Clotting Factor

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tex4ever54

Greetings:

Even though I have chosen the On-x valve for mt AVR, another factor has arisen that may change my choice. Out of the blue last week, mt younger brother developed a blood clot in his leg and was rushed to the hospital. They found out that the clots had moved to his lungs. Luckily it was caught in time and he is fine but oddly enough they want him on Coumadin for the rest of his life. During his stay at the hospital the blood work they did showed that his "Factor V Leiden" (I think that is the term) was elevated. The Factor V Leiden shows that he is much more likely to develop clot then the rest of the general public. Have any of your Dr.s ran blood work to check for this? I seems that it could play a big part in one's choice between tissue and mechanical, or how high one's INR should be. I have not pressed my Dr. to have the test done as it may not even be a factor. I would like get yall's (Texas talk) opinions before discussing it with him. Thanks in advance!!!!!

That sounds like something you should look into Tex, especially if it could have a hereditary factor involved.

'AL Capshaw'

Well, if your sole rationale for going with a tissue valve is to stay off of warfarin, that goes out the window if it turns out that you require ACT anyway for an unrelated problem. Then you may as well go for the mechanical and decrease your odds of needing a re-op.

Tex:
I have not heard of this factor.
Two weeks ago a friend in California was hospitalized from Tuesday night-Saturday afternoon for a DVT & 2 pulmonary emboli. She had a DVT about 4-5 years ago.
She's on Coumadin now permanently ... I did not ask her if the doctors had done any testing for any factors related to the clot formation.

BTW, I've shared my Coumadin knowledge w/ her. She said a nurse came into her hospital room, read off a list of veggies and that was the sum total of her education about what to watch for.
She didn't know that her beloved guacamole is medium high in vitamin K, until I told her. :(

Blood Work

Blood Work

tex4ever54 said:
Greetings:

The Factor V Leiden shows that he is much more likely to develop clot then the rest of the general public. Have any of your Dr.s ran blood work to check for this? QUOTE]

Tex

I did a whole swag of blood work prior to my op and was found to have a deficiency in the Factor 8 protein - which inhibits clotting [not necessarily a bad thing for a valver but introduces a complexity to the INR meds]. In my associated research I came across the Factor V Leiden condition often and it appears it is not an uncommon condition. I cant give too many details as it wasnt my principal focus - suffice to say that there is quite a bit of resources out there on the web. Try searching in any number of medical sites and you will soon have some medical based answers to give you some background.

Regards

Russell

Latest posts

Back