CoaguChek INRange monitor impressions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astro

Yesterday my new CoaguChek INRange arrived so I would like to share my first impressions of this machine.

Over the last couple months (since my surgery) I have been using a CoaguChek XS machine. The CoaguChek INRange is the newer version from Roche. Here are my initial observations/impressions:

1) It is a similar sized machine. Slightly different shape. Similar colors.

2) Color screen!

3) It still uses the same test strips

4) Very easy to view past measurements. It also can display simple graphs and statistics.

5) Same soft black case as the CoaguChek XS.

6) It came with CoaguChek softclix lancets. The needle part is placed into a pen shaped device. Easy to use (once you figure out how). Probably hurt slightly less than the other brand that I have been using.

7) I liked the first reading: 2.6 (middle of my target range)!!

I can't really comment about its accuracy (I have made no comparisons) but it appears to be based upon the same technology as the CoaguChek XS but in a nicer, more modern box.

Thanks for posting.

My older model is also easy to view older readings, just press M and then keep pressing it to view each previous reading.

I think its a nice upgrade though, but I wish it came with a way to sync to my PC simply

The INRange comes with a micro USB cable. Wifi/Bluetooth would be the next step so it could connect to a phone app.

The INRange comes with a micro USB cable. Wifi/Bluetooth would be the next step so it could connect to a phone app.
Have you tried plugging it into anything?

I understood that it was also bluetooth enabled ... perhaps its only an option. I also understood that there was available software for use with it, to enable nursing staff to make readings, enter a patient ID and then download that when they got back (saving transcription errors). Its something I'd like to find out more about myself.

I have had a quick play. The USB cable can be used for firmware updates with a PC. I tried transferring data via the USB cable but it appears that special software is required. I presume that Bluetooth transfer would also require the correct software. All I could find with Google was:
"For more information about compatible software for data transfer with the CoaguChek INRange meter please contact your local Roche Diagnostics customer"

It sounds like you're using a lancing device that uses 21 gauge lancets. I stopped using those years ago, when I 'discovered' the single use, preloaded lancing devices. Most have worked well for me - no loading needed, no extra handling (inserting, removing lancets), and pretty easy to use. Personally, I prefer these over the 'pen' style.

In fact, before discovering the pre-loaded devices, I bought a supply of 21 gauge lancets (amazingly inexpensive, on eBay - something like 1000 for $10, or something). I'm about to throw them away because the single use devices seem to be much better for me.

My impression of the issue of software is that you probably get software to load onto it from your clinic or physician - it'll transfer results to the doctor or clinic, it may remind you when it's time to take a test, and may provide some historical information.

The pen style does involve more steps with a risk of giving yourself a second jab when removing the sharp. It requires a proper release mechanism for the sharp.

It would be nice if they included some software to allow people who self manage to easily extract their data. A simple csv (text) file would be ideal to then import into Excel. I hope that an appropriate Medtronic person happens to read this post.

Overall, I am very happy with my CoaguChek device. It transforms warfarin treatment from a serious nuisance (particularly for people working full-time) to very convenient.

I got a cheap blood glucose monitoring system a few months ago because I was curious about some symptoms I was having. Fortunately (for me) there was no need to worry.

This inexpensive device came with a lancing 'pen' that took standard lancets. It had an eject mechanism, for discarding the used lancets. I haven't used it much, but I suspect that it'll also work with 21 gauge lancets and could be used for INR testing. Sometimes these glucose test systems are sold for practically nothing because the real profit is in the strips. You may be able to get a whole system (in order to get the pen) for less money than the pen device costs.

I have hundreds of 21 gauge lancets - expired - but what can go wrong with a lancet?, that I'm not using (if anyone wants them, just pay for shipping). As noted in a previous message, I'm happy with the single use lancing devices.

I'll take the lancets; hate to see them wasted, and I'm paying $10 for 50 of them as it is. I've been using the lancing device that came with my Coaguchek for a couple of years now, and I've gotten to prefer it over the single use ones I used up to that time. I keep a sharps container in the bathroom drawer with my test kit, and eject the used sharp directly into it. Super easy and it takes forever to fill the container; I doubt I will live long enough to do it! The single use ones filled it up pretty quickly by comparison. So sure, send em on up! I'll on you my address.

Interesting the price comparison between UK and US: here a box of 50 Lancets for the pen device that come with the meter is £2 ($2.50?) including postage. This is directly from Roche. I assume that they make their main money on the test strips.

Yes, Andy. It's the old razors and blades thing. Years ago, I called Bayer (which makes blood glucose monitoring machines (actually, a different company that licensed their name) and had a question about their pen and they sent me a new incision device and some lancets that I couldn't uwe for anticoagulation testing.

I haven't shopped for lancets for years - years ago they were about 5 cents each - it's hard to find 21 gauge lancets, so the prices are probably pretty high.

I'll be sending the lancets to Gerrychuck, happy that they'll be getting good use.

My new Coag-Sense monitor - released about 11 months ago - has WiFi, an Ethernet port, bluetooth, and USB. It also has NFC for scanning each new box of strips. It supports management software (used at clinics?) that probably has to be installed by the appropriate doctor or clinic.

The meter uses WiFi to do automatic firmware updates. I wouldn't be surprised if your InRange has untapped capabilities.

I haven't either. Maybe some clinics will -- but they make more money by forcing patients to come in for testing than they would for getting results automatically transferred by home testers.

The Coag-Sense also has features that support remote updates, and, I assume, remote reporting. For really busy clinics, it also can record things like patient barcodes, barcodes of the clinician running the test, and can store up to 2000 results -- perhaps a really busy clinic would be able to take advantage of these features. I may be stuck trying a clinic (more out of curiosity than need) and I'll see if a) they use a meter (probably CoaguChek XS or XS Pro, possibly Hemochron, possibly Coag-Sense), if they actually use the software that connects the meter to some kind of tracking/management system, and what kind of dosage advice they give. Perhaps I'll even ask about getting a new meter and strips (I need strips, but probably not the meter).

I'll report back if I'm stuck going to an anticoagulation clinic -- I'll probably change primary care physician after I learn more about the clinic program.

FWIW - for people in the United States, I'm not entirely certain that the InRange is supposed to be available here -- although there's no good reason why it shouldn't (other than the possibility that Roche has made too many of the XS, and the InRange will probably kill sales of these last generation meters).

Latest posts

Back