Clicking sound of mechanical valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tom - not sure what you mean about it being a "tell". Could you explain please? And just for the record, this was a planning meeting, not a negotiation...

A tell is a physical attribute that "tells" one's adversary about what you are thinking or what type of person you may be. The classic one is a vein in the neck that becomes noticeable or begins to throb when someone has an exceptionally good hand in cards. The best cops can recognize tells almost instinctively, such as a hand in front of the mouth when an individual lies. Mentalists use it in their acts as well as magicians. Most people don't notice these things, but you can be trained to spot them. I'm in quality and the plenary session of one of my society's meetings had a fascinating presentation on the subject. For example, people who shake your hand with theirs on top are or have a need to be dominant. Tells are personal but can also be cultural.

The volume and/or speed of your heartbeat could "tell" your clients that you are cool with a schedule or a price even as you try to negotiate a higher price or a longer time.

Haha - well, here's a corker for ya'll...

I have 2 valves and they're pretty damned loud. They've been in me for little over 2 years' and in general I find I notice them less and less.

But.....

Last year I had to go to Dubai for some very serious meetings with some VERY serious people. And I mean - SERIOUS!! Security folks who were responsible for securing the world leaders at last November's proposed G20 meeting in Saudi.

So I sit at the conference table - alone. Within a couple of minutes the room and the giant round table is occupied with about 15 generals, police chiefs and the like. There then happened one of those spontaneous silences that sometimes happens, and I could see the folks closest to me looking worryingly quizzical about this ticking noise inside the meeting room. I could see they were getting a little worried but in truth it hadn't occurred to me that it was my heart they were listening to. They started to talk in Arabic amongst themselves and I could see "worry" written across their faces.

And I am still in la-la land. Totally oblivious

They talk amongst themselves, and then one turns to me in a panic and tells me we have to immediately evacuate the building as they suspect a bomb, because they can all hear a loud ticking noise.

In truth - I pissed myself with laughter. They all glared at me as if I was being both stupid and disrespectful.

I blurted out that they were all listening to my "bionic heart" and they shouldn't't worry about it. The generals got up form their chairs and approached me to b sure, and a sense of mirth and good humour then invaded the conference room.

So, in effect, it was a memorable and fun ice-breaker. And they'll certainly never forget me again!!!
I think this is about the most funny story that I've ever heard! Thanks for sharing!

My On-X clicks, it’s rare that anyone hears it in most situations. Once in a while someone with good ears can hear it. I go the whole day without noticing it, not cuz I don’t hear it but because I tend to ignore it, or there’s other noises that mask it. At night it’s a different story, as often as I try, (sometimes) it’s hard to escape hearing it when I’m lying in bed. Wish it had a mute button.

I hear my On-X from time to time and so does my wife. I have had a few people with sensitive hearing ask what the ticking was from a few feet away. It was weird initially after surgery, but now I don't; even pay attention to it when I do hear it.

I have had a few people with sensitive hearing ask what the ticking was from a few feet away. It was weird initially after surgery, but now I don't; even pay attention to it when I do hear it.

Its happened to me at work. When Ive had to instruct someone on a project and we go over things at their computer and I might be leaned in to point at something on their screen, they would hear the ticking and say something, like "wow, is that your watch?!" and then they get eyes as big as saucers when I turn around and say, "no, its actually my heart" its like they are in shock and can't comprehend what I just said. Then of course they feel super guilty like they've said something they shouldn't. That was when my valve was new though and I was at a new job where people didn't know much about me or my surgery. I don't think its as audible now. Maybe it is, not sure really

Interesting feed...for me it's kind of weird...only one time have I heard the tick from my mech. Aortic valve ( Carbomedics TopHat) .

Latest posts

Back