Coag-Sense Reviews

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that this has been covered in other forums numerous times,but it's worth repeating here:

Pellicle's instructions for getting a good incision are excellent.

You should be sure that your lancet is 21 gauge - the smaller ones that are made for blood sugar testing are too small.
As Pellicle also mentioned, the depth (if you're using a device that takes lancets) can be adjusted so that the incision is deep enough to get a large enough drop, but not so deep that it goes in deeper than necessary. I bought a lifetime supply of 21 gauge lancets on eBay a few years ago -- hundreds (maybe a thousand or more) - at a ridiculously low price - but I don't use them and don't seem to be able to give them away.

I've had more success with the one use lancing devices that are designed for INR testing. A number of companies sell them online. They seem to make a good incision, and once the incision has been made the lancet retracts inside the device. As long as my hand is prepared (warmed, dried, and often with a bit of pressure below the knuckle so that the blood pools in the fingertip), I usually have very successful incisions and get enough blood for the test.

As a user of the Coag-Sense, I'm wondering if you're using the Micropipette that it comes with or the little sampling tubes? The new version of the tubes makes it pretty easy to draw the blood. Once the incision is made, make sure that you get a good sized drop, then touch the tip of the tube to the drop of blood. Capillary action in the tube will draw the blood in. You can easily see on the tube if there's enough blood for the test. Next, cover the little air hole in the end of the tube, place it on top of (but not inside of) the sampling hole, and just squeeze to transfer the blood onto the strip. If you don't have these sample collection tubes, they're probably available from Coag-Sense, and possibly from other vendors.

Again, although the micropipette worked, having a single piece that can be used to collect and deposit the sample, rather than having to mess with the micropipette was easier for me - and may make testing even easier for you and your daughter. (The capillary action is rather interesting, too - and may be even more interesting to a 12 year old)

Back