500.00 which includes training.

You can obtain more information by clicking here

As far as accuracy I think it would be safe to say that they are as safe if not safer than being tested at the lab.

Hey Hank

Have you taken your new machine for a spin yet? Bet that little cup caused a blink or two. Amazing how big that little cup seems bigger after a while.

People might want to know that the training is very good and interactive, but it is by phone. Sure would be nice to have a live and breathing person to hold one's hand the first few scary times. But then, that would drive up the cost. Having gone through more than 30 tests, we can say that it gets much easier. Last week we did two tests in a row, in 20 minutes, with no concern for the size of the cup. The main thing is to relax and realize that you can't hurt anything.

People might also want to know that the $1,500. cost is for those who have insurance. We didn't. Medicare does not cover the machine or the supplies. QAS gave use a BIG discount. They are superior in helping people who must pay for the machine themselves. We barely made it with their generous discount. I wish there was some way we could get more insurance companies and especially Medicate to contribute to the cost.

HCFA is still sitting on their duffs making a decision as to whether Medicare will cover home monitoring. The deadlines have come and gone. The "current" deadline is July 9, updated to that date in late June. The "previous" deadline was May 11, etc. etc. They claim the issues are "complicated". I don't know if they ever take into account the reality, rather than the coverage issues, of various forms of office testing. In my area, Annapolis, it's not possible for me to find a "firm" to monitor INRs, either inhouse or by sending people to Quest for blood draws.

My home monitor from QAS is well worth its cost even without the insurance, especially after I had a small stroke and went blind driving on the interstate in heavy traffic, later to learn that my INR too low, but as usual had not been reported to me by the "doctor's" office. Never again will I depend upon inadequate medical care.

Swamp them with facts and pester them with phone calls!! :)

Swamp them with facts and pester them with phone calls!! :)

Gina,

I had this same problem. The trick is proving to your insurance co. that Roche is the ONLY provider. It took a lot of paperwork and a lot of phone calls, but I did finally convince my insurance people this was the case. (It wasn?t easy!) But was worth it, they? re paying 90%!

Rain
In Colorado

Yes I have Blanche

Yes I have Blanche

I have used my machine and I love it. I am going to take to my next Dr. appt and convince her that I know what I am doing then I will give her reports and be on my own. Just like Dick is doing.

We should get together and compare machines and results sometime.

Coagucheck

Coagucheck

I have been using a Coagucheck machine for nearly two years. I have still not been reiumbursed through insurance, they are arguing. They also have not paid for any of the strips!! However, the home testing route is the only way to go, in my opinion. If its a Friday, and my gums bleed a little too much or Im bruising tooo easily, I test. My results are immediate. I got tired of being tested at the Docs on Monday and getting results by Friday. Heck, I could have bled to death by then!!

As far as reimbursement, you must prove to your carrier that Roche is the only supplier!!! Your Doc has to document for you. They tell me this will work. Will see.

Self testing is the only way to stay safe! If I would have listened to my previous doctor, I would have landed back in the hospital for sure. He had me on such crazy dosages, and he couldn't stand it if I questioned him about that. At the end when I still had to have him I just let them say what they wanted to say, but I did what I wanted. They never knew the difference.
I am now only home testing and have been on my own for two weeks, and am doing better with the results. My INR Friday was 3.4 and today it was 3. That's exactly where I want to be!
I do need to get another doctor and am in the process of getting one, so keep your fingers crossed for me and hope that this one has better "bedside" manners that the previous one., and also hope he's for home testing with the Protime machine.

Christina
Mechanical St. Jude's 8/7/2000 & 8/18/2000
Coumadin

Back