Climbed first "mountain" and back to biking / running

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Now 5 weeks post op for MVR.

Had my post-op and the surgeon said I could do anything that did not impact the sternum but to take it slow and easy on stuff that uses chest muscles.

My daughter was home for the weekend so I did my first "mountain" climb of the Great Blue Hill (635') south of Boston. No sweat.

Starting to bike indoors and to jog a little on the track to prepare for a local October off-road biathlon.

It's a good day to be alive.

John

I second that emotion!

I second that emotion!

jds said:
Now 5 weeks post op for MVR.

Had my post-op and the surgeon said I could do anything that did not impact the sternum but to take it slow and easy on stuff that uses chest muscles.

My daughter was home for the weekend so I did my first "mountain" climb of the Great Blue Hill (635') south of Boston. No sweat.

Starting to bike indoors and to jog a little on the track to prepare for a local October off-road biathlon.

It's a good day to be alive.

John

John

Congratulations! Well done. It is indeed a good day to be alive.

I had my AVR/aneurysm repair one week before yours. I am a bike rider, and was able to start indoor riding a few weeks ago. Friday and today I went out on my first road rides...25 miles each ride. Everything felt GREAT...except my legs. I need a lot more time in the saddle to get them back in shape.

I am committed to do the PMC in August. We all need a goal, right?

Take it easy at first and let your body tell you when to stop.

You'll be dynamite in October

Best of luck

Fast Eddie

Glad to hear you are doing so well. At 5 weeks I was still pretty low key. Keep it up (but don't over do it). Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery.

Nicely Done

Nicely Done

Nicely done! It is indeed great to be alive and back in the saddle.

It sounds like your recovery and rehab are going well.

-Philip

You guys are amazing.

Eddie, I'm going under the knife Friday. If my fingers are right, you did 2 back to back 25 milers about 6 weeks after surgery. Very, very impressive.

25 miles is my favorite distance. I have a ride that is 25.5 miles from my front door, out and back. About 18 of it is along the Atlantic Ocean on Jupiter Island, Florida, past the mansions of the rich and beautiful and/or the beatiful blue water. I was riding that route twice a week in the morning before work and then stretching it out to 50 or so most weekends, at least up until they told me to take it easy.

Lets see, 6 weeks from July 6 is around August 20 or so. One of my secret goals to work toward is making my 25.5 mile ride in 90 minutes or less. I know it will take a while to work up to that, but if I can get a good, solid 25 miler in before the end of August, I will be very, very happy!

Congrats to you guys on the other side. Don't look back, cuz starting next week, I'll be on that side, gaining on you!

John

John, you certainly have the right attitude and it's that 'secret goal' that will get you where you want to go. Just keep that in your sight because when you first go out there, you're going to wonder how you'll ever make it. Since my surgery, AVR replacement--it'll be 9 months on Thursday, I've achieved every goal I set. I'm more a runner than bike rider and 6 weeks after surgery I ran/walked a 5k in 39 minutes. Fourteen weeks post, I ran a 5K in 34 without walking. I've run two 1/2 marathons (2:30 and 2:10) and a 10K. I was only able to do it because I commited myself to my goals and you'll be able to do the same.

I am around 5 months post surgery. My pre-surgery goal was to start bike riding after my surgery. A few weeks post surgery I had a bout of a-flutter and ended up having issues that has put me on several medications to deal with those issues. I started bike riding with my husband and have been able to ride up to 15 miles with no problems. I was ready to try a 40 mile bike ride in the next couple of weeks. Because of some of my earlier issues with some of the medication I was put on to deal with the a-flutter, my husband insisted on me asking my cardiologist about the bike riding. Welp, my doctor put the brakes :) on my extending my bike rides. He said because of the heat and the medications I am on he doesn't want me to over-exert myself. I was bummed but he also took me off of 2 of the medications so I happy about that at the same time. There is a ride in August called the 'Hotter 'n Hell'. Now I am going to try to look at 25 miles instead of 50 miles....:cool:

Go for it Mary - do what you can!

Go for it Mary - do what you can!

Hi -

Go for the 25 if you are not ready for the 50.

My big goals for the year are to (1) complete a duathlon race (run-bike-run) the end of September at 5 months post surgery and (2) start easy lead-climbing again by the end of the year.

If I don't make these, my heart will not be broken. I now know what a broken heart really feels like. I will do a biathlon or triathlon next summer and start lead climbing next spring.

Good luck to both of us -

John

Latest posts

Back