Coaguchek Vantus

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

The company Roche just sent me a new Coaguchek machine, it's a newer version, but I'm not sure if I like the new features .
I believe it sends your results via Bluetooth to Roche , then the results are passed along to your clinic or doctors office. Roche gets paid from the insurance company for being the middle man.
At my Coumadin clinic , if my INR is .1 too high or too low, I have to report to the clinic in person, which is an hour drive from my house ,each way. I'm then monitored until I'm in the acceptable range.
On my old machine, if I was .1 or .2 out of the target range, I would know how to correct the problem myself. Within a couple of days I'd be back in range. I would then report the results to the clinic via telephone , and every reported result was in range.

Hi
yes, I saw that when it was released. As bluetooth is a very short range wireless connection it must then also need something to connect the machine to the internet (such as your phone or PC). Reading the manual for it suggests that's the case.

With respect to the reporting, I'd suggest that you could "get around this" by having your cardiologist or doctor define a broader range (say, 2.0 <> 3.5) , or negotiate contact with your provider to contact them by phone rather than personal visits.

I saw the bluetooth (and USB) connectivity as something for institutions where they would use the same machine across a few patients and it would simplifiy and automate the data transfer of INR to a centralised recording system. (which assume will be yet another piece-meal POS that nurses have to cope with)

PS just downloaded and read the manual. Page 64 says:

The CoaguChek Vantus meter can
communicate with a computer and/or other
devices either via USB or a wireless Bluetooth
connection. You can use this feature for the
following purposes:
  • further evaluation of stored test results in suitable computer applications
  • data archiving
The preferred method (USB/Bluetooth) used
for data transfer has to be selected in the
meter settings before transferring data for
the first time. Otherwise, a corresponding
message will be displayed.

Myself I see this as a positive because one of the reasons I have not developed my INR application is that I mistrust the users to correctly enter their data (either outright fudging it or being dingbats making mistakes) and then saying "its my fault" as the developer.

This gets around that sort of BS

PPS: actually reading more it uses itself as USB storage and has a simple WWW type (ajax driven no doubt) interface for presenting your data.

I see nothing (yet) where it can communicate (via what methods?) with Roche or anyone else (unless it contains a SIM or some other SubSpace communications device which Kirk and crew have used for years now)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, I'll have a look when I'm home.
Even if I don't open it, I'll have it for a backup in case the other one breaks.

Jimmyk;n884787 said:
Thanks a lot, I'll have a look when I'm home.
Even if I don't open it, I'll have it for a backup in case the other one breaks.

you're welcome
myself I see the graphing function as being handy (especially if you're not doing that in SpreadSheets yourself), the historical record is essential (if you aren't writing it down you may lose that on the original one), and if my meter is anything to go by its:
  • has been used at least weekly since 2013
  • traveled between Finland and Australia at least 4 times
  • gone on trips to other places (Czech, UK, Sweden ...)
so they're robust (always tickles me when I read of the hesitations on buying a used one, mine's VERY used and is no less reliable)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back