CoaguChek Error 8?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeskillet

The last three times I have tested my initial attempt beeps and reads Error 8. I turn the meter off & turn back on & reinsert strip—and all is well.

I looked at a CoaguChek PDF online, but wasn’t really informed of what a potential problem would be.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so, what remedied the problem?

Oh, incidentally, last week my clinic INR tested at 4.5. I was stunned and had no response as to why. They told me to hold one night’s dose & resume w. regular dosing the next day.

Being the skeptic that I am I went home & tested on my home CoaguChek meter which registered at 3.5. Still confused I then tested on my Coag-Sense meter—which read 3.4. I chalked it up to a phlebotomist error & remained w. my current dosage. I am only posting this to say how grateful I am for this forum inasmuch as it was the posters on here that really pushed me to acquire my own meters (e.g., Protimenow & Pellicle). It has saved my bacon several times now.

Any input concerning the Error 8 issue w. my CoaguChek would be greatly appreciated!

yep 99% chance it just needs new batteries, the low battery indicator doesn't need to be flashing either.

I agree about the Error 8 - it's probably a battery issue. If a charger came with your meter, you may try it and bypass batteries altogether.

As far as lab results being wrong - welcome to the club. I've had many erroneous lab results over the years and trust my meter over the lab results. Your experience seems to bear this out.

I think I got that error. I called Roche and even though the battery indicator said it was all systems go, they walked me through a few things and then said try new batteries of the same kind that came with the meter. If new batteries didn't work they would replace it. All new batteries fixed it.

Ok—great. I did wonder about the batteries, but not experienced enough to know for sure. Will take care of this ASAP.

Sheenas7—I bought my meters separately from any services. It was approx. $1,800 for the meter & only a handful of strips w. the actual services. I bought a meter and 48 strips on eBay for 1/4 of that price. Has worked so far. Hope this helps. If not you can always ask this forum for info.

My surgeon (who trained at Cleveland Clinic) told me out of his own mouth that these folks probably know more about anti-coagulation than he himself does. What I personally like about this forum is the emphasis on all things academic when it comes to heart issues. And, you can almost always have a good answer for your dilemma in a day or 2 at the very latest. I really wish we could somehow have an annual meeting somewhere for all members.

Thank you once again gang👍.

Sheena - I can't give you good advice because I don't know the prices of the services or the out of pocket fees that you'll to pay. What kind of testing may matter -- if it's a weekly blood draw, this can become a big problem because each draw damages your veins. If your blood draw is less frequent, you may want to find a different service. You'll probably want to factor in the distance to the facility, any parking fees that you'll have to pay, and the time that you'll be tied up traveling back and forth to the clinic. One new wrinkle - you may not be able to go out - if you're one of us who has to self-isolate during this pandemic.

For myself, I own my meters. I buy my test strips and associated supplies. I self-test weekly and manage my INR. This doesn't cost a lot. If you can find a clinic that provides you with a meter, and that Medicare picks up all the costs for, this may be a good alternative to owning your meter and buying your strips.

For me, though, having the ability to control my testing and dosing works well.

Did you buy machines or a service? Deciding what to do.
waiting for a recommendation from cardiologist’s office . They were supposed to call today and did not.

My provider is Edgepark, I called Roche per the instructions in the book that came with the meter. My meter is through the insurance company. It is provided for free by Edgepark but I pay Edgepark for the strips.

It's been a while since I've looked at my XS. They probably don't have a charger input. I had an XS Plus (or was it a pro?) that did have a charger port - but the thing failed on me - whether I was running off a charger, or off new batteries, Ikept getting errors.

I don't know about charger ports for the Vantus or InRange. If the XS doesn't have one, it's likely that the new ones don't either.

Latest posts

Back