Coag-Sense versus CoaguChek xs and labs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Athens
Are they saying our home testing is inaccurate?
That the results are higher than they should It
Sory my english is not so good I hope some to read it understand better the details , I understand that monitoring coagucheck xs gives good results the said "Accuracy was superior with the CoaguChek XS Plus device." The other machine from ABBOTT is a professional machine ant the cost is 6500 $. Of course the abbott use it for other blood tests . Today I tasted my XS roche with lab. 2,7 gave me the lab and 2.9 gave XS so I am calm with my machine .

Sory my english is not so good I hope some to read it understand better the details , I understand that monitoring coagucheck xs gives good results the said "Accuracy was superior with the CoaguChek XS Plus device." The other machine from ABBOTT is a professional machine ant the cost is 6500 $. Of course the abbott use it for other blood tests . Today I tasted my XS roche with lab. 2,7 gave me the lab and 2.9 gave XS so I am calm with my machine .
I did the same thing last week and they were pretty close too. Lab was 2.9 and XS Roche was 3.3.
I think it means the lab is slightly less.

Today I check the my coaquchek xs with lab . Lab give me 2.6 and coaqucheck xa 2.9 (diferent 15%) the measurement was done with different half an hour.
What is yours opinion ?

[QUOTE = "dick0236, ανάρτηση: 899681, μέλος: 3372"]
Η διαφορά 0,3 δεν με ανησυχεί. Υποθέτω ότι το εύρος INR σας είναι 2-3 ή 2,5-3,5 και κάθε δοκιμή βρίσκεται εντός εύρους.
[/ΠΑΡΑΘΕΤΩ, ΑΝΑΦΟΡΑ]
2.5-3.0 είναι ο στόχος

I can't read your language but I believe your INR range is 2.5-3.0. That's only a .5 spread and, if you are like me, you will find it difficult to stay in that tight of a range. IMO, that's going to give you more problem than worrying about a small difference in the testing method

Hello to everyone. After postponing twice I finally had my echo today. No changes so good. We discussed the Lab draw vs my Vantus machine.
He said the difference of 2.9 to 3.3 was ok. I asked if I should do a Lab draw every year. He said once a year is fine. I have the Vantus. He said I should ask the company if the machine does a self check to standardize? Or how do they standardize?
He said labs do that before they start in the morning.

That's only a .5 spread and, if you are like me, you will find it difficult to stay in that tight of a range.
and an entirely unnecessarily narrow range too ... it provides nothing therapeutic.

This is the well established range of "don't go under or over the walls"
(which you'll note are steep below 2 and above 4.9)
14626794599_c646b1872d_b.jpg

having a range so narrow only increases anxiety of "oh my god, I'm out of range" when indeed the entire basis of "range" is simply a statistical exersize anyway.

The new guidelines give for mechanical valves aspirin 80 μg +warfarin. For the reason that aspirin dilutes the blood you will have more bleeding maybe for this reason they want the INR not over 3 . The livanova recently take CE mark for inr 2 in people space other problems Ι have no any problems so if I can to be around inr 3. I believe it will ideal .
Considering a difference of +0.3 from lab I will be at 2.7, I am not stressed by the range as long as I am above 2.5 and up to 3.5 I think I will be ok.

and an entirely unnecessarily narrow range too ... it provides nothing therapeutic.

This is the well established range of "don't go under or over the walls"
(which you'll note are steep below 2 and above 4.9)
14626794599_c646b1872d_b.jpg

having a range so narrow only increases anxiety of "oh my god, I'm out of range" when indeed the entire basis of "range" is simply a statistical exersize anyway.

I've maintained 2-2.5 for the past 7 years w/o much trouble testing every 2-3 weeks. I was told not to change dosage if it is outside 2-2.5 but within 1.8-2.7 just test in a 5-7 days to make sure it's not a trend. It usually is not a trend.

I don't get "oh my, I'm out of range" anxiety because "it is what it is" and INR measurement and INR ranges are not exact sciences.

I've maintained 2-2.5 for the past 7 years w/o much trouble

well good for you ... has it ever occured to you that this is simply a natural attribute of YOU? Because its like you saying "I never have trouble reaching the top cupboard, why do you always have trouble?" (when your 6"2 and your mum is 5")

Have you not notced others do? Or do you just like being smug about this?

I mean if you have some method you use which allows this then great, why not share that, but in the many years you've kept saying this its never been mentioned by you that its attributed to something you do.

So if you WERE irregular and now you do xxxxx and are no longer irregular then please share it ... otherwise ... whooopdie do?

I don't get "oh my, I'm out of range" anxiety because "it is what it is" and INR
Good for you. (but you also don't get INR out of range either you just asserted) Have you not noticed others seem to and seem to be anxious? (or did you think I was writing that for you?)

Last edited:
well good for you ... has it ever occured to you that this is simply a natural attribute of YOU? Because its like you saying "I never have trouble reaching the top cupboard, why do you always have trouble?" (when your 6"2 and your mum is 5")

Have you not notced others do? Or do you just like being smug about this?

I mean if you have some method you use which allows this then great, why not share that, but in the many years you've kept saying this its never been mentioned by you that its attributed to something you do.

So if you WERE irregular and now you do xxxxx and are no longer irregular then please share it ... otherwise ... whooopdie do?

Good for you. (but you also don't get INR out of range either you just asserted) Have you not noticed others seem to and seem to be anxious? (or did you think I was writing that for you?)

Thanks for the inappropriate analogy. High cupboards are not the point. Even with cupboards though, building standards set cupboard handles within the reach of most people. Manufacturer's INR ranges are like that building standard, most can reach it, but some cannot.

Just because your INR doesn't stay readily within a 0.5 range doesn't mean it's uncommon for everyone else.

At least two valve product lines, from two different firms, have had studies that have shown that narrower ranges (+/-0.5 INR) are safe, can be achieved and are thus recommended. This means there are many people that can maintain that narrower range. Those are consensus opinions maybe even actual facts. Probably conservative opinions/facts given the litigious nature of US society.

As far as my personal medical opinions, my two cardios and two internists over the years have both told me there is nothing "special" needed to maintain an INR within 0.5 except testing more frequently than once a month. I have kept it within 0.5 INR for 8 1/2 years.

When it comes to INR anxiety, I used to get it. Then I had an operation where I had to drop low and didn't stroke out. I started listening to my coumadin clinic and cardio who didn't get excited either when I had to drop my INR for surgery or it dropped due to life. Your quote cut of the end of my statement about why I no longer get anxious "INR measurement and INR ranges are not exact sciences."

By the way, my mother was short but not 5 inches :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the inappropriate analogy. High cupboards are not the point.
actually its an entirely correct one, you have a metabolism which allows your INR to remain stable, I do not believe this is common across even most of the community. Yet you continually brag about how "My INR is super stable" ... that's not helpful to someone to whom its not. Someone new who has as yet not realised that INR variations are the NORM not the exception.

A quick look at almost EVERY study shows that most people are not stable without intervention. You claim that you do nothing to keep it within a range of far narrower band than almost anyone in the group. Further I'm willing to bet that I have more discussions with people about their INR than you, and what I see is that such a band of 0.5INR units is impossible for most most of the time without some adjustments. You frequently claim you make none.

Your continual posting in this reguard would be like The Gym Guy saying "I bench 200kg, its easy"

Genetic predispositions matter ... height is one and so are the many and various aspects of metabolism including INR.

sorry about getting " and ' mixed up ... I hate imperial anyway ... ;-)

People seem to forget the that that the world majority of warfarin users are managed by people other than themselves and if someone is in range 60+% of the time they’re stable and safe, and people believe that.
This is mine the last 18 months, with an XS meter and I find my INR can be pin point the same for weeks on end or boingin like its on a rubber band... a steady hand on the tiller 🖖😉
248C7141-4B6D-4C7F-B665-DC4D8C1EF495.png

Last edited:
I am always anxious the day I test. I can't help it. I have to switch to Jantoven in a month or so. I will be out of Coumadin. Doctor already gave me prescription for Jantoven. I am super anxious about the change. This blog helps me manage it. Thank you to all who help. He did say he wants me to test every week at first when I make the change. It will probably be end of October more or less. Ill post how it goes. Will I be able to eat the same way? Will I still be able to have my wine in the evening? I usually have one or two. Hope so. Best to everyone.

I have never taken Jantoven. However, I switched from Coumadin to generic warfarin in 2004 or early 2005 and have taken warfari manufactured by 3 or 4 pharmaceutical companies since then. I have maintained my regular eating habits all throughout.
I may be unusual, but my INR has not wavered when starting a bottle from a different manufacturer or when switching from Coumadin. Perhaps it’s because I maintain my eating habits and I do eat quite a bit of green things and use olive oil in cooking and making salad dressings. (Olive oil is heart healthy; being a fat, it does have vitamin K.)
You can have your wine. Just be consistent. If you have a glass nightly, continue doing so. Do not have a glass one night, then a bottle the next night. 😉

I have never taken Jantoven. However, I switched from Coumadin to generic warfarin in 2004 or early 2005 and have taken warfari manufactured by 3 or 4 pharmaceutical companies since then. I have maintained my regular eating habits all throughout.
I may be unusual, but my INR has not wavered when starting a bottle from a different manufacturer or when switching from Coumadin. Perhaps it’s because I maintain my eating habits and I do eat quite a bit of green things and use olive oil in cooking and making salad dressings. (Olive oil is heart healthy; being a fat, it does have vitamin K.)
You can have your wine. Just be consistent. If you have a glass nightly, continue doing so. Do not have a glass one night, then a bottle the next night. 😉
I do tend to eat consistently the same things. Hopefully I’ll be lucky too! Thank you.😊

Sheenas7 - I would advise that when you make the switch to Jantoven that you be extra diligent in NOT changing your diet or drinking habits. That way you will know that any major change in your INR was probably due to the Jantoven and not to your diet. I would also give it at least a month (4 tests) before coming to any conclusions. If in fact your INR is off consistently with the Jantoven, make changes in your dosage up or down as appropriate but you should never have to change your diet or give up anything that you were previously enjoying. BTW, I am happy to report that despite my previously posted concern about switching from Coumadin to generic Warfarin I have not had any unusual swings in my INR with the Amneal brand, which I am thrilled about. Good luck with the Jantoven and let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back