Closer watch on Aortic Aneurysm

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gntelbear

HI...i havent posted in a while. I had my Aortic valve replaced in 2010 with a St Jude Valve. I am now on my 3rd
pacemaker due to tissue damaged during the valve surgery. My most recent CT scan shows my acending aortic
aneurysm has grown from 4.6 to 4.9 Cms. They will now follow me with a CT scan every 6 months as opposed
to once per year. My aneurysm had been fairly stable OTHER than a pop like this about 4 years ago. Then my
CT scans showed my Aneurysm stable ay 4.6 Cmc again. Almost like it grew significantly and then shrunk back
to the previous measurement. I wondered if anyone on the forum has seen this type of scenario and if so, what
then happened in regards to the aneurysm either remaining stable or growing and ultimately needing surgery. I would
love to hear back from any and all. Thanks so much.

HI...i havent posted in a while. I had my Aortic valve replaced in 2010 with a St Jude Valve. I am now on my 3rd
pacemaker due to tissue damaged during the valve surgery. My most recent CT scan shows my acending aortic
aneurysm has grown from 4.6 to 4.9 Cms. They will now follow me with a CT scan every 6 months as opposed
to once per year. My aneurysm had been fairly stable OTHER than a pop like this about 4 years ago. Then my
CT scans showed my Aneurysm stable ay 4.6 Cmc again. Almost like it grew significantly and then shrunk back
to the previous measurement. I wondered if anyone on the forum has seen this type of scenario and if so, what
then happened in regards to the aneurysm either remaining stable or growing and ultimately needing surgery. I would
love to hear back from any and all. Thanks so much.
I don't think aortic aneurysms ever shrink but I know that respected medical professionals can look at the same CT or echo and come up with slightly varying measurements. Last spring, my aneurysm of the ascending aorta varied from 5.3 cm to 5.6 cm depending on who looked at it. So it probably is wise to get it on disc and ask 3 or more medical people to read it. In my case, the upward trend in recent years was clear, so I had a successful surgery last September and am now enjoying cardiac rehab. It's good that they are going to monitor you closely. I wish you all the best!

I agree and think it unlikely that the aneurysm shrank. I can understand them wanting to keep a closer eye now. And different surgeons may view your threshhold for surgery differently. Because of my body type, I had surgery at 4.9/5.0. Best to you!

Latest posts

Back