Coaguchek XS error code #4..?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShezaGirlie

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Before I have the drop of blood on the test strip, I get the following error code #4 which says:

Error 4: "Test Strip Unusable Often caused by applying the drop of blood before the countdown has begun. Retest making sure you wait for the 180 second countdown before pricking the finger and applying the drop of blood."

Has anyone gotten this error code before and what did you do? I have been home testing with a CoaguChek (currently 3rd one) since December 1999 and this is the first time I've gotten any error code. I did purchase a new box of strips and got the same error code, so it's not the strips! Before I purchase a new machine, I'd appreciate your thoughts...Thanks!

I think I might have had error 4 once and I removed the small clip in panel at the front where you slide the strips in and I cleaned it with a cotton bud,, I think it was @pellicle that helped me with that one,
for what its worth it does sound like a meter issue especially if you have the same thing with 2 different batches of strips.

Hey
think I might have had error 4 once and I removed the small clip in panel at the front where you slide the strips in and I cleaned it with a cotton bud,, I think it was @pellicle that helped me with that one

dunno ... can't recall the specifics of that.

As @ShezaGirlie quotes that's what the manual says it is.
My vote would be:
  • don't discard the strip yet
  • make sure you have the right code chip installed for the strips
  • make sure that the area inside is clean (as @Warrick suggested)
  • remove batteries and try again
from the manual
1622023586521.png

let us know how you go

I would only add to replace with good quality new batteries

Even though the battery icon may not be showing its worth replacing

I had the error8 code and the battery changed worked

Thanks to all you genius folks! I did change the batteries, but still got code #4, so I bought a new machine before reading the recommendations of cleaning the machine....oops! I’ll just keep the new one - works perfectly - and try to clean the old one.

I had this error code for the first time today. I put in another strip and got the same error code. I tossed both strips just in case. I followed the cleaning instruction on page 34 of the manual to clean the test strip guide.

Per the instructions, I removed the cover of the test strip guide and cleaned the accessible areas with a cotton swab moist with rubbing alcohol, then allowed to dry for 10 minutes before replacing the test strip cover.

I put in a new strip and it worked fine. 2.3, which is about what I expected as my last reading was 2.2 and I have since upped my dose of warfarin slightly.

I would of been interested to know if the original strips would have still created the error code after the cleaning and successful INR reading .

was it the machine or strips ?

we will never know Chuck 🤣

was it the machine or strips ?

we will never know Chuck

It will forever be a mystery. 🤣

It ended up being an expensive test day- normally $ 6 for the test, but today cost me 3 x $6 = $18.

I could have tried the strips again, but here was my dilemma. After cleaning the strip guide, you are supposed to wait at least 10 minutes for it to dry completely. But, you are not supposed to wait more than 10 minutes to use the strip after it has been taken out of the strip container. So, I tossed them both, since they had been out for about 15 minutes by the time I was ready to test again. Would they still have worked? I'd guess yes, but I really wanted to be sure I had an accurate reading, as I had a small cut on my leg that bled longer than I would have expected and wanted to be sure that my INR was not high. Just 2.3, so all good.

Latest posts

Back